L-29 Musings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> L29-List
transmatch(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Wow! This board really lit up. Thanks to Frank for stirring up some real emotion. I’ve had my L-29 for a little less than 2 years. Owning it has been one of the most fun things that I have ever done.  I have been a pilot all of my life and had some very memorable experiences in my career. Some of the things that I have done have exceeded my wildest expectations. When I was 35 years old I was awarded my first “Around the World” trip. I had been a captain for 8 months and the company that I work for gave me a suit case with $141000.00 in it. I was to start in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Paris and fly east with 226 passengers until we got back to Paris. The route was Paris, Muscat (Oman), Katmandu (Nepal), Chiang Mai (Thailand), Singapore, Bali (Indonesia), Sydney (Australia), Auckland (New Zealand), Tahiti, Easter Island, Mexico City, Orlando, Paris. The trip of a lifetime! I got to do it again 6 years later. Why do I bring this up? Am I bragging? No! I was just lucky. The reason that I relate this is that these trips were the highlights of my flying experience. That is until last fall when my wife convinced me to fly our L-29 from our home in St. Louis, Missouri to Wenatchee, Washington. Yes, the fuel was expensive! I told my wife (Jody) to just shred the fuel receipts. But I would do it all over again. She and I had so much fun on that trip that I can’t describe it. Selecting the route and fuel stops, flying over the Rocky Mountains in Montana at 16500 ft., getting all kinds of attention and good will at the FBOs where we stopped. When I look back on it I almost can’t believe that we did this! I don’t know if the freedom to do this will last forever in the USA, but for now we are all very fortunate to have this opportunity.  Our L-29 is our baby and we pamper the hell out of it. It is our prize possession. Many times Jody and I will go out to the hangar at night to tinker with the airplane. We set up a table in the hangar and have dinner and work on the L-29. Jody likes polishing on it and cleaning it. My son, who just joined the Army (I tried talking him into the Air Force or Navy but he has chosen the Army Way) never wants any kind of gift except a ride in the L-29. The day before he went off to basic training I asked him what he wanted for a going away present. He said: “You know what I want Dad”. So we went out to the airport and wrung out the L-29. Sometimes when leaving the hangar late at night I turn the lights off and begin to go out the door. And then, I just can’t help it, I have to turn the lights back on and take another look at our L-29. It is at these times that I still can hardly believe that I am so lucky to own this machine. I did not buy it for an investment. I will never come out ahead financially in regards to buying this airplane. I’ve already spent any conceivable profit that I might have made on fuel! It’s just not the point. The point is the experience…priceless! Frank, enjoy your airplane. It will be what you make of it. Boyce (Rampeyboy?), if you want an L-29 you will find a way to do it and I don’t think that you will regret it. But don’t let too much time go by. Come to Saint Louis if you need an L-29 fix. I’ll give you a ride and the fuel is on me! These airplanes will not be available to fly forever. There will be many pilots that look back and say: “There was a time that you could buy an L-29 for less that 50k and I didn’t do it!” What a pity.
I apologize for the length of this posting and emoting on this forum. I just wanted to put up another perspective and encourage the new guys to live their dream.
Gene Freeman
transmatch(at)aol.com (transmatch(at)aol.com)
L-29 SN 194557 (N229DD)
="_blank">AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
RAMPEYBOY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement Gene!
Boyce

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
czech6(at)kellin.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

All right 2 things, First, will your wife marry me? Or Can I just borrow her - Dinner and Polishing?
Second, She encourages fuel flow?? (reconsider first question again!!)

Formation clinic in Lamar, Colorado. You should come down to the clinic. We have jets so you don't even need to bring yours. Fuel at a discount. (L-29 guy owns the FBO)

You are truely blessed.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
ainut(at)hiwaay.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Rampeyboy, What an offer!! I'd even contribute (some) on the fuel! Wow.
Danged expensive hobby but as you say, Gene, the rush is worth it.

David M.

[quote] ---

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
ainut(at)hiwaay.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Anyone in the Houston area willing to take me up? I can contribute a miniscule amount to help with fuel costs - a few hundred anyway. Or, we'll be back home in Huntsville soon. I think there a few L-29's in Gadsden... So far, I still have less than 100 official hours in my pilots logbook.

David M.

[quote] ---

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
RAMPEYBOY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

It is an excellent offer. And I would definitely contribute to the fuel. Now getting the time off from work and wife/kids to go!
Boyce

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
RAMPEYBOY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Don't feel bad David. I'm at about 120 so far!

AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
ca6209(at)flash.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Gary Cole
Houston based L29
Give me a call
Ca6209(at)flash.net (Ca6209(at)flash.net)
713-824-2204
PS will be flying at LaGrange (3T5) Sat.
As we have a 29 based there. If you need a ride to (3T5) 60 miles west of Houston you can go with me

I've stopped [b]10,750[/b] spam and fraud messages. You can too!
Free trial of spam and fraud protection at www.cloudmark.com
[img]cid:image001.gif(at)01C7D539.9B1909B0[/img]

Anyone in the Houston area willing to take me up? I can contribute a miniscule amount to help with fuel costs - a few hundred anyway. Or, we'll be back home in Huntsville soon. I think there a few L-29's in Gadsden... So far, I still have less than 100 official hours in my pilots logbook.

David M.

[quote]
---

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List

image001.gif
 Filesize:  3.28 KB
 Viewed:  4933 Time(s)

image001.gif

Back to top
jorgen.nielsen(at)mweb.co
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Gene this is a great post!

My wife has thought I was mad to have an L-29, always refused to fly in it because of risk factor (we have 2 kids). We have flown a lot together in e.g. pipers etc, and she also flew quite a few times in my Yak52. She finally relented some time back and was glowing when she stepped out of the cockpit – she now refuses to fly in any other aircraft, and only wants to fly in the jet! She also never wanted to fly aeros, now the last flight we did together she wanted and ASKED me to fly some aeros! She now understands!

Wow! This board really lit up. Thanks to Frank for stirring up some real emotion. I’ve had my L-29 for a little less than 2 years. Owning it has been one of the most fun things that I have ever done. I have been a pilot all of my life and had some very memorable experiences in my career. Some of the things that I have done have exceeded my wildest expectations. When I was 35 years old I was awarded my first “Around the World” trip. I had been a captain for 8 months and the company that I work for gave me a suit case with $141000.00 in it. I was to start in Paris and fly east with 226 passengers until we got back to Paris. The route was Paris, Muscat (Oman), Katmandu (Nepal), Chiang Mai (Thailand), Singapore, Bali (Indonesia), Sydney (Australia), Auckland (New Zealand), Tahiti, Easter Island, Mexico City, Orlando, Paris. The trip of a lifetime! I got to do it again 6 years later. Why do I bring this up? Am I bragging? No! I was just lucky. The reason that I relate this is that these trips were the highlights of my flying experience. That is until last fall when my wife convinced me to fly our L-29 from our home in St. Louis, Missouri to Wenatchee, Washington. Yes, the fuel was expensive! I told my wife (Jody) to just shred the fuel receipts. But I would do it all over again. She and I had so much fun on that trip that I can’t describe it. Selecting the route and fuel stops, flying over the Rocky Mountains in Montana at 16500 ft., getting all kinds of attention and good will at the FBOs where we stopped. When I look back on it I almost can’t believe that we did this! I don’t know if the freedom to do this will last forever in the USA, but for now we are all very fortunate to have this opportunity. Our L-29 is our baby and we pamper the hell out of it. It is our prize possession. Many times Jody and I will go out to the hangar at night to tinker with the airplane. We set up a table in the hangar and have dinner and work on the L-29. Jody likes polishing on it and cleaning it. My son, who just joined the Army (I tried talking him into the Air Force or Navy but he has chosen the Army Way) never wants any kind of gift except a ride in the L-29. The day before he went off to basic training I asked him what he wanted for a going away present. He said: “You know what I want Dad”. So we went out to the airport and wrung out the L-29. Sometimes when leaving the hangar late at night I turn the lights off and begin to go out the door. And then, I just can’t help it, I have to turn the lights back on and take another look at our L-29. It is at these times that I still can hardly believe that I am so lucky to own this machine. I did not buy it for an investment. I will never come out ahead financially in regards to buying this airplane. I’ve already spent any conceivable profit that I might have made on fuel! It’s just not the point. The point is the experience…priceless! Frank, enjoy your airplane. It will be what you make of it. Boyce (Rampeyboy?), if you want an L-29 you will find a way to do it and I don’t think that you will regret it. But don’t let too much time go by. Come to Saint Louis if you need an L-29 fix. I’ll give you a ride and the fuel is on me! These airplanes will not be available to fly forever. There will be many pilots that look back and say: “There was a time that you could buy an L-29 for less that 50k and I didn’t do it!” What a pity.

I apologize for the length of this posting and emoting on this forum. I just wanted to put up another perspective and encourage the new guys to live their dream.

Gene Freeman

transmatch(at)aol.com (transmatch(at)aol.com)

L-29 SN 194557 (N229DD)

="_blank">AOL.com.
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
[quote][b]

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
transmatch(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Bill:

The wife is not available for loan or purchase. She is one in a million! She is the one that finally pushed me over the edge as to buying the airplane. She took one look at it in the hangar and said "Oh, we have to have it!" Kinda shot down my negotiating position.

I bought my airplane from Warren Pietsch. Warren is a friend of mine and a co-worker at the same airline. Warren owns a restoration shop in Minot ND and one of the airplanes that he restored was pictured on the cover of last month's EAA Warbirds magazine, a TBM. He put my L-29 together about 11 years ago. He is currently assembling a P-51 and is selling off all non-essentials to fund this project. I know he misses the L-29 but the P-51 is the priority now.

I have not flown a minute of formation and I would like to come to Lamar to get some dual. I do belong to the RPA. I do look forward to meeting you and flying your Viper.

Gene
[quote][b]

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
czech6(at)kellin.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

I work for NWA. I know Warren and Kent very well.

We need another L-29 guy for the clinic. We have 3
L-29's And relatively cheap fuel.

We are offering the use of some Yak52s for your first couple lessons in formaton. This will allow you to learn the basics for alot less fuel cost. We have qualified Yak/Lead pilots in their Yaks. Nice offer! Then we can fly the jets for the next lessons. The only cost is your fuel! (jet & Yak)
Fly NWA into COS or DEN. We can pick you up or you can rent a car and drive down. NWA flys into both.

Sept 19-23 Look at the RPA web site under fly-ins. Lamar is listed.

We need you.

Bill

[quote] ---

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Back to top
czech6(at)kellin.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: L-29 Musings Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot, if you can't come, send wife. We need encouragment to spend alot that weekend!
[quote] ---

- The Matronics L29-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?L29-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> L29-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours