Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG?

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

I would like to replace my ailing DG with an in-dash flux gate compass.
My compass is so tiny and hard to read I never look at it other than to
set the DG. I don't see any point of having a DG if it could be replaced
by a large readable in-dash compass. The only flux gate compasses I
can find are those made for boating. Here is one possibility:
http://www.nasamarine.com/Instruments/clippercompass.html
It even has a handy steer to course function. This unit is 110 mm sq
so is a little large but sure looks easy to read!

Glenn

pete(at)lawless.info
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Hi Glenn

A pal of mine has just fitted a Dynon EFIS in his RV, this includes a
fluxgate compass and electronic AH, amongst a host of other features. It
saved 8 pounds getting rid of the vacuum instruments. Its early days but so
far both pilots who fly the aeroplane love the display. I had a look at it
yesterday and it is certainly very easy to read.

Regards

Pete

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Hi Pete - Thanks for the steer. I am aware of the Dynon for sure and will
be doing
something like that before too long. I was just looking for something kind
of inexpensive
for now. Also, my hangar is not too secure. Does the Dynon have a quick
removal
feature so one could take it home after flying?

Glenn
[quote]From: "Pete Lawless" <pete(at)lawless.info>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a
DG?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:44:08 -0000

Hi Glenn

A pal of mine has just fitted a Dynon EFIS in his RV, this includes a
fluxgate compass and electronic AH, amongst a host of other features. It
saved 8 pounds getting rid of the vacuum instruments. Its early days but
so
far both pilots who fly the aeroplane love the display. I had a look at it
yesterday and it is certainly very easy to read.

Regards

Pete

DuaneFamly(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Glenn,

I am also installing the Dynon in my XS and yes, you can remove it quickly by means of an Allen wrench through the lower left portion of the faceplate. But you must not us the extra screw fitting that they provide in the lower right portion that accesses only from the rear of the unit to lock the display in place.

Mike Duane A207A
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300
Sensenich R64Z N
Ground Adjustable Prop

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Hi Duane - Thats encouraging - you must have a quick disconnect plug behind
it then. Did that come with the unit?

Glenn

Quote:
From: DuaneFamly(at)aol.com
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
DG?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:25:13 EST

Glenn,

I am also installing the Dynon in my XS and yes, you can remove it quickly
by
means of an Allen wrench through the lower left portion of the faceplate.
But
you must not us the extra screw fitting that they provide in the lower
right
portion that accesses only from the rear of the unit to lock the display in
place.
Mike Duane A207A
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300
Sensenich R64Z N
Ground Adjustable Prop

From predictions to trailers, check out the MSN Entertainment Guide to the
Academy Awards®

http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline1

pete(at)lawless.info
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Glenn

Not as far as I could see, it looked like a panel mount job bolted in. I
will ask and let you know.

Pete

DuaneFamly(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Glenn,

The unit comes with a mounting shell that you attach to the panel. It has plugs mounted in the rear and the unit simply slides in and you just use the allen wrench to snug it down.

Would you like some pix?

Mike

pete(at)lawless.info
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

Glenn

A reply from the Dynon user.

"You just undo a jackscrew at the bottom LH corner, which pushes it out an
inch or so, and pull it the rest of the way out of its rack. You then unplug
the D-sub and then the tricky bit: it has a pitot and static connection to
it (we are not using the AoA facility so just the two). In our case you
could pull the neoprene hoses off but I guess that if you wanted to do
frequent removal / replacement it would be best to make some sort of
(reliable) screwed connections, perhaps using AN fittings."

Pete

ami(at)mcfadyean.freeserv
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Anybody using a flux gate compass instead of a DG? Reply with quote

I have a marine digital compass in addition to the normal standby compass.
It is well damped and sure that it thinks it is accurate. But it isn't.
The self compensating feature doesn't seem to do much either.

It would probably benefit greatly from a remote sensor.

Duncan McF.