Exhaust problem - advice sought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
Tim(at)MyRV10.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Exhaust problem - advice sought Reply with quote

I was almost ready to fire the engine up today. I went to
install my plugs and found that my EGT probe locations I
chose on the right half of the engine interfered with my
sparkplugs. I had left the engine pickled, so I never
removed the temporary plugs they had in the cylinders, lest
I lose my oil that was in the cylinders.

So, now I need to move the probes. Repositioning them
is easy, but has anyone ever had to have old EGT
probe holes patched up before? Should they
just weld them up, or will that tend to enlarge them
instead of filling them? Monday a.m. I'm going to
get on the phone with an aerospace welding shop, but I just
thought I'd take a chance here and see if my inbox brings
me any good news in the a.m.

I would have finished my W&B today and been only about
2 hours away from being ready for inspection if I hadn't
hit this bump.

Tim
--
Tim Olson -- RV-10 #40170
DO NOT ARCHIVE

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
coop85(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Exhaust problem - advice sought Reply with quote

Tim,
Just a stab in the dark, but you might consider using an old probe and
leave it in there to fill the hole. Maybe trim down the length to minimize
any extra interference with the exhaust. I just glued the right door
together so my brain may not be coming up with the most useful ideas!

Marcus
40286

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Exhaust problem - advice sought Reply with quote

Any good welder familiar with stainless steel can weld up the old holes.
A really good welder can do it in a way it will be barely detectable.
IIRC You have two of the big names in exhaust repair within one
state...Dawley in WI and Aerospace Welding or something like that in MN.

Tim Olson wrote:
[...]

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Exhaust problem - advice sought Reply with quote

Tim Olson wrote:
Just weld them up ...... or you can just place a SS clamp over the hole
.... if there's room. A bit of 'muffler patch' under the clamp
probably won't hurt either.
Linn do not archive

[...]

rv10es(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Exhaust problem - advice sought Reply with quote

I had welded the holes in past on my RV6. As long as the welder is
skilled and does not put a big glob on it.

rob kermanj
rv10es(at)earthlink.net

On Feb 5, 2006, at 11:00 PM, Tim Olson wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Exhaust problem - advice sought Reply with quote

I checked on Aircraft Exhaust Technologies website (they do some
of the RV-10 exhaust parts) today and foun this statement:

"321 stainless steel should be welded with 347 filler rod. Often times
not available through local welder's supply, we offer a variety of
thicknesses."

I checked locally and nobody has 347 rods, but have some good news.
Chris at AET said he'd either send me a rod for free or I could
ship him the exhaust and he'd weld them for free. I didn't want
the shipping and turn-around delay (1 day shipping or 3 days
including 2 way shipping to have it done) because I could possibly
get my inspection Sunday (I'll be in Oregon Wed-Sat). Chris
then did the amazing. He knew that I'm only 1.5 hours from
Aerospace Welding in the Twin Cities, and he called them and they
agreed to also do the welding job for free, on the spot, if
I brought it over to them today. I have had previous welding
done at Aerospace Welding with great results, so I know they'll
do a good job.

I just wanted to pass on the results of this dilema, since
both companies are proving their superior customer support.
I should be over there later today and have it back on
the plane tonight...and then I can do the W&B, and maybe
be taxi-ing this week before I leave for Transition Training.

Tim Olson -- RV-10 #40170

Tim Olson wrote:

> I was almost ready to fire the engine up today. I went to
> install my plugs and found that my EGT probe locations I
> chose on the right half of the engine interfered with my
> sparkplugs. I had left the engine pickled, so I never
> removed the temporary plugs they had in the cylinders, lest
> I lose my oil that was in the cylinders.
>
> So, now I need to move the probes. Repositioning them
> is easy, but has anyone ever had to have old EGT
> probe holes patched up before? Should they
> just weld them up, or will that tend to enlarge them
> instead of filling them? Monday a.m. I'm going to
> get on the phone with an aerospace welding shop, but I just
> thought I'd take a chance here and see if my inbox brings
> me any good news in the a.m.
>
> I would have finished my W&B today and been only about
> 2 hours away from being ready for inspection if I hadn't
> hit this bump.
>
> Tim

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours