Oil cooler thermostat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

sidsel.svein(at)oslo.onli
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Lockwood sells an oil cooler thermostat, presumably suitable for Rotax 912S.

- Anyone with good experience using this to keep oil temp acceptably high (problem at my latitudes)?

- Does it come with good installation instructions?

- What other fittings are required to connect it to standard Europa oil system?

- Any good alternatives?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Sidsel & Svein Johnsen wrote:

Quote:
Lockwood sells an oil cooler thermostat, presumably
suitable for Rotax 912S.

- Anyone with good experience using this to keep oil
temp acceptably high (problem at my latitudes)?

- Does it come with good installation instructions?

- What other fittings are required to connect it to
standard Europa oil system?

- Any good alternatives?

I tried the Mocal OT/1 oil thermostat as per an approved
PFA mod, which required drilling out the four oil
entrances and exits. I think this messed up the system
inside. It does not keep the temperature up in cold
weather. It needs "close off the air through the
radiators" baffling also.

I have bought one of these Lockwood thermostats, made by
Perma-Cool. It has good documentation but has a very
strange sentence in it.

"Under severely extreme colling conditions it may be
possible to overcool the oil even with the thermostat in
place. This can be caused by the cooled oil moving through
the thermostat and creating a false reading from the
thermostat actuator".

This I do not make any sense of, especially with the
following sentence :

"In these circumstances, it is recommended that the "C2"
(return from the cooler) be plugged and that the return
line from the oil cooler be connected via a T fitting in
the line that runs between "E2" and the oil pump."

I have asked Perma-Cool twice to explain these words and
neither time did the answer make sense to me.

However if it does make sense to someone I would be
interested to hear !

In the case of the unaltered Mocal thermostat the oil path
through the cooler is blocked by its diaphragm when the
oil is cool. In the Lockwood one it isn't with maybe 10%
oil going through the cooler anyway. I can't however see
how any "overcooling" would be fixed by using the T piece
which avoids the cold oil going through the thermostat.

In short some (adjustable) baffling to reduce to almost
zero the air flow through the radiators in the cruise is
working for me ! (With the Mocal radiator) - I haven't
tried the Lockwood one yet)

I could scan the three pages of instructions and send them
to you if you wished.

Richard
G-OWWW High Cross

lgds(at)post6.tele.dk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Hi SveinI know that our Scandinavian friend, Stefan hase mounted an oil thermostat on his '914, and it seems to work all right.
You can get in touch with him on ingemarsson.s(at)telia.com (ingemarsson.s(at)telia.com)
Regards Gert
OY-GDS

Den 12/11/2006 kl. 10.11 skrev Sidsel & Svein Johnsen:
Quote:
Lockwood sells an oil cooler thermostat, presumably suitable for Rotax 912S.

- Anyone with good experience using this to keep oil temp acceptably high (problem at my latitudes)?

- Does it come with good installation instructions?

- What other fittings are required to connect it to standard Europa oil system?

- Any good alternatives?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ

Gert Dalgaard Soerensen
Stabelvej 9, Haarby
DK 8660 Skanderborg
Denmark

Europa builder No. 151
Europa Mono / Rotax 914
AC reg.:    OY-GDS

Phone.:  +45  8695 0595
E mail:    lgds(at)post6.tele.dk (lgds(at)post6.tele.dk)

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Svein and all,

Quote:
Lockwood sells an oil cooler thermostat, presumably suitable for Rotax
912S.

- Anyone with good experience using this to keep oil temp acceptably
high (problem at my latitudes)?

- Any good alternatives?

The Rotax dealers are now selling oil thermostats for the Rotax engines.
One should be aware that using an oil thermostat involves taking in
more cooling air than necessary, and diverting oil from the oil
cooler when not in the warmest conditions.
In addition to the extra weight, permanently taking in more air means
flying with the maximum possible cooling drag for the entire life of the
aircraft.

Dyn'Aero went this way for their 914 MCR glider tow : at towing speeds
drag is not really a problem, and repeated quick descents to land may
lead to overcooling.

If performance is key, it is simpler, lighter, and safer to use a
properly designed cowl flap. Less cooling air into the radiators means
less drag. This is what I chose for our four-seater project :
http://contrails.free.fr/tunnel.php
http://contrails.free.fr/engine_aerodyn_radia.php

Reducing drag is really worth some consideration with a clean aircraft.

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Svein,
I bought the oil thermostat in Germany by the Rotax dealer Franz. The system is quiet simple and the instructions for installation are clear. You neet to ask for the connections you want. You can find all this on the net. Franz Aircraft de. search under Zubehör ölthermostat.
Best regards,
Karel Vranken.
[quote] ---

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Quote:
One should be aware that using an oil thermostat involves taking in
more cooling air than necessary, and diverting oil from the oil cooler
when not in the warmest conditions.
In addition to the extra weight, permanently taking in more air means
flying with the maximum possible cooling drag for the entire life of the
aircraft.

Gilles,

I can not imagine that the presence of an oilthermostat changes the flow of
the cooling air trough the radiators. What do you really mean by taking in
more air permanently?
Karel Vranken.

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Karel,

Quote:

I can not imagine that the presence of an oilthermostat changes the
flow of the cooling air trough the radiators.

Of course not.

Quote:
What do you really mean by taking in more air permanently?

Using a thermostat : change oil flow through the radiator, not air flow

- Take in enough air to cool on the "worst case conditions", say
ISA+23°C and take-off power. This is a great amount of air.
- Continuously flow it through the radiator. And so incur highest
cooling drag permanently.
- When you need less cooling (cruise, descent, cold day, etc.), prevent
the oil from getting into the radiator. But still flow as much air
through the radiator.
- Add extra plumbing and obstruction in the oil circuit.

Using a cowl flap : change airflow through radiator, not oil flow

- Take in just enough air to cool the engine
- Take in much air when on take-off on a hot day (highest cooling drag)
- Take in less air during cruise (lower cooling drag)
- Take in still less on a cold day or on descent (lowest possible
cooling drag)
- No disturbance in the oil circuit

That's why the Mosquito and Mustang were so fast. Works great for us.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Gilles
as allways, you are so clear. You make it sound obvious, whixh it is if
one thinks clearly Smile
Graham

Gilles Thesee wrote:

Quote:

<Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>

Karel,

> I can not imagine that the presence of an oilthermostat changes the
> flow of the cooling air trough the radiators.
Of course not.

> What do you really mean by taking in more air permanently?

Using a thermostat : change oil flow through the radiator, not air flow

- Take in enough air to cool on the "worst case conditions", say
ISA+23°C and take-off power. This is a great amount of air.
- Continuously flow it through the radiator. And so incur highest
cooling drag permanently.
- When you need less cooling (cruise, descent, cold day, etc.),
prevent the oil from getting into the radiator. But still flow as much
air through the radiator.
- Add extra plumbing and obstruction in the oil circuit.

Using a cowl flap : change airflow through radiator, not oil flow

- Take in just enough air to cool the engine
- Take in much air when on take-off on a hot day (highest cooling drag)
- Take in less air during cruise (lower cooling drag)
- Take in still less on a cold day or on descent (lowest possible
cooling drag)
- No disturbance in the oil circuit

That's why the Mosquito and Mustang were so fast. Works great for us.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

Horizonspace(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/12/2006 5:06:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,
karelvranken(at)hotmail.com writes:

Svein,
I bought the oil thermostat in Germany by the Rotax dealer Franz. The system
is quiet simple and the instructions for installation are clear. You neet to
ask for the connections you want. You can find all this on the net. Franz
Aircraft de. search under Zubehör ölthermostat.
Best regards,
Karel Vranken.

sidsel.svein(at)oslo.onli
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Thank you very much to all who responded to my questions regarding oil cooler thermostat. What is noticeable, however, is that it appears that few have actually installed a thermostat.

I favour a thermostat from the point of "automatic" operation, but realize that "anything that can go wrong will go wrong". Has anyone checked their favoured thermostat make with manufacturer/supplier regarding reliability?

From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers would be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable (which I can if I wish).
The issue is how best to arrange it. With +2- +5 degr C OAT, I barely hit 95 C oil temp on top of climb from 360 to 2500 ft and only 65-70 C in level cruise. Cyl head temp reaches 105 C dropping to 80-90 C. This is with all of the 2 inch of oil cooler below water cooler shielded by alu plate and 50% of water cooler with rest of oil cooler behind also covered. The rest of the cooler area I would really like to keep open due to the cabin heat warm air collector behind. Will only get lower temps as the winter approaches, of course. Both oil temp and CHT gauges checked for correct readings. Hmmmm - - - -.

Best regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Svein and all,

Quote:

From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers
would be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable
(which I can if I wish).
The issue is how best to arrange it.

It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we
need to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to flow
across the rad core.
A carefully designed diffuser is key.
Having a large hole with partly covered radiators inside, is like having
a deployed air-brake.

And we don't need a permanent air-brake, do we ?

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Why has the Europa such a huge duct and all those other openings ? I see
pictures of many other 9xx powered aircraft with just one or two small
openings (i.e. CT). What I would like is a variable opening at the bottom
of the cowl with a louvred door. Open it wide when climbing, scooping in
masses of air when drag is not an issue, and close it in the cruise.

Karl

Quote:
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Oil cooler thermostat
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:48:48 +0100

<Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>

Svein and all,

> From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers would
>be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable (which I
>can if I wish). The issue is how best to arrange it.

It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we need
to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to flow across
the rad core.
A carefully designed diffuser is key.
Having a large hole with partly covered radiators inside, is like having a
deployed air-brake.

And we don't need a permanent air-brake, do we ?

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Karl,

Quote:

Why has the Europa such a huge duct and all those other openings ?

Maybe they are in need of some improvement in this area ?
Since Europas can be as fast as our airplane, there is no reason why
they should have larger ducts with the same engine.
Quote:
I see pictures of many other 9xx powered aircraft with just one or two
small openings (i.e. CT). What I would like is a variable opening at
the bottom of the cowl with a louvred door. Open it wide when
climbing, scooping in masses of air when drag is not an issue, and
close it in the cruise.

That's the way a proper cooling setup is engineered. Be careful not to
open wider than necessary : you only add drag, think of the LongEZ
ventral flap.

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

karelvranken(at)hotmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Gilles,
We are going to the point. You are wright and Karel and Karl are searching
for the same solution. I have in mind a cowl flap moved by an adjustable
Bowden cable. Still a small technical problem when moving the cowling.
Something for long winter evenings.
Regards,
Karel Vranken.

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Right again,Gilles Smile
The area of intake required to cool an O-360 Lycoming on a Long EZ is
about 14 square inches, but only if everything inside the cowling is
optimised, baffling, pressure recovery ducts etc.There are several EZs
with inlets this small. Most of them use exhaust extraction to help
cooling on the ground.
Graham

Gilles Thesee wrote:

Quote:

<Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>

Svein and all,

> From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers
> would be better, especially if I could make them in-flight adjustable
> (which I can if I wish). The issue is how best to arrange it.
It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we
need to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to flow
across the rad core.
A carefully designed diffuser is key.
Having a large hole with partly covered radiators inside, is like
having a deployed air-brake.

And we don't need a permanent air-brake, do we ?

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Karl
A big hole doesn't let in any more air than a small one when the air
can't get out easily. One or two Europas have small inlets and AFAIK
they cool just as well
graham

Karl Heindl wrote:

Quote:
- What I would like is a variable opening at the bottom of the cowl
with a louvred door. Open it wide when climbing, scooping in masses of
air when drag is not an issue, and close it in the cruise.

Karl

> From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>
> To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Oil cooler thermostat
> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:48:48 +0100
>

> <Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>
>
> Svein and all,
>
>> From that perspective baffles/part-covers in front of the coolers
>> would be better, especially if I could make them in-flight
>> adjustable (which I can if I wish). The issue is how best to arrange
>> it.
> It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
> Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we
> need to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to
> flow across the rad core.
> A carefully designed diffuser is key.
> Having a large hole with partly covered radiators inside, is like
> having a deployed air-brake.
>
> And we don't need a permanent air-brake, do we ?
>
> Regards,
> Gilles Thesee
> Grenoble, France
> http://contrails.free.fr

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Quote:
It is best to place a flap at the exit of the cowl/radiator duct.
Placing an obstruction in the front destroys dynamic pressure. An we

need to recover as much pressure as we can to persuade the air to flow
across the rad core.<

For what its worth I tried a cooler flap at the rear of the radiators.
With it fully closed it cut off nearly all the airflow and it made
little difference to the CHT and oil temperatures.

When I was at Vichy this year I met one of our French owners (sorry I
forgot his name). He has a very clever inlet cowl flap. It is part of
the lower cowl in front of the radiators and has a hinge at the rear of
it. In very hot weather it is lowered below the normal cowl allowing
more cooling air in. In cold weather it is raised impeding airflow to
the radiators. This is all controlled from the cockpit so that inflight
adjustments can be made. From what he told me it works very well.

I appreciate that normally control of cooling air is best done at the
outlet but in this case it seems it is better to use the inlet.

Nigel Charles

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Hi! Nigel/all
My two pennyworth .....I also tried a cowl exit flap but not to close off. My Jabiru cooling system of course was ALL air cooled and the theory ventured by the Jab dealer and Factory was to extend it into the air stream and create a low pressure area aft of the cooling exit to suck out the hot air..... needless to say it made no improvement whatever. However what I did find was that it was important to maintain top cowl pressure high to promote the mass down flow of air past the engine, I even collected my cabin heating air(when not being used for purpose) and dumped it in the cowl top which also assisted. Since all the high pressure oil cooling air was directed under the sump cooling fins(Rotax oil and water cooling likewise) to leave it "floating" in the lower cowl restrained the downward flow of engine cooling air.
You may ask why am I "rabbitting on" about damn Jabiru's ?.... so to my question:-

What purpose do the Europa "Gills" serve?
Has anyone flown with them blocked off to check the effects?

As it happens, against most advice, I have decided to fit an intercooler on my 914 Turbo which of course has a huge discharge of warm air mostly into the top cowling and I’m not sure it’s the right philosophy to let it exit out the “gills”, with my Jabiru experiences I’m suggesting that to increase the down flow of air, even with water and oil cooling on the engine, it would be best maintaining the top cowl pressure.
I never had any top cowl exits on my Jabiru set up ...all air was discharged out the lower cowl exit plus the lower cowl was "jacked" off the fuselage by approx 1" increasing the discharge annulus considerably.
Any help with these questions would be gratefully received.
I also would have liked to have the Rotax oil flow to its cooler selectable and/or meterable which I achieved on the Jabiru by a hand control valve operated from the P1 Position allowing most flying to be accomplished without the cooler being in circuit. The resultant warm air (even with no oil circulating though the cooler) was a primary source of cabin heat and with the oil cooler in full flow I could fry the passenger, I get the feeling that a number of Europa Rotax owners would dearly like such a facility !

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG (Still prepared to learn!)

josok-e(at)ukolo.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Hi Svein,

I have been quit and waiting for somebody else to show his wisdom. It does
not come so i'll jump in with our solution
here in Finland. It does away with the oil cooler completely and
introduces an oil/water heat exchanger. That together with a water
thermostat should keep the temps up. And because the waer temp raises
quicker, it will heat the oil. It also adds an electrical water heater, so
that the whole engine will be warm before start. The idea is from the
Finnish rotax agent. The website is http://www.aerotecno.fi

As far as i know this has not been flight tested, but the numbers seem to
add up. In a hot summer the trouble spot could be the water radiator,
because it will have to be able to absorb the heat energy of the oil too.
But then again, if the original design, with the water and oil coolers in
the same airstream works, there is no real difference. Or even better,
because the airstream through the water radiator is not restricted by the
oil cooler anymore. W'll see in half a year or so.. I've got some pictures
somewhere if needed.

Plans are to add a flap in the cooling duct, but as a beginner i do not
want more workload in the cockpit. Later,maybe.

--
Kind Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

workshopcam http://www.okhuijsen.org/plane
http:www.europaowners.org/kit600
mono xs, top on, gear in, tail wheel in, wings set, flapdrive in, tail
closed, tailwheel in, tail top in, blue stuff filled, sanded and primed,
fuel system in, doors done, windows in, sanding and filling the fuse and
wings.

raimo.toivio(at)rwm.fi
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Oil cooler thermostat Reply with quote

Yes - I confirm:

ALL the Finnish Europas have
water thermostat, water-oil exchanger
and electric water heater as Jos wrote.

Some months ago I listed the benefits
of the electric water heater.

ALL water cooled engines should also
have water thermostat. That is a matter
of course in cars - why not in planes
with water cooled engines also?

I think most water cooled aviation diesels
have thermostats.

Reasons are about same when using
electric heater before cold starting:

- reduces engine wear = money to your pocket
- reduces fuel consumption = money to your pocket
- increases the power of cabin heater = safety and convenience
- reduces pollution = you have a place where to fly

All the engines burning fuel love to operate in
certain fixed temperature and also like to achieve
that temperature asap. One of the main benefit of
water cooling is it´s easy and automatic adjustable
temperature control by thermostat.

I have heard some Rotax-users in Sweden use same
combination and are happy. So will we, Jos and me!

Se on moro, Raimo
==============
Raimo M W Toivio

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417
OH-CVK C172 Skyhawk
OH-BLL Beechcraft C45 w radial engines (grounded)

37500 Lempaala
Finland
tel + 358 3 3753 777
fax + 358 3 3753 100