Woodcomp Prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
hgmckay

Joined: 23 May 2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Woodcomp Prop Reply with quote

I have a Woodcomp Klassic 160/3/R on my Allegro 2000. I notice that the leading edge of the prop blades have some type protective tape covering them. I also notice in the manufacturer’s installation instructions a statement that when operating in aggressive conditions or on unimproved runways (i.e. grass strips) it is necessary to protect the leading edge with a “special tape”. I have two questions:
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
  1. What is this special tape?
  2. Where does one get it if needed?
  3. How does one know when to replace it?
  4. If a prop of this type is nicked on the leading edge, can it be repaired?
  5. If it can be repaired, what is the method, and can the owner do it?
  6. On my prop this tape is carried out to the blade tip and around the curved end. The centrifugal force of the prop rotation is causing the tape to begin to separate (creep) from the end of the prop blades. This seems to me to be inefficient and could cause out of balance vibrations. Any comments?

<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Hugh McKay
Allegro 2000
N661WW
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Thom Riddle

Location: Buffalo, NY, USA (9G0)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Woodcomp Prop Reply with quote

Hugh,

We have the same prop on our Allegro but there is no leading edge tape.
We operate mostly from paved runways but also fly into unimproved ones
with some frequency. The leading edge of our prop continues to get
nicks and chips.

1. Many prop leading edge protective tapes are made of polyurethane.
2. PowerFin Props (in USA) makes one of the best products for leading
edge protection.
3. When the tape looks like it has taken all the abuse it can and is no
longer protecting the prop.
4. Yes, it is important to repair these nicks.
5. I contacted Woodcomp about what to use for these repairs and was
told to use either epoxy or polyester resins to fill the nicks. I have
and continue to use epoxy because we have some on hand. Fill the nicks
a little higher than the surrounding surface, let cure completely, then
sand down to conform to profile and polish edge. The owner can do it.
6. Balance is critical for smooth operation. Do whatever you have to do
to make sure the same amount of tape is still on each blade by trimming
or replacing the tape.

For what its worth, if our prop gets full of resin on the edges, we
will consider replacing it with a different manufacturer's prop. Two of
the most rugged and ones are Warp Drive (a good bit heavier than
Woodcomp) and the GSC props with their extremely hard material imbedded
in the leading edge of their wooden blades. I've never seen a Warp
Drive prop with any leading edge damage. I've owned and flown a GSC
prop (from BC Canada) on another airplane with pusher engine
installation (Titan Tornado) where the prop picks up all kinds of stuff
from the main wheels of the aircraft and the leading edge protection
never showed any damage. The GSC wooden props are a good bit lighter
than the Warp Drive. PowerFin also makes a very good very light prop
but it needs periodic replacement of the leading edge protection. All
the homebuilders I know who have all three of these props are very
happy with them.

http://www.powerfin.com/
http://www.warpdriveprops.com/
http://www.ultralightprops.com/tech_series_props/
gsc_tech_groundadjust.htm

I hope this helps.

Thom in Buffalo

Time: 06:24:13 AM PST US
From: "Hugh McKay III" <hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net>
Subject: Woodcomp Prop
[...]

_________________
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
airgriff(at)surferz.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Woodcomp Prop Reply with quote

Good morning Hugh and guys, I can't answer your questions without doing further research but I can tell you our tape came loose on the tips and we trimmed it back very carefully, cutting only the tape, using a sheetrock knife and it was alot neater and stayed put. Our new 07 model should arrive in the US in a week.
Bob Griffin
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours