More help required.....Vac gauge problem

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: More help required.....Vac gauge problem Reply with quote

Further to my cry for help,……… fixed the Manifold Pressure problem a leaking connector at the “tee”. Does this mean that the carb balancing done will be now “off track “?
Made serious attempts at solving the vac gauge failure to register the vacuum. It works when sucked by mouth on the “v” pipe (I think it was !) but nothing on the other pipe (what does it do ?)

At what stage do I suspect the new Rapco pump isn’t actually pulling enough vacuum?(but can hear the gyros overrunning on engine shut down. And they work slower with a vacuum cleaner connected in lieu of the pump)
Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

Regards
Bob H G-PTAG (just all geared up to start Mod 74.) (no bits arrived yet !)

Robt.C.Harrison

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: More help required.....Vac gauge problem Reply with quote

Bob
imho the best type of vacuum pump is one that sucks electrons through a
lump of silicon and displays the resulting confusion on a screen!
Weighs less and doesn't pack up quite so regularly!
Graham ;-0

R.C.Harrison wrote:
Quote:
Further to my cry for help,……… fixed the Manifold Pressure problem a
leaking connector at the “tee”. Does this mean that the carb balancing
done will be now “off track “?

Made serious attempts at solving the vac gauge failure to register the
vacuum. It works when sucked by mouth on the “v” pipe (I think it was !)
but nothing on the other pipe (what does it do ?)

At what stage do I suspect the new Rapco pump isn’t actually pulling
enough vacuum?(but can hear the gyros overrunning on engine shut down.
And they work slower with a vacuum cleaner connected in lieu of the pump)

Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

Regards

Bob H G-PTAG (just all geared up to start Mod 74.) (no bits arrived yet !)

Robt.C.Harrison

*

*

--
Graham Singleton

Tel: +441629820187
Mob: +447739582005

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: More help required.....Vac gauge problem Reply with quote

Hi! Guys
The only assistance I received on my call for help was Graham Singleton with a message about neutrons! I have no intention of changing my system so it’s a vacuum system and it will stay since I don’t believe in buying gear for the sake of getting rid of working gear.

Perhaps I may have a response to the following :-

The Rapco vacuum diagram on the Internet shows a typical pipe circuit, I have replicated it on my pipe layout. The diagram shows the gauge to have a port with a tiny letter “P” and the other port with a letter “V”. Unfortunately my gauge whilst it is similar just doesn’t have the ident. letters stamped on it.
One of the ports operates the gauge when you suck the pipe, the other seems to be unable to pass air either way by mouth. If I could identify which port is which I may be able to sort out my problem?
Does anyone know just what the “dead” port does?
It always worked with the Jabiru so I’m baffled.
Then on top of this my regulator has only one connection IN and one connection OUT. I have overcome that by “T” connecting the air exit ports of DI and AH together for onwards to the regulator and then vac pump. The filter delivers to two pipes for incoming air to the DI and AH connections which are marked.
Can I presume that when the word “VAC” is on an instrument port it needs to be headed to the pump via the regulator?
No matter how the gauge is connected the gyro’s run whilst the engine runs.
Thanks useful suggestions in anticipation.

Robt.C.Harrison G-PTAG

sideslip(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: More help required.....Vac gauge problem Reply with quote

Bob,
the other side of the gauge should be connected to the line going to the air filter.
If the gauge reads when you suck on the pipe then I would thing that is the one to connect to the Vac side.
On my gauge it is marked V and P. The v relates to vent or air filter line and P relates to the vac side.
You are correct with the connections to the regulator (mine also has a single pipe with a "T".
Geoff Leedham
G_EOFS
[quote] ---

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: More help required.....Vac gauge problem Reply with quote

Hi! Geoff and Ivor,
Thanks for the “ leg up”. It all becomes more clear when you realise that one side takes incoming pressure and the other side takes the vacuum, but then having no letters on my gauge confounded me still further. Hopefully apart from Mod 74 and the PFA Flight test permit that will be all snagging done!
I can say I now understand why Rotax drivers say 90% done and 95% still to do. I could have thrown the Jabiru in three times in the time I’ve been pratting about with this! However obviously I can’t put this down to Rotax but inadequate labelling when dismantling and replacing pipes on my part.
Thanks again.
Bob H G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison