eyebrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
michael(at)flightsked.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

Just recently finished the annual on my Tiger, and one of the scheduled items we accomplished at the same time was installing the AuCountry eyebrow I bought (at a really good price) at the AYA scholarship auction. The bottom line is that it is *so much better* than the old plastic that it replaces.

A few observations that you might find interesting…

<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>The new eyebrow sits at a slightly higher angle than the old one, which means that you have a little better visibility of the upper portion of the panel. For me, it’s angled pretty much perfectly, meaning that I only see the edge of the eyebrow when I glance down at the panel.
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>The new brow seems to be at least as effective at blocking panel light from reflecting off the windscreen as the old one was. I’ve flown it through the first hour or so of darkness over San Diego, so it’s not quite as telling a test as flying in the middle of the night over the desert, but as I say, it seems to be fine.
<![if !supportLists]>- <![endif]>It looks a lot better than the old one. The lines are much cleaner, and the way that it curves down and back to the panel is more elegant than the way the old eyebrow tried to meet up with those two black plastic pieces on the cabin side. It’s covered with a good quality, matte-black, textured faux leather, and being a single piece of fiberglass (as opposed to the original’s two pieces of plastic screwed together) I think it will hold up better over time.

Lighting – deserves its own section.

When I read Gary’s description of how long it would take to install the new eyebrow, I figured I must be missing something. I was, and it’s the amount of work involved in mounting light fixtures to the underside of the eyebrow, wiring them in, and tapping in to the panel light circuit. The static line also needs to be relocated.

I suppose you could hack something together in less time, but what we did relocated the switch to eliminate the plastic side panel, spliced into the power supplied to the lighting bus off the dimmer, and laid everything out with the proper connectors and service loops in the wiring so you can conveniently remove and replace the eyebrow if/when you need to. A lot of this is done upside down and backwards, with your head gently cradled by the rudder pedals, so yeah, it takes some time.

The new eyebrow is capable of casting a lot more light on the panel than the old one, so Gary recommends placing it on a separate dimmer. I would agree – it overpowers the NuLites I have installed.

So, overall I’m very happy with the new eyebrow and if you’re thinking of cleaning up your panel, renewing your interior, etc it’s definitely worth doing. There’s more info available at http://www.aucountry.com/index_TG.html

Thanks to Gary and AuCountry for supporting the AYA by donating the eyebrow for auction, and thanks (for nothing) to Matt D who bid up the price just because he couldn’t bear seeing me get off too cheap Wink

YMMV, no vested interest, just a satisfied customer.

Michael

Michael W. Meyer

Tiger N74086
Montgomery Field (KMYF)
San Diego, CA

[quote][b]

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
mattd(at)drahz.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

Michael W. Meyer wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
J[url=http://www.aucountry.com/index_TG.html][/url]

Thanks to Gary and AuCountry for supporting the AYA by donating the eyebrow for auction, and thanks (for nothing) to Matt D who bid up the price just because he couldn’t bear seeing me get off too cheap Wink

but Michael - It was for the Children....Don't you care about the Children?

(it is my new technique to excuse anything - my former technique was to immediately (and prematurely) invoke the Godwin principle by saying something like:
Yeah, well the first thing that the Germans did was confiscate everybody's guns fairly priced airplane eyebrows....)

mattd

p.s. Is it Friday yet?

[quote][b]

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
aa1bflyboy(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

What auction I must have missed that one. I'd have bid too. But then that
would have made Draz bid even more...

If I'm right I have no need to be angry;
If I'm wrong I have no right to be...
Steve Roberts - AA-1B N9664L (at) ILG

[...]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

Ah OK that auction... Had to be there I guess... or read all of the original
email... Guess I gotta break down and buy me one of them sometime. 1st will
be the O320 though.

[...]

GrummanDude

Location: Auburn, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

I installed one of my eyebrows in Bill Kelly's AA1C. It needs to be
trimmed to fit the location of the static line. Unlike the 4 place
Grumman, the static line isn't so easy to move in a 2 place Grumman.

Gary
PS, I think Mike was a bit amazed that it took all day to install the
eybrow. Lots of tedious this-n-that. I took a lot of pics and I'll be
adding them to my web site. I didn't . . . . . however, get a picture
of the final installation.

PPS, we also installed some drilled yokes (yolks, if you went to school
in California) in Mike's Plane. Got rid of a lot of wiring. Next, the
ADF is coming out. Then the back seat . . . .

--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

_________________
Gary
AuCountry Aviation
Home of Team Grumman
btemplin(at)templinelectr
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

So Gary, what are you getting for these eyebrows?? It does look pretty
cool. Maybe I need another winter project. Smile

Brad
--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Back to top
GrummanDude

Location: Auburn, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: eyebrow Reply with quote

They run $300 without lights and $475 with lights and wiriing set up to
plug and play. By-the-way, it still takes 4 to 6 hours to install WITH
a pre-wired eyebrow.

--

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List

Gary
AuCountry Aviation
Home of Team Grumman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours