Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(no subject)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonvog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

I am trying to set up my XDP4000x. However, the unit appears to be working, but we have completely failed at getting the XDP4000x to respond to any changes we have directed either through the 8 preset memory set-ups with through the Sony ES CDX-C90, or through the Sony Digital Sound Creator we downloaded through your web sight. We are not sure if it is the cable, or just our inexperience. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Vogel

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics XDP4000X-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List
bobbybraun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bobbybraun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: (no subject) Reply with quote

...For some reason my email system doesn't meld well with the 4000x forum, so here's another go at it... I apologize if this is a double post for any of you.

Give us a bit more info on your situation and chances are someone here will be able to help.

There's alot to take into consideration when connecting the 4000x to a computer. First of all, are you successful in making a serial connection to the 4000x? If not:

What operating system are you using?
What kind of connection are you making, are you using a serial out from the back of your computer or are you using a USB>Serial adapter?
Is your serial port or USB adapter configured to use Comm ports 1-4, and if so are you sure you're selecting the correct communication port?
Are you sure you're using a null modem serial cable, if not the 4000x will not respond?
What specific errors or problems are you running into when trying to connect?

If you are able to connect and make changes to the EQ and Crossover settings, then it is just a simple task of uploading the data to the 4000x to make the changes permanent. Under Sony's Digital Sound Creator just click on 'Communications' and select 'Upload to DSP' from the drop down menu.

I am only familiar with using Sony's DSC software, since as far as I know the Matronics software is incomplete and only allows changes to be made to the EQ portion of your processor. Due to this shortcoming, I recommend sticking to the official software to avoid further complications.

(Sorry Matt, would love for you to complete the software and unlock those crossover points someday, but if it hasn't happened by now, I fear it never will!)

Jonvog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

We have just ordered a Keyspan USA-19HS cable to arrive Monday. Any Idea how I can quickly get the correct software. We have spent countless hours trying to set this up, and are at a loss, about to give up and go to a different crossover, however, we would prefer to use this Sony.

We are using Windows XP.

Thanks,

John Vogel
Angelo

In a message dated 6/15/2007 10:23:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobbybraun(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
...For some reason my email system doesn't meld well with the 4000x forum, so here's another go at it... I apologize if this is a double post for any of you.

Give us a bit more info on your situation and chances are someone here will be able to help.

There's alot to take into consideration when connecting the 4000x to a computer. First of all, are you successful in making a serial connection to the 4000x? If not:

What kind of connection are you making, are you using a serial out from the back of your computer or are you using a USB>Serial adapter?
Is your serial port or USB adapter configured to use Comm ports 1-4, and if so are you sure you're selecting the correct communication port?
Are you sure you're using a null modem serial cable, if not the 4000x will not respond?

If you are able to connect and make changes to the EQ and Crossover settings, then it is just a simple task of uploading the data to the 4000x to make the changes permanent. Under Sony's Digital Sound Creator just click on 'Communications' and select 'Upload to DSP' from the drop down menu.

I am only familiar with using Sony's DSC software, since as far as I know the Matronics software is incomplete and only allows changes to be made to the EQ portion of your processor. Due to this shortcoming, I recommend sticking to the official software to avoid further complications.

[quote][b]

randyman(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

"Sorry Matt, would love for you to complete the software and unlock those crossover points someday, but if it hasn't happened by now, I fear it never will!"

I think you are right. I just wish the darn High X-Over would go down to 2k and maybe another mid X-Over point around 300Hz...

But on the bright side, I'm re-configuring my system big-time, but the C90 and XDP-4000x will still be the heart of the system Smile (for now)

PS - Are there any portable HD players (iPods) that have a way of getting Toslink Optical audio out of them? The iPod does not have anything but USB/Firewire, and the only Firewire-to-SPDIF "iPod Docks" I have seen are over $1000. A Computer will accomplish this conversion, but I don't have a PC in my truck yet (and when I do, an iPod will be totally redundant - as will the XDP). Are there any models that support SPDIF Natively?

Keep on Rocking XDP/ES-Alumni!

Randy V.

On 6/15/07, Jonvog(at)aol.com (Jonvog(at)aol.com) <Jonvog(at)aol.com (Jonvog(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Quote:
We have just ordered a Keyspan USA-19HS cable to arrive Monday. Any Idea how I can quickly get the correct software. We have spent countless hours trying to set this up, and are at a loss, about to give up and go to a different crossover, however, we would prefer to use this Sony.

We are using Windows XP.

Thanks,

John Vogel
Angelo

In a message dated 6/15/2007 10:23:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobbybraun(at)comcast.net (bobbybraun(at)comcast.net) writes:
Quote:

Quote:

--
Randy V.
Houston, TX
Audio-Dude/Musician/Crazy Guy [quote][b]

bobbybraun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: (no subject) Reply with quote

Here is a link to the most recent revision of Sonys DSC Software, version 3.03. I've had problems running version 2.0 under XP so I recommend sticking to this version unless you have some serious conflicts. If you have problems running the software, try enabling Windows 98 Compatibility mode by right clicking on the executable file.

http://www.matronics.com/XDP-4000X/dsc_setup_v3_03h.exe

I see no reason for the Keyspan USB>Serial adapter not to work. A couple of key points before you try to make the connection.

You must 1st make sure that the USB Adapter is being set up to communicate through COM 1-4 (to be safe I recommend using ports 1-3, as I've had conflicts with COM 4 before, but that could just be my computer)

You must also make sure that no other device on your system is using the chosen COMM port, or you'll run into problems.

To verify which COMM port the device is using, go to Device Manager. If installed correctly, your device name as well as the COMM port it is using should be listed 'Ports (COM and LTP)'.

From there, to chose a different COMM port (you only need to do this if the default port is higher than 4) highlight the Keyspan device and select properties, then click on the Port Settings tab and click on the Advanced button. A dialog box will pop up and the COMM Port Number should be selectable in the bottom left corner.

If you don't have one already, you will still need to purchase a ''null modem serial cable' such as this one. The Keyspan adapter will not directly connect to the 4000x.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=16637

Just to clarify, to make any modifications to the 4000x's EQ and Crossover Presets, you must have a laptop connected to the 4000x and be running Sonys Digital Sound Creator software. You cannot make any changes to the presets directly from the C90 head unit, you can only choose from the different presets made available.

I guess I am still a bit confused as to what specific problem you ran into earlier. It doesn't sound like you have all the parts necessary to make a computer connection to the 4000x. To avoid damaging any components or from further adding to your frustration I'd wait until I had everything gathered together and set up before I'd proceed.

I hope this answers all your questions. Good luck!

Jonvog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

We have tried and tried to make this work, with no success, form different cables, to different computers, etc. Does anyone know of an expert in the NY area that I could hire to complete the package?

John

In a message dated 6/15/2007 10:23:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobbybraun(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
For some reason my email system doesn't meld well with the 4000x forum, so here's another go at it... I apologize if this is a double post for any of you.

(Sorry Matt, would love for you to complete the software and unlock those crossover points someday, but if it hasn't happened by now, I fear it never will!)

[quote][b]

bobbybraun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: (no subject) Reply with quote

If you're certain you have a null modem serial cable and that your 4000x is in proper working condition then there must be a configuration conflict in your computer system.

If you have Windows XP and the most recent version of Windows Live Messenger I would be willing to connect to your computer remotely and have a look around, making sure everything is set up properly. Otherwise, I cannot be of any more help. Let me know.

Jonvog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

I have the following cable which I bought specifically for this project, since my laptop only allows for a USB. I bought a Keyspan High Speed USB Serial Adapter ( USA-19HS ). This was recommended on the Matronics web sight.

Perhaps this is part of the problem. I will be traveling through next Wed. June 27. However, I would be happy to have you take a look. I do have Windows XP, so we could arrange to have you take a look through Windows Live Messenger, at your convenience upon my return.

Many thanks,

John

In a message dated 6/22/2007 11:25:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobbybraun(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
If you're certain you have a null modem serial cable and that your 4000x is in proper working condition then there must be a configuration conflict in your computer system.

If you have Windows XP and the most recent version of Windows Live Messenger I would be willing to connect to your computer remotely and have a look around, making sure everything is set up properly. Otherwise, I cannot be of any more help. Let me know.

[quote][b]

dr.richardwarwick(at)goog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

I hope this isn't stating the obvious, but don't forget that a USB to serial adaptor needs a manufacturer specific driver. I struggled for ages before I found this out. Just plugging it in isn't enough, and there are no generic drivers. It has to be the CD that came with the cable/adaptor. My 2p.

Rich

On 22/06/07, Jonvog(at)aol.com (Jonvog(at)aol.com) <Jonvog(at)aol.com (Jonvog(at)aol.com)> wrote: [quote] I have the following cable which I bought specifically for this project, since my laptop only allows for a USB. I bought a Keyspan High Speed USB Serial Adapter ( USA-19HS ). This was recommended on the Matronics web sight.

Perhaps this is part of the problem. I will be traveling through next Wed. June 27. However, I would be happy to have you take a look. I do have Windows XP, so we could arrange to have you take a look through Windows Live Messenger, at your convenience upon my return.

Many thanks,

John

In a message dated 6/22/2007 11:25:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobbybraun(at)comcast.net (bobbybraun(at)comcast.net) writes:
Quote:

Quote:

[b]

Jonvog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

Rich-

Thanks for the information, but yes, the driver that was supplied and installed, but I still could not get the XDP4000X to respond. I am sure I am doing something simple, wrong, but have grown increasingly frustrated, but have not given up yet.

John

In a message dated 6/22/2007 8:02:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dr.richardwarwick(at)googlemail.com writes:
Quote:
I hope this isn't stating the obvious, but don't forget that a USB to serial adaptor needs a manufacturer specific driver. I struggled for ages before I found this out. Just plugging it in isn't enough, and there are no generic drivers. It has to be the CD that came with the cable/adaptor. My 2p.

Rich

[quote][b]

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: (no subject) Reply with quote

XDP-4000x'ers,

I missed the first part of this thread, so pardon if this is a repeat... Be sure that you are using the correct cable. This can not be stressed enough. Simply a cable with the right connectors on the *is not enough*. It has to be a null modem cable and this dictates a particular wiring configuration. On my XDP-4000x website ( http://www.matronics.com/xdp4000x/ ), I specific the exact cable you'll need (scroll down towards the bottom of the page). You'll need this specific cable for it to work. These used to be available from CompUSA, and are certainly available on-line.

Good luck,

Matt Dralle
At 02:49 AM 6/23/2007 Saturday, you wrote:
Quote:
Rich-

Thanks for the information, but yes, the driver that was supplied and installed, but I still could not get the XDP4000X to respond. I am sure I am doing something simple, wrong, but have grown increasingly frustrated, but have not given up yet.

John

In a message dated 6/22/2007 8:02:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dr.richardwarwick(at)googlemail.com writes:

Rich

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: