Painting fiberglass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
george.mueller(at)aurora.
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Painting fiberglass Reply with quote

I am finishing up my "practice airplane" a Zenith 701 before starting either a RV7A or RV8A. I am not going to paint the airplane for a while but I want to paint the fiberglass cowl silver to blend in with the rest of the airplane. You guys work with a lot of fiberglass. What relatively non-toxic (i.e., not polyurethane) primer/paint is good for fiberglass?

Also, I am 6' 3" 230 pounds. Should I go with a 7A or 8A?

George in Milwaukee
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
fstringham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Painting fiberglass Reply with quote

George

Check out Aircraft Finishing Systrems products.
http://www.aircraftfinishing.com/

I am building a 7A...but those 8,s sure look like prime time!!!!!

Frank (at) SGU RV7A "NDY"
Quote:
From: george.mueller(at)aurora.org
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Painting fiberglass
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:34:24 -0500

I am finishing up my "practice airplane" a Zenith 701 before starting
either a RV7A or RV8A. I am not going to paint the airplane for a while
but I want to paint the fiberglass cowl silver to blend in with the rest
of the airplane. You guys work with a lot of fiberglass. What relatively
non-toxic (i.e., not polyurethane) primer/paint is good for fiberglass?

Also, I am 6' 3" 230 pounds. Should I go with a 7A or 8A?

George in Milwaukee

$771/month*

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
panamared5(at)brier.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Painting fiberglass Reply with quote

Quote:
You guys work with a lot of fiberglass. What relatively non-toxic
(i.e., not polyurethane) primer/paint is good for fiberglass?

Also, I am 6' 3" 230 pounds. Should I go with a 7A or 8A?

Ah Ha, a building question? Good deal.

Use Smooth Prime as the primer for fiberglass, get it from Aircraft
Spruce. I used PPG two part paint. Works well on fiberglass and metal.

7A or 8A? Do you want the passenger beside you or behind you. If you
like your passengers, then it is easier to talk and show things side
by side. Sizewise, two 230 pounders might be a little tight in an
7A. If you want to sit on the centerline then the RV8A is one way to go.

You could also go with an RV7 or RV8. Personally I don't think
tricycle gear looks good on a tailwheel airplane! But that is just me!

Latest peer reviewed scientific study that my big business paid for
and was fully supported by all my environmental whacky politicians,
indicated that tricycle gear RVs cause global warming and the next
ice age. If you do go with a tricycle gear, it will probably doom us
all, and life as we know it will be no more.

Bob
RV6
"Wicked Witch of the West"

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours