Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent Help with Customs Officials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan(at)kestrel-insurance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Urgent Help with Customs Officials Reply with quote

Hi Guys, still trying to get our europa through customs at Jacksonville. I am trying to finish filling in the EPA form. I have put in the obvious stuff like date of build and serial number but I have to choose a box to check under certified and non certified engines. Well I think un certified is the way to go but it is a sheer guess since I do not have any paperwork from Rotax saying it is certified. So, if I go for uncertified is it “other non road compression- ignition engines. See 40CFR part 89 or parts 1039 and 1068” ?? This is a Rotax 914 engine. It started life in our Europa and has always been there.. I just do not know what to list it as on the EPA form 3520-21.
I would really appreciate any help forthcoming.
Thanks
Alan

--
21/12/2006 18:45
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
acrojim(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Urgent Help with Customs Officials Reply with quote

Alan

It should be a 914UL (non certified) as all the engines supplied by Europa were for experimential aircraft. The certified engines were installed in certified airplanes, the Katana is one example.

I would say its "other non road compression-ignition engine" but thats just an assumption on my part. I do not know what customs want or need.

One other thing, here in the states, when a certified engine, such as a Lycoming IO360 is installed in a experimential airplane then the engine is considered "Experimential" and no longer a certified engine. by the FAA.

Jim Brown
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rowil(at)clara.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Urgent Help with Customs Officials Reply with quote

At 2006-12-28 03:11 +0000 Alan Burrows wrote:

Quote:
if I go for uncertified is it "other non road compression- ignition
engines. See 40CFR part 89 or parts 1039 and 1068"

Alan - compression-ignition is another way of saying diesel, so that
does not fit with a Rotax, which is spark-ignition. Aren't there any
other choices?

regards

Rowland
--
| Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/
| <rowil(at)clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...

alan(at)kestrel-insurance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Urgent Help with Customs Officials Reply with quote

There are lots of choices, other ones that are not marine or atv related
include "non-road spark ignition engine above 19kW( or above 30kWif
displacement is at or below 1000cc) see 40CFR parts 1048 and 1068." I think
that is closest.
Other choices are including national security...manufacturer
owned...replacement engine,...extraordinary hardship...identical
configuration,...ancient engine ( I think this one will be by the time we
get it through customs!) Then there are temporary exemptions which I have
ignored and engines excluded from US EPA standards.

Today I think I will call EAA or AOPA ( lockwood aviation are closed) and
see if they have any ideas.

Regards

ALan

--

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Urgent Help with Customs Officials Reply with quote

Alan,

I don't think anything on that form applies to aircraft. It actually says
"This form does not apply to aircraft engines" at the end of the first
paragraph. However, there isn't a clue as to what form might apply to
aircraft, or indeed that any form is needed for spark-ignition aircraft
engines. The EPA section relating to aircraft clearly refers to turbine
engines.

I'm glad you've owned your aircraft for over one year, so that you won't
have to pay import duty as a part-time resident of the US.

Good luck with your further research!

Mike

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: