ABEA and TSO's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
bakerocb

Location: FAIRFAX VA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: ABEA and TSO's Reply with quote

1/8/2007

Hello Old Bob, You wrote: "I am definitely stepping out from my area of
expertise here, but is a TSO required for operations of a home built
aircraft?"

I believe that a narrow legalistic response to your question is "No, because
there are no published certification standards that ABEA's (Amateur Built
Experimental Aircraft) are required to meet."

But in a real world practical sense there are some operations that ABEA's
participate in that require them to interface with other aircraft or
facilities and those operations require compatibility with published
standards established for those other entities.

Compatibility could conceivably be achieved by individually creating
equipment equivalent to a published standard, but the practicality of such
creation is, in most cases, very remote.**

In the postings copied below the operation at issue is GPS requirements for
IFR operations. Here is just one extract (others may be found) from chapter
1-1-19 in the current edition of the AIM:

"g. Equipment and Database Requirements
1. Authorization to fly approaches under IFR using GPS avionics systems
requires that:
(a) A pilot use GPS avionics with TSO- C129, or equivalent, authorization in
class A1, B1, B3, C1, or C3; and"

I understand that the AIM is not regulatory in nature, but I believe that an
ABEA pilot having flown a GPS approach under IFR, and being called to
account by the FAA or the NTSB for some sort of deviation or improper
performance on his part would have a very difficult time convincing the
authorities that his non TSO'd GPS equipment should be entirely acceptable
to them.

So the prudent ABEA builder / pilot does his homework and equips his
aircraft so that it will perform in a manner that will not endanger him or
others. If TSO'd equipment is the best way to accomplish that goal then his
choice should be clear to him.

OC -- The best investment we will ever make is in gathering knowledge.

**PS: One notable exception is in the arena of external lighting where some
innovative LED equipment may, in fact, be superior to the TSO requirements.
But proving that superiority and getting an initial airworthiness inspector
of an ABEA to accept the equipment (if he chooses to make it an issue) may
be a problem.

From: Ernest Christley <echristley(at)nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: ABEA and TSO's

bakerocb(at)cox.net wrote:

Quote:
I understand that the AIM is not regulatory in nature, but I believe
that an ABEA pilot having flown a GPS approach under IFR, and being
called to account by the FAA or the NTSB for some sort of deviation or
improper performance on his part would have a very difficult time
convincing the authorities that his non TSO'd GPS equipment should be
entirely acceptable to them.

Could you please stand back while I prepare to insert my foot in my
mouth, but...

That, to me, is a convoluted way of thinking. "There's no law against
it, but we don't like what you did." Is that any way to run a
country!? The AIM is not regulatory in nature. OK, then when
consideration of fines begin, it is immaterial. That just quacks to
much like "ex post facto" law to not be "ex post facto" law. If the
non-TSOed unit operated as advertised for several years, but then went
flaky enough to cause and incident, it would be no different than a
TSOed unit going tits-up. How an inspector 'feels' about it is smoke in
the wind.

Quote:
So the prudent ABEA builder / pilot does his homework and equips his
aircraft so that it will perform in a manner that will not endanger
him or others. If TSO'd equipment is the best way to accomplish that
goal then his choice should be clear to him.

If non-TSOed equipment performs just as well at half the price, only
lacking the reams of paperwork required for the bureaucratic blessing,
why wouldn't the choice be equally clear? The builder has done the
pre-requisite homework, after all?

Ernest Christley

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
N1deltawhiskey(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: ABEA and TSO's Reply with quote

My 2 cents ( well maybe less) in support of Bob's arguments.

Liability culpability is generally based on the principle that a person may
be held liable if he/she does not do what a reasonable and PRUDENT person
would do in similar circumstances.

Ernest, based on your arguments, you are a reasonable person. Bob's
arguments are directed toward the PRUDENT part of the equation. If one
follows your position, you could, and would likely (with a respectable
offensive attorney), be found to be imprudent is you did not do the best
that you could to prevent/mitigate the incident for which you are being
tried. The result is that you would be guilty regardless of your "reason".

FWIW,

Doug Windhorn

---

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours