Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil return hose / 914

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgds(at)post6.tele.dk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Oil return hose / 914 Reply with quote

HiI have had an quite unpleasant experience while doing my annual.
The last month or so I have noticed a ( - very week) smell of "hot oil" sometimes during take of...... and funny enough only during take of.
Could not localize the reason until now when disassembling the different parts under the cowling for the 100 hours/annual check.
It looks like the oil - return - hose have been more than hot under the asbestos - fire - sleeve, and therefore have changed to a kind of "glasslike".
I am sure it would have collapsed within the next hours.
The oil - line have been routed according to Rotax installation manual and instructions from Europa - app. 90 degree to the stb. side and up alongside the intake manifold to the top of the oil-tank
The problem is on that piece of the hose that runs between the turbo unit and the bottom of the engine.
You better put that oil-line on your check - list if you fly behind a 914' ..
FYI - I have never seen higher oil-temp's than 110C (app. 230F) according to the log in my FlyDat.
Have other had similar experiences?

Gert
OY-GDS 

NB    - remember to make a notice about Endelave '07 in your agenda   Smile

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Dave Miller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Oil return hose / 914 Reply with quote

Gert,

A friend had the same problem with his 914 installation. The line had "carbonized" and was quite brittle.
As far as I remember, he replaced the oil lines with Teflon lines from Aircraft Spruce.

Dave 912S trigear

Gert Dalgaard <lgds(at)post6.tele.dk>
Sent by: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com
11/30/2006 02:16 PM
Please respond to europa-list

To:   europa-list(at)matronics.com
cc:  
Subject: Oil return hose / 914

Hi
I have had an quite unpleasant experience while doing my annual.
The last month or so I have noticed a ( - very week) smell of "hot oil" sometimes during take of..... and funny enough only during take of.
Could not localize the reason until now when disassembling the different parts under the cowling for the 100 hours/annual check.
It looks like the oil - return - hose have been more than hot under the asbestos - fire - sleeve, and therefore have changed to a kind of "glasslike".
The oil - line have been routed according to Rotax installation manual and instructions from Europa - app. 90 degree to the stb. side and up alongside the intake manifold to the top of the oil-tank
The problem is on that piece of the hose that runs between the turbo unit and the bottom of the engine.
You better put that oil-line on your check - list if you fly behind a 914' ...
FYI - I have never seen higher oil-temp's than 110C (app. 230F) according to the log in my FlyDat.
Have other had similar experiences?

Gert
[url=Times New Roman]OY-GDS [/url]

NB    - remember to make a notice about [url=Times New Roman]Endelave '07[/url] in your agenda   Smile

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Oil return hose / 914 Reply with quote

Hi! Gert
Whilst I’m not a 914 “driver” YET…. I seem to remember that there has been an issue over this problem that involved re-routing the pipe /changing the direction of the “banjo” fitting to take the hose away from either the manifold or muffler heat?
I’m all ears for messages from those who have been previously informed.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Gert Dalgaard
Sent: 30 November 2006 19:17
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Oil return hose / 914

Hi
I have had an quite unpleasant experience while doing my annual.

The last month or so I have noticed a ( - very week) smell of "hot oil" sometimes during take of...... and funny enough only during take of.

Could not localize the reason until now when disassembling the different parts under the cowling for the 100 hours/annual check.

It looks like the oil - return - hose have been more than hot under the asbestos - fire - sleeve, and therefore have changed to a kind of "glasslike".

The oil - line have been routed according to Rotax installation manual and instructions from Europa - app. 90 degree to the stb. side and up alongside the intake manifold to the top of the oil-tank

You better put that oil-line on your check - list if you fly behind a 914' ..

Have other had similar experiences?

Gert

OY-GDS

NB - remember to make a notice about Endelave '07 in your agenda Smile

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

[quote] [b]

garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Oil return hose / 914 Reply with quote

Actually, I was one of the earliest 914 Europa drivers in the US.......first flight being in 1999. With about 50 hours of flight I had the oil return line "carbonize", and burst in flight. Fortunately, no fire but lots of smoke. The oil return line provided by Europa (or perhaps it was Rotax), was junk. I replaced it with a stainless steel braided oil line, covered the line with firesleave, and further wrapped a stainless steel jacket around the line where it comes closest to the exhaust system. 400 hours later, no problem.

A better solution however, is to turn the banjo fitting at the bottom of the engine so as to face forward. Then route the oil return line forward to the front of the engine and then backward to the oil tank, keeping the line far away from any exhaust components. A "stock" oil return line, fitted per instructions WILL burn up. Please take this advice seriously.

Garry Stout
N4220S A060 Trigear

[quote] ---

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Oil return hose / 914 Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to dispute the seriousness of Garry's oil pipe failure, but
I ran my 914 with Europa supplied original oil pipe in their fire sleeve
according to their route, aiming to give maximum clearance from any hot
bits. It clearly became hard and shiny at the front end within few hours
flying but remained that way without problem until I changed it at 4
yrs/400+hrs. The replacement (Europa/Rotax standard) with a slightly thicker
fire sleeve is going well 100hrs later. Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: