Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propellers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyk(at)kaon.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Propellers Reply with quote

There is something that has been puzling me for a while.

Many people on this group suggest one CS propeller system vs the other based on weight, cost and increased performance yet not once have I seen anyone ask about what testing programme has been run with that particular prop on the Europa.

A few years ago I was priveleged enough to be the (unpaid) test pilot for Airmaster. Airmaster, when they were ready to go into production, went out and bought a Europa with a fixed pitch prop, fitted a US$5000 in flight data recorder and I then spent 30 hours flying the plane in just about every flight configuration you could imagine.

While this was going on Airmaster were having their hub tested at Auckland University to determine the blade pull out forces (I believe they gave up at 28,000lbs) and analysing the hamonics of the system.

They then fitted the Airmaster CS prop to the aircraft and I repeated the flight test process... right up to doing rapid throttle backoffs while flying the aircraft at 185 knots with a harmonic analyser strapped to the engine at the insistance of the PFA and thoroughly exploring the climb rate under all fail conditions so that a go around is actually possible in all conditions. While flying at that speed is something that I am unlikely to repeat and wouldn't recommend except under strictly controlled test flight conditions, flying the Europa at 185 knots in a steady dive from 10000 feet is the closest I can imagine to flying a jet fighter.

Doing this test flying gave me a real respect of how good a job Europa did with the design of this aircraft and how much work goes into the design, implementation and testing of a propeller system that I'd be happy to fly behind in all situations.

When you are considering a propeller system that is an alternative to the one that Europa recommend can I suggest that you ask for their test data and ask them what flight test programme they have flown on the Europa. If that can't be provided then you need to assume that you are going to be the test pilot.

As to performance of a Europa fitted with a CS prop... in 2002 I made a flight with the data recorder running and peaked at 149KIAS/ 151KTAS at 1500 feet straight and level... this with a 912 powered Europa and Airmaster propeller fitted. After this flight I came to the conclusion that the aircraft flies far batter with the CofG as far aft as practical and now, when I am doing high speed run testing always shift the CofG aft.

Regards

Tony

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
terobo(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Propellers Reply with quote

Quote:
From Tim Robertson
The Wilcksh Diesel company Europa has an MT three bladed prop and has been

through it's approval testing by the MT company. I do not know any other
details. Hope my first posting works....

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Propellers Reply with quote

Welcome back Tony and well said. I certainly agree regarding the performance
of the Airmaster prop and the highly professional development and back up
service.
Cheers,
Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8005
New Zealand.
Ph +64 3 3515166
Mobile 021 0640221
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: