Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vne Speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed (TAS). According to Derek Piggott’s Gliding text, “it is important to limit indicated airspeed so the true airspeed is kept below the Vne placard speed. Otherwise there may be risk of flutter and structural failure”.

My XS Owner’s Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1). The same manual states that for a 914 typical performance is Cruise speed (100% (at) 10,000 ft) 170 kts TAS (page 12-2, issue 1). But that is 5 kts greater than Vne!! That page also states Top Speed (sea level) 144 kts RAS. What is RAS? Is it a typing error (R is adjacent to T on a keyboard)? RAS is also referred to on the 912 performance page.

What are the performance numbers for the MG? Brochure says 151 kts TAS max cruise speed for 914 at 10000 ft. So is 151 KTAS Vne?

It is very easy to exceed 165 KTAS when descending from altitude. Should this be avoided?

Jim Butcher
XS N241BW

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Jim and all,

Quote:

I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed (TAS). According to Derek Piggott’s Gliding text, “it is important to limit indicated airspeed so the true airspeed is kept below the Vne placard speed. Otherwise there may be risk of flutter and structural failure”.

Correct

Quote:
My XS Owner’s Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1).

165 kt TAS at 100% power and MTOW is a respectable speed indeed. Has
anyone on the list performed accurate measurement of TAS on his Europa
(three GPS routes with recorded weight and OAT, etc.) ?

Quote:

Brochure says 151 kts TAS max cruise speed for 914 at 10000 ft

151 kt TAS cruise ( (at) 75% power) at MTOW is also a very very respectable
speed, even at 10000 ft. But these are 'brochure numbers'.
I would be much interested in real world numbers.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

grahamsingleton(at)btinte

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Jim
RAS is I assume Rectified Air Speed. Corrected for instrument and
position errors. (The position of the static and pitot sensors. )TAS (
true air speed ) is IAS corrected for altitude and temperature and it
will usually be higher, so you could still be below Vne.
Graham

h&jeuropa wrote:

Quote:

My XS Owner’s Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1). The same manual states that for a 914 typical performance is Cruise speed (100% (at) 10,000 ft) 170 kts TAS (page 12-2, issue 1). But that is 5 kts greater than Vne!! That page also states Top Speed (sea level) 144 kts RAS. What is RAS? Is it a typing error (R is adjacent to T on a keyboard)? RAS is also referred to on the 912 performance page.

What are the performance numbers for the MG? Brochure says 151 kts TAS max cruise speed for 914 at 10000 ft. So is 151 KTAS Vne?

It is very easy to exceed 165 KTAS when descending from altitude. Should this be avoided?

Jim Butcher
XS N241BW

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=81100#81100

willie.harrison(at)tinyon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

I suggest there are several golden rules here:
1. Never, ever, exceed the Never Exceed Speed of 165 kts. (Question for better aerodynamicists than me: should this be taken as 165 RAS since that is the direct indication of the aerodynamic load?? In practice, the big red line on the IAS scale is what we abide by in practice.)

2. Be super gentle pulling out of a Vne speed dive (eg as we have to do for Permit renewal in the UK - not sure whether there's an equivalent routine flight test elsewhere). That means plenty of height so that a modest positive g force will recover to straight and level flight with plenty to spare.

3. Abide by Va (97kts for Europa) and Vno 131 kts for Europa) and Vfe (83 kts for Europa) limitations (definitions below):

VA
design maneuvering speed (stalling speed at the maximum legal G-force, and hence the maximum speed at which abrupt, full deflection, control inputs will not cause the aircraft to exceed its G-force limit). Maneuvering speed is limited by aircraft structural characteristics.
VNO
maximum structural cruising speed (the maximum speed to be used in turbulent conditions) or can refer to the velocity of normal operation. VNO is specified as the upper limit of the green arc on many airspeed indicators. This speed is specific to the aircraft model. The range above VNO is marked on the airspeed indicator as a yellow arc from VNO to the VNE

VFE
Max speed for flap extension

4. Be wary of Brochure performance claims.

Willie Harrison G-BZNY

On 12 Dec 2006, at 23:25, Graham Singleton wrote:
[quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com (grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com)>
Jim
RAS is I assume Rectified Air Speed. Corrected for instrument and position errors. (The position of the static and pitot sensors. )TAS ( true air speed ) is IAS corrected for altitude and temperature and it will usually be higher, so you could still be below Vne.
Graham
h&amp;jeuropa wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "h&amp;jeuropa" <europa(at)triton.net (europa(at)triton.net)>
I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed (TAS). According to Derek Piggotts Gliding text, it is important to limit indicated airspeed so the true airspeed is kept below the Vne placard speed. Otherwise there may be risk of flutter and structural failure.
My XS Owners Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1). The same manual states that for a 914 typical performance is Cruise speed (100% (at) 10,000 ft) 170 kts TAS (page 12-2, issue 1). But that is 5 kts greater than Vne!! That page also states Top Speed (sea level) 144 kts RAS. What is RAS? Is it a typing error (R is adjacent to T on a keyboard)? RAS is also referred to on the 912 performance page.
Jim Butcher XS N241BW

-- Please Support Your Lists This Month --
(And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)
November is the Annual List Fund Raiser. Click on
the Contribution link below to find out more about
this year's Terrific Free Incentive Gifts provided
by:
* AeroElectric www.aeroelectric.com
* The Builder's Bookstore www.buildersbooks.com
* Aeroware Enterprises www.kitlog.com
* HomebuiltHELP www.homebuilthelp.com
List Contribution Web Site
--> http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Thank you for your generous support!
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
- The Europa-List Email Forum -
--> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
[b]

asarangan(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

RAS is not a commonly used term, but it means Rectified Airspeed, which
is the same as Calibrated Airspeed (CAS). CAS is the Airspeed corrected
for installation errors.

--- "h&amp;jeuropa" <europa(at)triton.net> wrote:

Quote:

<europa(at)triton.net>

I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True
Airspeed (TAS). According to Derek Piggott’s Gliding text, “it
is important to limit indicated airspeed so the true airspeed is kept
below the Vne placard speed. Otherwise there may be risk of flutter
and structural failure”.

My XS Owner’s Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue
1). The same manual states that for a 914 typical performance is
Cruise speed (100% (at) 10,000 ft) 170 kts TAS (page 12-2, issue 1).
But that is 5 kts greater than Vne!! That page also states Top Speed
(sea level) 144 kts RAS. What is RAS? Is it a typing error (R is
adjacent to T on a keyboard)? RAS is also referred to on the 912
performance page.

What are the performance numbers for the MG? Brochure says 151 kts
TAS max cruise speed for 914 at 10000 ft. So is 151 KTAS Vne?

It is very easy to exceed 165 KTAS when descending from altitude.
Should this be avoided?

Jim Butcher
XS N241BW

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Vne speed Reply with quote

Hi Jim,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is absolutely wrong. All airspeed limitations are IAS, Indicated AirSpeeds. On the other hand, all performances figures are TAS, True AirSpeed.
Besides the instrument error, what your Pitot is senses and what your anemometer indicates is exactly what affects the load on the structure of the aircraft. Suppose you are doing 170kts True AirSpeed at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />10000 feet. The density at this altitude in standard atmosphere is 0.74. Your Indicated Air Speed will be 170 multiplied by the square root of the density, i.e 0.86, so your anemometer will indicate 146 kts, which is far enough from Vne.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL

Subject: Vne Speed
From: "h&amp;jeuropa" <europa(at)triton.net (europa(at)triton.net)>
I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed (TAS).
According to Derek Piggotts Gliding text, it is important to limit indicated
airspeed so the true airspeed is kept below the Vne placard speed. Otherwise
there may be risk of flutter and structural failure.

My XS Owners Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1). The same manual
states that for a 914 typical performance is Cruise speed (100% (at) 10,000
ft) 170 kts TAS (page 12-2, issue 1). But that is 5 kts greater than Vne!!
That page also states Top Speed (sea level) 144 kts RAS. What is RAS? Is it
a typing error (R is adjacent to T on a keyboard)? RAS is also referred to on
the 912 performance page.

What are the performance numbers for the MG? Brochure says 151 kts TAS max cruise
speed for 914 at 10000 ft. So is 151 KTAS Vne?

It is very easy to exceed 165 KTAS when descending from altitude. Should this
be avoided?

Jim Butcher
XS N241BW [quote][b]

pete(at)lawless.info

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

IAS is what you see on the ASI
CAS is IAS corrected for instrument error, errors in manufacture or calibration
RAS is CAS corrected for Position Error
EAS is RAS corrected for compressibility Error
(only applicable to 200 hp turbo charged Europas)

--

sidsel.svein(at)oslo.onli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Vne speed Reply with quote

All,

The reference for Vne is CAS (calibrated air speed), not IAS by definition. If your ASI has been properly calibrated, you read it off the instrument as equal to IAS.

As to the Vne verification (not test - that's implying it's too risky), Andy Draper gave me this good recommendation while he was still at Europa's (starting with the issue of flutter test, which is NOT recommended):

I would recommend that you do conduct a dive to Vne during your test flying, but only after you have calibrated your ASI. At Vne you should move the stick in pitch and roll by a small amount and separately and also the rudder, but not necessarily tap them. This tapping is a technique to try to excite flutter where there is a tendency for it to happen and usually need only be done when establishing the flight characteristics of a new design. You will be more concerned to check that the forces have increased with increased speed and that there is still a tendency for the controls to self centre. It would be most unlikely that your aircraft does not comply, as the Europa design has been fully tried and tested.

In the UK, this 'Vne dive' is conducted at each annual flight test. The favoured technique is to fly and trim at a high cruise speed, say 130kts level, then progressively pitch down and reduce throttle to approximately 1/3 open. Carefully monitor the ASI and be careful not to accellerate beyond Vne. Anticipate Vne by about 5 knots by relaxing forward pressure. Don't attempt to trim for Vne. When you relax the forward pressure the aircraft will revert to a climb and slow reasonably quickly.
unquote
Nedless to say: No wind sheer and no turbulense when this verification is performed!
Best regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ

[quote][b]

wdaniell(at)etb.net.co

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Vne speed Reply with quote

This is my understanding also everything in Vspeeds is IAS otherwise you would have to get you E6b out in the middle of a maneuver…

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rmi Guerner
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 14:52
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Vne speed

Hi Jim,

This is absolutely wrong. All airspeed limitations are IAS, Indicated AirSpeeds. On the other hand, all performances figures are TAS, True AirSpeed.
Besides the instrument error, what your Pitot is senses and what your anemometer indicates is exactly what affects the load on the structure of the aircraft. Suppose you are doing 170kts True AirSpeed at 10000 feet. The density at this altitude in standard atmosphere is 0.74. Your Indicated Air Speed will be 170 multiplied by the square root of the density, i.e 0.86, so your anemometer will indicate 146 kts, which is far enough from Vne.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL

Subject: Vne Speed
From: "h&amp;jeuropa" <europa(at)triton.net (europa(at)triton.net)>

I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed (TAS).
According to Derek Piggotts Gliding text, it is important to limit indicated
airspeed so the true airspeed is kept below the Vne placard speed. Otherwise
there may be risk of flutter and structural failure.

My XS Owners Manual states that Vne is 165 kts (page 2-1, issue 1). The same manual
states that for a 914 typical performance is Cruise speed (100% (at) 10,000
ft) 170 kts TAS (page 12-2, issue 1). But that is 5 kts greater than Vne!!
That page also states Top Speed (sea level) 144 kts RAS. What is RAS? Is it
a typing error (R is adjacent to T on a keyboard)? RAS is also referred to on
the 912 performance page.

What are the performance numbers for the MG? Brochure says 151 kts TAS max cruise
speed for 914 at 10000 ft. So is 151 KTAS Vne?

It is very easy to exceed 165 KTAS when descending from altitude. Should this
be avoided?

Jim Butcher
XS N241BW
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

gccole13(at)cwcom.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Jim,
If my memory is correct speeds are defined as follows:
Indicated Airspeed (IAS) = Instrument reading corrected for instrument (mechanical) error.
Rectified Airspeed (RAS) is the 1940's British equivalent of the American Calibrated Airspeed (CAS). They both equal Instrument reading corrected for instrument error and position (pressure) error( I think there is some difference between the two at high speeds and altitudes).
If you are lucky, on our kind of aeroplane there won't be too much difference between IAS and RAS or CAS.
Both RAS and CAS are close to the scientifically pure Equivalent Airspeed (EAS).
EAS = True Airspeed (TAS) x the square root of the relative air density. On a Standard day (15 deg C at sealevel falling at a little under 2 deg C per 1000ft up to 36000ft) EAS equals TAS at sealevel, but at 10,000 ft an EAS of 150kts is equivalent to a TAS of 174.5kts.

I could be wrong but I thought design manoeuvring envelopes were defined in EAS and cockpit placards showed IAS.
Gerry Cole , Classic 121
[quote] ---

jan.de.jong(at)xs4all.nl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't believe this. Aerodynamic forces are a function of CAS, not TAS.

Regards,
Jan de Jong

jan.de.jong(at)xs4all.nl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, I should have done a search.
Apparently aeodynamic forces are not all there is to Vne - the sheer
velocity of the air is a factor too.
Interesting - didn't know.

Regards,
Jan de Jong

robh(at)hyperion-ef.us

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

AOPA members can check this out at http://www.aopa.org/members/files/flttrain/aeronautical_knowledge/8083-25_chap9.pdf
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
but the relevant definitions from the “Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge 2003” (FAA-H-8083-25) are quoted below:
True Airspeed (TAS) – the speed of the airplane in relation to the air mass in which it is flying.
Indicated Airspeed (IAS) – the speed of the airplane as observed on the airspeed indicator. It is the airspeed without correction for indicator, position (or installation), or compressibility errors.
Calibrated Airspeed (CAS) – the airspeed indicator reading corrected for position (or installation), and instrument errors. (CAS is equal to TAS at sea level in standard atmosphere.) The color-coding for various design speeds marked on airspeed indicators may be IAS or CAS.
Equivalent Airspeed (EAS) – the airspeed indicator reading corrected for position (or installation), or instrument error, and for adiabatic compressible flow for the particular altitude. (EAS is equal to CAS at sea level in standard atmosphere.)
VA – the calibrated design maneuvering airspeed. This is the maximum speed at which the limit load can be imposed (either by gusts or full deflection of the control surfaces) without causing structural damage.
VNO – the maximum calibrated airspeed for normal operation or the maximum structural cruising speed. This is the speed at which exceeding the limit load factor may cause permanent deformation of the airplane structure.
VNE – the calibrated airspeed which should NEVER be exceeded. If flight is attempted above this speed, structural damage or structural failure may result.
VSO, VS1, VX, VY, VLE, VFO, and VFE, are ALL in CAS. The FAA does not mention RAS in this publication, probably because that term is not common on this side of the Atlantic.
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Best regards,
Rob Housman
A070
Airframe complete
Irvine, CA
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of Gerry Cole
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 1:52 PM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Vne Speed
Jim,
If my memory is correct speeds are defined as follows:
Indicated Airspeed (IAS) = Instrument reading corrected for instrument (mechanical) error.
Rectified Airspeed (RAS) is the 1940's British equivalent of the American Calibrated Airspeed (CAS). They both equal Instrument reading corrected for instrument error and position (pressure) error( I think there is some difference between the two at high speeds and altitudes).
If you are lucky, on our kind of aeroplane there won't be too much difference between IAS and RAS or CAS.
Both RAS and CAS are close to the scientifically pure Equivalent Airspeed (EAS).
EAS = True Airspeed (TAS) x the square root of the relative air density. On a Standard day (15 deg C at sealevel falling at a little under 2 deg C per 1000ft up to 36000ft) EAS equals TAS at sealevel, but at 10,000 ft an EAS of 150kts is equivalent to a TAS of 174.5kts.

I could be wrong but I thought design manoeuvring envelopes were defined in EAS and cockpit placards showed IAS.
Gerry Cole , Classic 121
----- Original Message -----

I have recently become aware that Vne is normally expressed in True Airspeed (TAS). ?

Jim Butcher
XS N241BW
List Contribution Web Site
<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
[quote]<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]> -- Please Support Your Lists This Month -- (And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!) November is the Annual List Fund Raiser. Click on the Contribution link below to find out more about this year's Terrific Free Incentive Gifts provided by: * AeroElectric www.aeroelectric.com * The Builder's Bookstore www.buildersbooks.com * Aeroware Enterprises www.kitlog.com * HomebuiltHELP www.homebuilthelp.com List Contribution Web Site --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution Thank you for your generous support! -Matt Dralle, List Admin. - The Europa-List Email Forum - --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>[b]

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Vne speed Reply with quote

Hello all,

Some additional info on this subject :<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

FAR 23, paragraph 1323, states that the airspeed error, i.e. difference between IAS (indicated airspeed) and CAS (corrected airspeed) should not be higher than 3% or 5 knots whichever is greater. That means that CAS and IAS are very close to eachother. So, provided that the Europa pitot system is close to this requirement, you can safely rely on the airspeed indicator to avoid exceeding the speed limitations.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL [quote][b]

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Hi All,
OK, interesting discussion to start of with. Appreciated that Vne should never be exceeded, has there ever been structural damage caused by over speeding to a Europa? Or to make the question even wider, has there ever been damage to an Europa excluding take-offs and landings?
Not that i intend to over speed, but it would be nice to know how sturdy this ship is.

Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen
Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

steven.pitt2(at)ntlworld.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Jos
I did ask Andy about the wing strength and VNE when in Florida this year. We
were discussing some of the speeds that the Americans were reaching with
tail winds and at high level. I am sure that he said that the wing had been
designed to somewhere around 300 mph so that any of the Americans flying
high and fast were still within the limits of the design (without getting
too technical).
I believe him and was reassured that exceeding VNE would not rip the wings
off (not that I would want to go that way).
Regards
Steve

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

As far ab breaking a Europa in flight:

My partner designed a short wing Europa in X-Plane.

One thing that was a real eye opener was looking at stress lines seeing
just how much the tips of the wings get loaded negative (large twist
forces) with the flaps down if you go not much faster than flap limit
speed.

My bet is the wing would fail and the flaps would be in perfect shape.

Ron Parigoris

fklein(at)orcasonline.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Hi All,

Apropos the questions posed by Jos, Alex Bowman reported an occasion w/
his 130 hp Honda powered XS mono w/ Airmaster prop when his throttle
linkage parted while cruising at 2500 ft ASL during the summer in
British Columbia. The throttle was spring-loaded to go to full power
(rather than idle in such an event); Alex observed an IAS in excess of
200 mph in a climb prior to going to fine pitch and eventually shutting
down for an uneventful dead stick landing. Alex was carrying a 200 lb
passenger at the time with about 3/4 fuel. I'm uncertain of the
duration of this high speed, but I believe it was more than just an
instant and less than a minute. With the heavier engine, Alex's plane
is approved by Canadian authorities for a MTOW of 1500 lb. There was no
visible structural damage as a consequence nor is any suspected. Though
one may question the extra horses and high MTOW for the Europa, for
myself, I am content that Alex's experience and knowledge gained during
his career as a test pilot for the RCAF were adequate guides for his
choices & configuration.

Fred
A194

On Thursday, December 14, 2006, at 06:04 AM, josok wrote:

Quote:

Hi All,
OK, interesting discussion to start of with. Appreciated that Vne
should never be exceeded, has there ever been structural damage caused
by over speeding to a Europa? Or to make the question even wider, has
there ever been damage to an Europa excluding take-offs and landings?
Not that i intend to over speed, but it would be nice to know how
sturdy this ship is.

Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

During Flight Testing and flutter tests I took my Monowheeel Classic to
184kts (Vne + 10%) IAS and did the flutter tests. Managed to do all controls
in one attempt from 10000ft. Came out of the dive very slowly at 1000ft. All
held together perfectly. No flutter, thank god.
Tim
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

Ph +64 3 3515166
Mobile 021 0640221
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
---

tonyk(at)kaon.co.nz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Vne Speed Reply with quote

Quote:
>> OK, interesting discussion to start of with. Appreciated that Vne
should never be exceeded, has there ever been structural damage caused

by over speeding to a Europa? Or to make the question even wider, has
there ever been damage to an Europa excluding take-offs and landings?
Not that i intend to over speed, but it would be nice to know how sturdy
this ship is.

During the initial testing of the Airmaster prop the PFA requested a
vibration analysis report of a rapid throttle backoff at Vne+10% as
another (unnamed) constant speed prop had shown excessive vibration when
the same test was performed as speeds less than Vne. I did the rapid
throttle backoff test at 7000 feet and ZK-UBD felt like it was running
on rails at 185KIAS. When I got down we found that the vibration sensor
head had failed so I had to go back up and repeat the process!

Tony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: