Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hexadyne 2 Cyl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank-margie(at)worldnet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Hexadyne 2 Cyl Reply with quote

Interesting article in the recent CONTACT magazine (issue 81) on the Hexadyne aero engine. Includes pictures of two different Kolbs fitted with pre-production "test" engines. 2 cyl opposed, 60 HP, 98 lbs including redrive/starter/alternator. Very interesting technical features (4 valves/cyl, electronic fuel injection and engine mgt, directly opposed cyls using 2 rods on one side). Unfortunately not cheap, listed at $8800. The manufacturer's web site is also interesting, www.HexatronEngineering.com.

Frank Clyma

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
firebug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hexadyne 2 Cyl Reply with quote

They have been developing this engine for years. At least 4 or 5 I believe. I would be nervous about buying one until they had a track record and financial stability with the company.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Jung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hexadyne 2 Cyl Reply with quote

frank-margie(at)worldnet. wrote:
Interesting article in the recent CONTACT magazine (issue 81) on the Hexadyne aero engine.

I got a chance to meet Cy Williams (President and Chief Engineer) at Copperstate, last October. He gave a talk about his engine in the CONTACT booth. I had also seen it at Oshkosh more than once and a friend tried his engine on a Mark III that was used for towing hang gliders.

I think that Cy is on track, although very slowly, to have a good engine available. The problem that was yet to be resolved, as of last October, was leaks. Because the pistons move toward each other at the same time, the crankcase changes from high pressure to low pressure every revolution of the crank. A one way valve was added so that the crankcase would operate in a near vaccumn, and testing was proceeding.

There also was one plane flying a Copperstate with the Hexadyne. It had no muffler and it was loud. The situation for mufflers, as of then, was the builder designs his own.

The Hexadyne appears to be a good size and weight for the Firestar, when and if the development gets far enough along. Of course everone has his own level of experimenting that they are willing to do. I just am not willling to pay $8800 so that I can do a companies testing. Some people are willing, and without them a small company like Cy's would probably not be able to come out with a new engine like this.

What kind of Kolbs were in the pictures in CONTACT?

rswiderski(at)earthlink.n

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Hexadyne 2 Cyl Reply with quote

John, the 2 Kolbs were a FS & MkIII -Richard Swiderski

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: