Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
n616tb(at)btsapps.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

Listers,

I would like to learn to perform basic aileron rolls in my RV-6. I suspect
it isn't such a good idea to just go up and start trying it out. I am not
interested in doing any higher G maneuvers and only want to do this for my
own entertainment. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to learn to do
them without getting hurt?
Thanks a bunch
Off list is fine
Tim

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
khorton01(at)rogers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

On 14 Jan 2007, at 14:45, Tim Bryan wrote:

Quote:

Listers,

I would like to learn to perform basic aileron rolls in my RV-6. I
suspect
it isn't such a good idea to just go up and start trying it out. I
am not
interested in doing any higher G maneuvers and only want to do this
for my
own entertainment. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to learn
to do
them without getting hurt?
Thanks a bunch
Off list is fine

Basic aerobatics are not a good subject to learn via the internet.
There is too much risk of a misunderstand leading to an accident.

Find a local aerobatics instructor to go flying with you.

It is easy to say that you only want to do rolls, and not any higher
g vertical type manoeuvres, and that a one-g aileron roll is such a
simple manoeuvre that it could be learned from an e-mail message.
But, some folks have an inate desire to pull once they are upside
down and lose sight of the sky. This could be fatal. Doing your
first aerobatic manoeuvres with an instructor is cheap insurance.

Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
tedd(at)vansairforce.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Tim Bryan wrote:

Quote:
Does anybody have a suggestion on how to learn to do them without getting
hurt?

Tim:

I'll begin by telling you what many other people will probably tell you: don't
do it without competant aerobatic instruction. For me, that doesn't mean you
have to hire an instructor or take an aerobatic course. There are plenty of
non-instructors around with the right kind of experience who'd probably be
willing to teach you how to do an aileron roll, just for the fun of it. But
choose someone you have reason to believe truly does know what they're doing.

If you do decide to self-teach, I recommend beginning with lazy eights. This
is the method I use to begin doing aerobatics in an airplane that's new to me.

Fly a coordinated lazy eight, beginning with fairly shallow pitch and bank
angles and working your way up to more aggressive manoeuvres. Always have
target speeds for the top and bottom of the lazy eight. Speed discipline is
the thing most likely to keep you out of trouble, since "trouble" is most
likely to be a stall or spin (at the top) and an over-stress or over-speed at
the bottom. To find your target speeds, set slow cruise (55 or 65 percent
power, for example) and target 20 mph below that speed for the top of the lazy
eight and 20 mph above that speed for the bottom.

Gradually expand the speed range as you get more aggressive. For an RV your
maximum speed range should probably be 100 mph at the top and 180 mph at the
bottom. That gives you decent margins from Vne and 1-G stall. Focus on two
things: smoothness and hitting the target speeds. Be disciplined. If your
target is 120 mph at the top of the lazy eight don't accept either 119 mph or
121 mph. If you blow through either speed by more than 5 mph, knock off the
manoeuvre, return to level flight, and analyze why it happened. If you can't
be sure why it happened, give up and find someone to teach you. You have to be
sure you understand what's happening all the time.

You really should have a G meter for this, and you should be able to smoothly
fly lazy eights in the 100-180 mph speed range, at bank angles up to 90
degrees, without exceeding 2 G. (At no point should you hit 0 G, and there's
really no reason to go below 1G.) Try to reach the point where you're flying
the manoeuvre at a fixed stick pitch position, varying only the roll, but still
hitting your numbers exactly. Then work on increasing the roll rate (which may
require you to compress the speed range), until you are hitting full aileron
deflection at times.

Once you've reached that point you have enough control feel and judgement to
attempt any rolling aerobatic manoeuvre (non-stalled). It will be obvious to
you how to do an aileron roll. If it's not, give up and find someone to teach
you.

Tedd McHenry
Surrey, BC, Canada

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
panamared5(at)brier.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

Quote:

I would like to learn to perform basic aileron rolls in my RV-6. .....
Does anybody have a suggestion on how to learn to do
them without getting hurt?

With an instructor. I know this has been said before, that is because it is
important. You said you wanted to learn without getting hurt, that means
using an instructor.

Now, if all you want to do is kill yourself, no need of an instructor.

A lot of really bad things can happen in aerobatics real fast. The key is
to recognize the beginning of a bad maneuver and have a way out before it
becomes a really bad maneuver. A beginner may not recognize the signs of a
bad maneuver, therefore get help.

In an RV, learning speed control is critical. Much more so that many
purpose built aerobatic aircraft. Cruise speed is too close to Vne, by that
I mean at normal cruise a Split S (or any other maneuver where the nose is
pointed straight down or maybe 45 degrees down) will put you in excess of
Vne and the designed G limits. Exceeding one is bad, but exceeding both is
really bad!

Now for the good part, once you learn how to fly the aerobatic maneuvers,
they are so much fun in an RV, 90% of all my RV flying is aerobatics.

Bob

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Jeff Linebaugh

Location: Collierville, TN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

Don’t perform aerobatics without proper instruction. Know your limits and never exceed them…that applies to anything in an airplane, especially aerobatics.
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Example: Locally, a T-6 owner recently nearly pulled the wings off his T-6 when he attempted an aileron roll without knowing what he was doing. Half way through the roll he got disoriented, and pulled through a rolling split S. Besides going well over redline, he applied rolling g’s to the wing. So bad was it, that my wife easily noticed all the wrinkles in the top surface of the wing. The wings were replaced…$$
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Considering what you have in your airplane time/money wise, and considering any family/friends you may have, you owe it to both to do it right…go get some dual from a qualified instructor. I think you will find that it was the best money you spent, and the most fun you have had in an airplane!
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Jeff Linebaugh
jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net
F1 Rocket #33 N240KT
Memphis, TN.
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
Jeff Linebaugh
jefflinebaugh@earthlink.net
Collierville, TN
wdleonard(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

There has been a lot of great comments so far. The one thing I have not seen mentioned is getting a book on basic aerobatic flying. There are several available. Having spent the time with the book, you will understand the mechanics of each maneuver and the potential pitfalls.  This will then make your time with your instructor (aka, most RV pilots) much more effective and efficient.

Dont forget to memorize the entry speeds published by Vans.

David Leonard

Turbo Rotary RV-6 N4VY
My websites at:
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/rotaryroster/index.html
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/vp4skydoc/index.html
http://leonardiniraq.blogspot.com

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
rocketbob(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

Tim, a good book to read is "Better Aerobatics" by Alan Cassidy. I have read/thumbed through a few aerobatic books, and by far this one is the best. A couple of years ago I went up in my -6 with Greg Koontz, and learned a lot of good stuff from him, which just reiterated some things I read from the book. Up until that point I went up with a few experienced guys who showed me the ropes. But for the most part you will have to teach yourself and practice with plenty of altitude after you get someone competent to show you how, and I emphasize "competent" (someone who either does airshows or competitive acro). You'll be better, safer and have more confidence if you are properly taught.

Regards,
Bob Japundza
RV-6 flying F1 under const.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Terry Watson

Location: Seattle, WA USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

At the risk of being politically incorrect and accused of advocating dangerous antisocial behavior, I do know of one guy who taught himself aerobatics. It was awhile back, of course, and his name was Bob Hoover.

Disclaimer: My guess is that if he were starting over today, he would read the books and take the lessons.

Terry

[...]

0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
dan(at)rvproject.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

LOL. Tell ya what...if Bob Hoover is the model to follow, before you go out and try going upside down without training, make sure you can at least pour a cup of tea while doing plain old coordinated turns! Wink

DO NOT ARCHIVE (and get some training)

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
www.rvproject.com / www.weathermeister.com
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
michele.delsol(at)microsi
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

I feel that I must add my 2 cents as one very important issue has not been raised. All responses have said that before you try any aerobatics you should train with a competent instructor. That’s IOTTMCO (intuitively obvious to the most casual observer). I did exactly that – a total of 30 hours training on CAP 10 with two instructors. The first one trained me in all the basic manoeuvres (rolls, snap rolls, loops, hammerheads, chandelles…), the second one started out with spins, all sorts of spins, and how to get out of them. This was a real eye opener. I definitely believe that one should be trained in recognizing and getting out of unusual situations as you never know what position the plane will be in if you mess up a manoeuvre. An example, you try a loop and for some reason, you enter it with insufficient speed. Just as you get to the top, the plane stalls upside down. Question: what do you do? If you have not practice spins in general, not just simply the two turn spin, you might be in deep trouble.

This being said, I feel that the first instructor, with whom I started aerobatic training, was negligent in not starting me on the flight envelope and spins.

Furthermore, it’s fun. I for one enjoyed every minute of the Cap 10 training and will go for more training as soon as circumstances allow.

Michele
RV8 Finishing

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

Quote:
At the risk of being politically incorrect and accused of advocating
dangerous antisocial behavior, I do know of one guy who taught himself
aerobatics. It was awhile back, of course, and his name was Bob Hoover.

Disclaimer: My guess is that if he were starting over today, he would
read the books and take the lessons.

I thought he was an Army Air Corps Pilot, trained by the Army. I know he
was trained in dog fighting, is that not the same as aerobatics? If he
went through the same WW II Army Flight Training (Aviation Cadets) as my
Uncle then he got aerobatic instruction from the Army.

Yes, there are a lot of people who are self taught in aerobatics. Some of
them, but not all, are dead! Some aerobatic pilots who are trained in
aerobatics are also dead due to aerobatics. Aerobatic training will not
insure success, it just puts more of the odds in your favor.
Bob

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
denis.walsh(at)comcast.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

Offered in the interest of fact finding:
Bob Hoover learned to fly at Nashville's Berry Field while working at
a local grocery store to pay for the flight training. He enlisted in
the Tennessee National Guard and was sent for pilot training with the
Army. He was sent to Casablanca where his first major assignment of
the war was test flying the assembled aircraft ready for service. He
was later assigned to the Spitfire-equipped 52nd Fighter group in
Sicily. After 58 successful missions, on the 59th his malfunctioning
Mark V Spitfire was shot down by a Focke-Wulf 190 off the coast of
Southern France in 1944 and was taken prisoner. He spent 16 months at
the German prison camp Stalag Luft 1 in Barth, Germany
Denis Walsh

On Jan 16, 2007, at 07:14 296990001, Bob wrote:

Quote:

> At the risk of being politically incorrect and accused of
> advocating dangerous antisocial behavior, I do know of one guy who
> taught himself aerobatics. It was awhile back, of course, and his
> name was Bob Hoover.
>
> Disclaimer: My guess is that if he were starting over today, he
> would read the books and take the lessons.
I thought he was an Army Air Corps Pilot, trained by the Army. I
know he was trained in dog fighting, is that not the same as
aerobatics? If he went through the same WW II Army Flight Training
(Aviation Cadets) as my Uncle then he got aerobatic instruction
from the Army.

Yes, there are a lot of people who are self taught in aerobatics.
Some of them, but not all, are dead! Some aerobatic pilots who are
trained in aerobatics are also dead due to aerobatics. Aerobatic
training will not insure success, it just puts more of the odds in
your favor.
Bob

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
khorton01(at)rogers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:14:59 -0600
Bob <panamared5(at)brier.net> wrote:

Quote:

>At the risk of being politically incorrect and accused of advocating
>dangerous antisocial behavior, I do know of one guy who taught himself
>aerobatics. It was awhile back, of course, and his name was Bob Hoover.
>
>Disclaimer: My guess is that if he were starting over today, he would
>read the books and take the lessons.

I thought he was an Army Air Corps Pilot, trained by the Army. I know he
was trained in dog fighting, is that not the same as aerobatics? If he
went through the same WW II Army Flight Training (Aviation Cadets) as my
Uncle then he got aerobatic instruction from the Army.

I've got Bob Hoover's autobiography. It explains that he learned to fly as a civilian before the war, and that he did teach himself basic aerobatics. It also describes him hitting a tree when doing a low level "buzz job" to impress some friends. He is lucky to have survived the indiscretions of his youth.

Bob Hoover was a great pilot. But, just because he taught himself aerobatics back in the 1930s is not a good argument for doing the same today. Things were different back then, and the accident rate was much higher. I'm currently reading Robert Buck's autobiography. He successfully taught himself to fly IFR before getting hired by TWA in 1937. This is not recommended today either.

Kevin Horton
do not archive

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Mark Phillips in TN

Location: Columbia, TN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Learning Basic Aileron rolls in an RV Reply with quote

In a message dated 01/16/2007 10:46:55 AM Central Standard Time, khorton01(at)rogers.com writes:
Quote:
I'm currently reading Robert Buck's autobiography.

Yo, Kevin- put down that book, get out in da shop and finish that dang airplane!

Cool

From The PossumWorks in TN
Mark & do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

From The PossumWorks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours