Lightning Performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
stay(at)caithness.com.au
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Lightning Performance Reply with quote

Gudday everyone,
Having just recently learnt of the Lightning's existence via
the RAAust magazine, I was curious about the difference in
the spec table on the website between the 2 versions. Based
on the lower stall speed, lower overall speeds, higher climb
rate and shorter take-off roll, the sport configuration must
have a wing with a higher lift profile? Which version is
being exported to countries like Australia to comply with
local rules?

Till reading Buz's commentary and all the other chat about
the Esqual I was enthralled with it's performance,
especially with the Airmaster constant speed prop. Thanks
to all your great detail I'm convinced the Lightning is for
me, so I'll have to visit Dennis Borchardt here in Oz and
continue to save my pennies towards a deposit. I haven't
noticed any discussion around adjustable props - any
experiences from anyone would be worth sharing. The
Airmaster website has a nice layman's explanation.

Thanks again to everyone for your chat - it's a great way to
learn for someone who's only able to put in a few hours
flying here and there.

Paul Smith, Angaston, South Australia.

Proud winners of the Barossa Wine and Tourism 2006 Award for
Service Excellence !

Irene Scott Smith & Paul Smith
Caithness Manor
12 Hill St West
Angaston South Australia 5353
Phone +618-8564 2761
Mobile 0421 330 614

Cancellation Policy: If you cancel within 14 days of your
arrival date, your deposit will not be refunded. We will
transfer or refund your deposit if you change or cancel
with more than 14 days notice.

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Back to top
dashvii(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Lightning Performance Reply with quote

Paul & Irene,
The big difference with the Light Sport model is that it has vortex
generators that are attached to the wing. There is a template so that the
VG's are attached at the right angles to get the desired results. They
proved their effectiveness. So far all LS models have needed this to get
the stall speed down in the clean configuration. The other difference is in
the prop. The prop on the light sport is set more to a climb pitch, while
the regular model is set to cruise. That is where a lot of your things like
a slower cruise, a higher rate of climb come from in the Light Sport
compliant version.

Nobody has put a constant speed prop on the plane yet. Most have had a
ground adjustable fixed pitch prop. They have worked well. The prop that
you mentioned has been brought up, but I believe that Pete said that he had
talked with the manufacturer and it was made for a slower cruise than the
Lightning is capable of and becomes inefficient at speed. Once I complete
my drag cleanup on the plane I fully believe that we'll get another 10mph
out of cruise, or, we'll get same cruise with X.X gph fuel savings. Based
on current and projected performance I believe that the ground adjustable
prop, once set for your specific mission will be the way to go. Even with
the cruise prop we're talking about really short takeoff and landing rolls.
A very low and stable stall on either. Just my .02. Brian W.
From: "stay(at)caithness.com.au" <stay(at)caithness.com.au>
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Lightning Performance
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:48:52 +1050

<stay(at)caithness.com.au>

[...]

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata 4102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Back to top
lightningaustralia(at)big
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Lightning Performance Reply with quote

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours

You cannot download files in this forum