Flying to the UK

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

Salut Gilles,
I have flown my Europa to the UK many times without problems. But CAP455 / AN52 is an all new CAA requirement dated September 2006 which replaces previous rules. It says that any one which does not comply is liable for prosecution.
Remi

Rmi Guerner a crit :
Quote:

Up to now, no exemption was necessary for homebuilts. This was based
on reciprocal agreements such as: the French authorities recognize PFA
aircraft and allow them to fly to France without prior permission,
then the UK authorities do the same with French homebuits. Same thing
between most European countries (Spain and Italy are still exceptions
to this reasonable rule, as far as I know).

Having to apply for an exemption before each visit to the UK will be
another burden (added to high landing fees and the typical British
weather!) and will contribute to dissuade most of us to fly to the UK.
What a pity!

Rmi,

You don't need to ask in the European Community.
Further, when you ask a permission that is not needed, you put the
"bureaucrat" in front of you in a position to say no. And then he'll ask
his boss, who won't know and ask his own boss, etc...

Many French MCRs regularly go to Britain without any problem.

Quote:
"Recommendation TNT. S11-1 of the European-Civil Aviation Conference
(ECAC),
> adopted at the eleventh Intermediate Session of ECAC in June 1980 states:
>
> That Member States accept home-built aircraft with a Certificate of
> Airworthiness or a Permit to Fly issued by another Member State, to fly in
> their country without any restrictions other than those stated in the
> Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.
>

> 2 All ECAC Member States agreed to the recommendation and, in October
> 1984, CAA implemented it on behalf of the United Kingdom by issuing an
> Exemption, in the terms set out in Issue 1 of this Airworthiness Notice,
> from compliance with the appropriate provisions of the Air Navigation Order
> relating to Certificates of Airworthiness."
Hope this helps,

Amicalement,
Gilles,

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

Rémi Guerner a écrit :
Quote:

Salut Gilles,

I have flown my Europa to the UK many times without problems. But
CAP455 / AN52 is an all new CAA requirement dated September 2006
which replaces previous rules. It says that any one which does not
comply is liable for prosecution.

Rémi,

I forgot that the UK is hardly in the European Community Wink))
Seriously now, where can we have a full copy of the text you referred to ?
Does it explicitly supersede the previous Exemption ?

Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

Hello Gilles,

The whole of CAP455 (1.5 MB) can be downloaded free from the UK CAA web site
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP455.PDF
Airworthiness Notice 52 explains that the previous block exemption for
foreign home-built aircraft has been superseded by splitting the requirement
into two: automatic clearance for a visit of up to 28 days may be obtained
by e-mailing the completed form set out in AN 52 to a special address;
visits of more than 28 days require special authorisation by the UK CAA.
The intention is apparently to avoid people operating "permit" aircraft in
the UK on a long-term basis without meeting the UK airworthiness standards.

You are always welcome here!

Mike
Europa Club Safety Officer

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

Mike Gregory a écrit :
Quote:

Hello Gilles,

The whole of CAP455 (1.5 MB) can be downloaded free from the UK CAA web site
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP455.PDF
Airworthiness Notice 52 explains that the previous block exemption for
foreign home-built aircraft has been superseded by splitting the requirement
into two
You are always welcome here!

Mike,

Thank you for the link and your welcome.
I was hoping to fly to the UK in the summer.

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

john(at)greenleas.freeser
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

According to my reading of AN52 it says that foreign registered homebuilts
must apply for permission to fly in the UK but Appendix 1 exempts EC
homebuilts from the need to do so providing they comply with a few
conditions as follows:-

(a) The aircraft shall not be flown over any assembly of persons or over any
congested area of a city, town or settlement.

(b) The aircraft shall not be flown for the purpose of public transport or
aerial work.

(c) The aircraft shall be flown only in accordance with daytime Visual
Flight Rules.

(d) The conditions, limitations and restrictions applicable under the Permit
to Fly or equivalent document issued by the State of Registry shall be
observed.

(e) The aircraft shall not remain in the United Kingdom pursuant to this
exemption for more than 28 days in any one calendar year.

(f) Prior to each visit to the UK, the aircraft owner shall provide to the
CAA the information specified in Schedule 1 to this exemption.

(g) The owner of the aircraft shall ensure that the documents specified in
Schedule 2 to this exemption are available for inspection by the CAA on
demand when the aircraft is in the UK.

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

Exactly so, John. For visits of up to 28 days, the information on an EC
registered homebuilt must be supplied in accordance with (f) to be exempt
from making an application to the CAA. This is what I loosely referred to
as "automatic clearance". It is just a matter of completing the AN 52 form
and e-mailing it to an52exemption(at)srg.caa.co.uk to receive an automatic
reply that is the authority for the visit. Alternatively, the completed
form could be sent to the UK CAA by post.

I accept that what is being done here is providing information to the CAA to
comply with the exemption conditions, rather than applying for permission to
fly in the UK, but it still means that the CAA requirement must be fulfilled
by taking action in advance for each and every visit. This is not quite the
same as having carte blanche to fly to the UK without prior notification.

Regards

Mike

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Flying to the UK Reply with quote

Mike Gregory a écrit :
Quote:
This is not quite the
same as having carte blanche to fly to the UK without prior notification.

You bet !
Some of my buddies report flying to many European countries without
anything but a flight plan.
I'm wondering if the French Aviation Civile also revoked the 1980
agreement ? Or is it only the UK ?

Regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr