Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

I am about ready to do the instrument panel and have not yet finalized what instruments that I want.  I am interested in how much cutting  most builders did to allow enough room for their instruments.  I remember some pictures of Vic Syricuse's but can't find them.  Any imput from those who have gone before?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
sam.marlow(at)adelphia.ne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

This what I did, It's low profile, and plenty strong. I believe it's 90/1000 ths, AL.
[img]cid:part1.06080905.05020809(at)adelphia.net[/img]

Gary Specketer wrote:
Quote:
Message I am about ready to do the instrument panel and have not yet finalized what instruments that I want.  I am interested in how much cutting  most builders did to allow enough room for their instruments.  I remember some pictures of Vic Syricuse's but can't find them.  Any imput from those who have gone before?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv10_sub_panel_cutout.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  825.05 KB
 Viewed:  602 Time(s)

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

You really need to know which avionics and where they are going. The depth of the sub panel is insufficient for most avionics. see the picture...After you select the radios you will need to cut some holes in the subpanel or allow some radios to protrude out from the instrument panel.

Secondly unless you have masochistic tendencies you should design your panel and let a vendor cut it for the instruments with a machine. Having cut all the holes in the panel for my Glastar I know that it is not a small task. see the precut panel. and the panel powder coated and partially assembled.

[quote] ---

Description:
 Filesize:  825.05 KB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)

PC060054.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  842.13 KB
 Viewed:  593 Time(s)

PC060054.JPG

PC170053.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  842.38 KB
 Viewed:  594 Time(s)

PC170053.JPG

PC170054.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  893 KB
 Viewed:  604 Time(s)

PC170054.JPG

rv10last1.bmp
 Description:
 Filesize:  1012.55 KB
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)

rv10last1.bmp

deruiteraircraftservices(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Hi,

I Seem to recall that it says in the instructions that the ribs behind the panel should not be cut? This is also the same for the crossbar.

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

I check that with several avionics shops that service RVs and find that most are "trimmed" as necessary to make the radios fit. However that does not mean that the ribs are not reinforced to be stronger than original. You will note in the pictures I sent that good use was made of the odds and ends of the Z channels from other parts of the aircraft. The end result is a modified rib that is at least as strong as the original. The crossbar was not cut and the instrument panel was machine cut from an .090 2024t3 rather than the supplied .062 sheet. 
[quote] ---

deruiteraircraftservices(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

The trimmed rib in the middle of the photograph will not transfer the load along the same path as the original design. It may be striong as you put it, but that doesn't mean that it does what it is supposed to do.
Situations like these can, and sometimes do, compromise an aircraft. The middle forward top rib in particular is at a very inconvenient position, it's very tempting to cut it or modify otherwise, however, this also the rib that holds the reinforcing bar for the roof, which in turn acts as a simple roll bar. The load dissipation will not be the same if the rib is cut, hence the warning in the manual.

A seperate argument for not cutting this part of the aircraft is one for the purposes of insurance.If I were to survey this aircraft post impact and found the forward top fuselage had been compromised I would bring negative advise for settlement, in particular because theer's a warning in the manual.

Just some thoughts on what seems a simple mod, with potentially hazardous results when something goes pearshaped.

Marcel
[quote] ---

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Anyone think about replacing these ribs with a modified design out of something like 1/4 6061 or even SS?  Dave, maybe this is something your buddy can redesign for more room as a lot of people are running into this problem.  If I have the free time, and no one else has come up with something else, I may look closer at alternatives when I get to that point.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RAS
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 6:43 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Instrument Panel

The trimmed rib in the middle of the photograph will not transfer the load along the same path as the original design. It may be striong as you put it, but that doesn't mean that it does what it is supposed to do.
Situations like these can, and sometimes do, compromise an aircraft. The middle forward top rib in particular is at a very inconvenient position, it's very tempting to cut it or modify otherwise, however, this also the rib that holds the reinforcing bar for the roof, which in turn acts as a simple roll bar. The load dissipation will not be the same if the rib is cut, hence the warning in the manual.

A seperate argument for not cutting this part of the aircraft is one for the purposes of insurance.If I were to survey this aircraft post impact and found the forward top fuselage had been compromised I would bring negative advise for settlement, in particular because theer's a warning in the manual.

Just some thoughts on what seems a simple mod, with potentially hazardous results when something goes pearshaped.

Marcel
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: