Engines-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 02/11/07

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List
mcculleyja(at)starpower.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Engines-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 02/11/07 Reply with quote

Dan,

One easy check you can make is to remove the rocker box covers and make
a comparison check of each valve rocker arm amount of travel(in other
words, the valve stem total travel)as the engine is turned by hand
through at least two full engine revolutions in firing order. If one or
more cam lobes are seriously worn more than others, the associated valve
will not open as fully as it should, compared to those with less or no wear.

Jim

Engines-List Digest Server wrote:

Quote:
I am trying to find the cause of rough running in a Lyc O360A4M that has
good compression, good mags, good timing. It has about 1400 smoh over
about 12 years. There were times during those years in which it sat for
over a year at a time. Also, for most of that time, the oil cooler
hoses were connected wrong so the oil ran quite hot.

How can I prove that there is or isn't excessive cam lobe wear without
tearing it all down??

Thanks,

Dan

Gary Casey wrote:

> Often the first sign of cam wear is a rough
>engine and inspection will show that the cam lobe is gone. For some
>time the engine tolerated that much iron and didn't fail.
>Gary Casey

- The Matronics Engines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Engines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Engines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours