Flying a foreign Europa to the UK

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Flying a foreign Europa to the UK Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just discovered the Flying to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />UK page on the Europa Club website and I am puzzled by this new requirement. The CAA foreign aircraft exemption page says :<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If your aircraft is homebuilt, you do not need to apply to us for an Exemption. Please see [url=http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id 40]Airworthiness Notice 52[/url] for more information.

Then the [url=http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id 40]Airworthiness Notice 52[/url] requires that prior to each visit to the UK, the aircraft owner shall apply for an exemption.

Which one is right ?

Up to now, no exemption was necessary for homebuilts. This was based on reciprocal agreements such as: the French authorities recognize PFA aircraft and allow them to fly to France without prior permission, then the UK authorities do the same with French homebuits. Same thing between most European countries (Spain and Italy are still exceptions to this reasonable rule, as far as I know).

Having to apply for an exemption before each visit to the UK will be another burden (added to high landing fees and the typical British weather!) and will contribute to dissuade most of us to fly to the UK. What a pity!

Could anyone help to clarify the above requirement ?

Regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel, 912S, Airmaster, 435 hours

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Flying a foreign Europa to the UK Reply with quote

Rémi Guerner a écrit :
Quote:

Up to now, no exemption was necessary for homebuilts. This was based
on reciprocal agreements such as: the French authorities recognize PFA
aircraft and allow them to fly to France without prior permission,
then the UK authorities do the same with French homebuits. Same thing
between most European countries (Spain and Italy are still exceptions
to this reasonable rule, as far as I know).

Having to apply for an exemption before each visit to the UK will be
another burden (added to high landing fees and the typical British
weather!) and will contribute to dissuade most of us to fly to the UK.
What a pity!

Rémi,

You don't need to ask in the European Community.
Further, when you ask a permission that is not needed, you put the
"bureaucrat" in front of you in a position to say no. And then he'll ask
his boss, who won't know and ask his own boss, etc...

Many French MCRs regularly go to Britain without any problem.

Quote:
"Recommendation TNT. S11-1 of the European-Civil Aviation Conference
(ECAC),
> adopted at the eleventh Intermediate Session of ECAC in June 1980 states:
>
> ‘That Member States accept home-built aircraft with a Certificate of
> Airworthiness or a ‘Permit to Fly’ issued by another Member State, to fly in
> their country without any restrictions other than those stated in the
> Certificate of Airworthiness or ‘Permit to Fly’.’
>

> 2 All ECAC Member States agreed to the recommendation and, in October
> 1984, CAA implemented it on behalf of the United Kingdom by issuing an
> Exemption, in the terms set out in Issue 1 of this Airworthiness Notice,
> from compliance with the appropriate provisions of the Air Navigation Order
> relating to Certificates of Airworthiness."
Hope this helps,

Amicalement,
Gilles,
http://contrails.free.fr