Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport survival

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eckel1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Airport survival Reply with quote

I have and unusual subject for the forum.

We are going to loose a local airport, N75, in New Jersey, USA and we are fighting to keep it.
The airport is being sold because the owners can no longer afford the taxes and the local towns
are planning to buy it for sport fields.

A proposal has been made to the town to make the property a combination airport and playing
fields. They have agreed to look into this option so we are hopeful. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever seen such a combination and how successfully they have operated together.

Thank you,
John Eckel, A230
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
europa flugzeug fabrik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Airport survival Reply with quote

eckel1(at)comcast.net wrote:
A proposal has been made to the town to make the property a combination airport and playing fields. They have agreed to look into this option so we are hopeful. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever seen such a combination and how successfully they have operated together.

We have such an airport -- with an indoor sports setup (tennis, basketball, etc) and an outdoor soccer field, all private-sector investment and operation. It must be losing big time, I think for obvious reasons. There’s no compatibility problem, but a fence is needed for liability reasons, if that’s your question. Plus, I wouldn’t want to be landing there just on the off-chance something could happen. I’d rather crash into the fence than hurt anybody.

Ain’t Google quick and cool, ‘cause I found that the County will front $1.5 million for this. But with a fence, and depending upon size, that $1.5 mil may not stretch far enough. You also didn’t say if gov’t intends to charge the public fees, to be as self-sustaining as possible. With fees it won’t be. Apparently 4 small towns would be involved in this, and voters there usually set the $$ limits. There could be organized opposition, which should be headed off now, if feared. In our nice suburb of 75,000, voters once approved an indoor skating rink, roller and ice. Very popular. City recently proposed another rink. 70/30 to defeat, even as a bond issue; taxes are high enough. Voters are actually smart. The first rink in a pretty brick building in a pretty City Park was about property values -- a town to live in. The second rink was just about skaters, a small % of voters.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

eckel1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Airport survival Reply with quote

The County is putting up $500,000 this year and $1.5 million next year for
the purchase of the field from the present owners. One of the attractions
of the airport is that it is flat and they feel all
they have to do is put lines down and put up goal posts.

We are pushing the idea of keeping the airport for educational as well as
recreational use. Things like the Young Eagles program ( we just flew 42
kids) and Boy Scout merit badges.
Adults also need recreation and the airport would serve that purpose,
especially for Sport pilots. I have been told that Charles Lindberg used
the airport, so there are historical reasons to keep the airport. It is
only 8 miles from where he lived in Hopewell, NJ. (The same town as the
airport) There are a lot of good reasons, but it will be a lot of work.
Thanks for writing.

John
---

europa flugzeug fabrik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Airport survival Reply with quote

eckel1(at)comcast.net wrote:
Adults also need recreation and the airport would serve that purpose, especially for Sport pilots. I have been told that Charles Lindberg used the airport, so there are historical reasons to keep the airport. It is only 8 miles from where he lived in Hopewell, NJ. (The same town as the airport) There are a lot of good reasons, but it will be a lot of work.

Indeed. And that really works for me as long-time pilot and aircraft owner, but scrap the nostalgia except as anecdotal. Strictly business, as in the Godfather movies. Take a tip from somebody who is an officer in our Airport User Association. I’ve been politely lectured more than once in the Mayor’s office or that of County Commissioners, each of avoiding “sunshine laws.” I’ve several times got up before the microphone to address government on the merits if the issue for the public good, with people from the”media table” flagging me down for quoted comment. Unlike usually annoying talking heads on TV of the federal pols, local pols make crap for pay, and they really want to make the commonweal work.

You want to save that airport for your airplane, marginal utility though a turf strip may be, but please scrap that agenda. The beauty of American democracy is how (sadly or not) few people get involved at the local level to make things happen. And local pols can be rather clueless. Success or failure, it’s a priceless experience.

Fred F.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: