Appears to be a great adhesive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

Just thought I would share this with you all. I have used three metal epoxy
adhesives so far and the one I am most impressed with is a product called
"Achor-Tite". This product is trademarked under this name and is made in
California.

The product claims to have holding strength of 2500psi tensil strength and
as impressive as that is, what I think is even better is that it has an
ability to have 30% elongation before deformation. It claims impact
resistence, meaning it is not brittle. It has a set time of 3-4 hours, but
parts need to be in contact within one hour. 100% cure in one week. It is
not moisture sensitve once set, can be used for marine applications. I bonds
several different mediums.

In actual use what I found most interesting is that I cut a small piece of
aluminum house flashing to mix this stuff and the left over cured adhesive
will not come off the (smooth/polished) aluminum flashing. Even if I bend
this thin flashing over and over, the epoxy will not seperate. That is
impressive. I had used this stuff to glue in my horizontal stab nose ribs a
week before I riveted them in. I was not aware of this flashing result until
I used it again that I played with the excess on the flashing.

Perhaps a drilled out rivet left a slightly enlarged hole. Use of this
product in addition to a backing plate might give one a little better piece
of mind when you re-rivet it.

P.S. I am not advocating patching up your mistakes and being comfortable.
You are your own engineer and judge.

John G. #409
elevator trim tabs completed, difficult access for the rivets at the control
horn.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Jerry Grimmonpre'

Location: Huntley, Illinois 60142

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

When Achor-Tite is googled it leads me to Plastic Grip Tite. Is this the
same stuff? Where can Achor-Tite be purchased? Is Achor-Tite the correct
spelling? What is missing?
Thanks ...
Jerry Grimmonpre'
RV8A
DO NOT ARCHIVE

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tdawson(at)avidyne.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

There's an 'n' missing.

Try: http://anchortite.supergluecorp.com/epoxy.html

They have a version called "Automotive/RV" so that must be for us!

TDT

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

I read it right from the syringe. I purchased mine from a hardware store in
California called the "Do It Center." The spelling is correct. Let me know
if you can't find it inside the site you looked at and I'll do more research
when I get home. The outer paper I threw away, but I'll make it happen even
if I have to go get more. Sorry for the inconvenience.

JG
[quote]From: "Jerry Grimmonpre" <jerry(at)mc.net>
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: Appears to be a great adhesive.
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:56:40 -0600

When Achor-Tite is googled it leads me to Plastic Grip Tite. Is this the
same stuff? Where can Achor-Tite be purchased? Is Achor-Tite the correct
spelling? What is missing?
Thanks ...
Jerry Grimmonpre'
RV8A
DO NOT ARCHIVE

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

Thank you. '''''''n""""" I better watch out for those rivets I leave out.
This actually brings up a point about proof reading your emails before
hitting the send button.
Some times it takes a while to figure out what someone is trying to be say.

It was the Automotive/RV type, but it also said submergible and marine
applications Okay.

It is good stuff.

John

[quote]From: "Tim Dawson-Townsend" <Tdawson(at)avidyne.com>
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:07:59 -0500

<Tdawson(at)Avidyne.com>
There's an 'n' missing.

Try: http://anchortite.supergluecorp.com/epoxy.html

They have a version called "Automotive/RV" so that must be for us!

TDT

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Jerry Grimmonpre'

Location: Huntley, Illinois 60142

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

It's really no inconvenience here ... I'm happy it's found, I added an "n"
and that lead me into the site. I've used a similar two part squeeze and
found the stuff easy to do the job. I will watch for it at the hardware
store. Thanks, Jerry
DO NOT ARCHIVE

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jhasbrouck(at)woh.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

John,
What's its long term effect on aluminum? Will it cause corrosion?

John Hasbrouck
#40264

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
coop85(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

Any thoughts on using this stuff to attach the rudder cable fairings to the
fuselage? Seems like it might be a good fit if permanent enough.

Marcus

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

UNknown, as I have only just started using. Aluminum however is one of the
metals listed for its use. I see no reason why it should promote corrosion
as it seals the metal off from the environment just like a thick, strong
epoxy primer.

John G.
Quote:
From: "John Hasbrouck" <jhasbrouck(at)woh.rr.com>
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:34:49 -0500

John,
What's its long term effect on aluminum? Will it cause corrosion?

John Hasbrouck
#40264

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

The problem may become getting the fairing off if you ever needed to. You
will certainly damage the fuselage skin. I think it would hold it that well.

John
[quote]From: "Marcus Cooper" <coop85(at)bellsouth.net>
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:01:28 -0500

Any thoughts on using this stuff to attach the rudder cable fairings to the
fuselage? Seems like it might be a good fit if permanent enough.

Marcus

--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
3edcft6(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Appears to be a great adhesive. Reply with quote

John Gonzalez wrote:

Quote:
The problem may become getting the fairing off if you ever needed to.
You will certainly damage the fuselage skin. I think it would hold it
that well.

Heat will probably take it off. Most glues break down with enough

heat. You may even have to get it hot enough to ruin the paint, but if
you have to take it off you probably will need to repaint it anyway.
--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours