Instrument Panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
speckter(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

I am about ready to do the instrument panel and have not yet finalized what instruments that I want.  I am interested in how much cutting  most builders did to allow enough room for their instruments.  I remember some pictures of Vic Syricuse's but can't find them.  Any imput from those who have gone before?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
sam.marlow(at)adelphia.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

This what I did, It's low profile, and plenty strong. I believe it's 90/1000 ths, AL.
[img]cid:part1.06080905.05020809(at)adelphia.net[/img]

Gary Specketer wrote:
Quote:
Message I am about ready to do the instrument panel and have not yet finalized what instruments that I want.  I am interested in how much cutting  most builders did to allow enough room for their instruments.  I remember some pictures of Vic Syricuse's but can't find them.  Any imput from those who have gone before?

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

rv10_sub_panel_cutout.JPG
 Filesize:  825.05 KB
 Viewed:  602 Time(s)

rv10_sub_panel_cutout.JPG

Back to top
dlm46007(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

You really need to know which avionics and where they are going. The depth of the sub panel is insufficient for most avionics. see the picture...After you select the radios you will need to cut some holes in the subpanel or allow some radios to protrude out from the instrument panel.

Secondly unless you have masochistic tendencies you should design your panel and let a vendor cut it for the instruments with a machine. Having cut all the holes in the panel for my Glastar I know that it is not a small task. see the precut panel. and the panel powder coated and partially assembled.

[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

rv10_sub_panel_cutout.JPG
 Filesize:  825.05 KB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)

rv10_sub_panel_cutout.JPG

PC060054.JPG
 Filesize:  842.13 KB
 Viewed:  593 Time(s)

PC060054.JPG

PC170053.JPG
 Filesize:  842.38 KB
 Viewed:  594 Time(s)

PC170053.JPG

PC170054.JPG
 Filesize:  893 KB
 Viewed:  604 Time(s)

PC170054.JPG

rv10last1.bmp
 Filesize:  1012.55 KB
 Viewed:  589 Time(s)

rv10last1.bmp

Back to top
deruiteraircraftservices(
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Hi,

I Seem to recall that it says in the instructions that the ribs behind the panel should not be cut? This is also the same for the crossbar.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
dlm46007(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

I check that with several avionics shops that service RVs and find that most are "trimmed" as necessary to make the radios fit. However that does not mean that the ribs are not reinforced to be stronger than original. You will note in the pictures I sent that good use was made of the odds and ends of the Z channels from other parts of the aircraft. The end result is a modified rib that is at least as strong as the original. The crossbar was not cut and the instrument panel was machine cut from an .090 2024t3 rather than the supplied .062 sheet.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
deruiteraircraftservices(
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

The trimmed rib in the middle of the photograph will not transfer the load along the same path as the original design. It may be striong as you put it, but that doesn't mean that it does what it is supposed to do.
Situations like these can, and sometimes do, compromise an aircraft. The middle forward top rib in particular is at a very inconvenient position, it's very tempting to cut it or modify otherwise, however, this also the rib that holds the reinforcing bar for the roof, which in turn acts as a simple roll bar. The load dissipation will not be the same if the rib is cut, hence the warning in the manual.

A seperate argument for not cutting this part of the aircraft is one for the purposes of insurance.If I were to survey this aircraft post impact and found the forward top fuselage had been compromised I would bring negative advise for settlement, in particular because theer's a warning in the manual.

Just some thoughts on what seems a simple mod, with potentially hazardous results when something goes pearshaped.

Marcel
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rvbuilder(at)sausen.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Instrument Panel Reply with quote

Anyone think about replacing these ribs with a modified design out of something like 1/4 6061 or even SS?  Dave, maybe this is something your buddy can redesign for more room as a lot of people are running into this problem.  If I have the free time, and no one else has come up with something else, I may look closer at alternatives when I get to that point.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
do not archive

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours