Cabin heat

brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Hi,

Three of us are just acquiring a trigear XS which has a Jabiru 3300 engine.
It doesn't have any cabin heat and so is a bit parky!

I have looked on the Europa club abd manufacturer's website but can't find
any details on cabin heat.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brian

(almost G-BYFG)

Ivor Phillips

Location: London UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Speak to Bob Harrison he has a heating system that works very well on a
jabiru powered Europa ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Subject: Cabin heat

Hi,

Three of us are just acquiring a trigear XS which has a Jabiru 3300 engine.
It doesn't have any cabin heat and so is a bit parky!

I have looked on the Europa club abd manufacturer's website but can't find
any details on cabin heat.

Can anyone help?

Regards
Ivor

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

I divert the hot air off the back of my oil cooler and get ridiculous
amounts of
heat. I have a simple rectangular box behind the oil cooler that has a
cockpit
adjustable slide that will either dump all the hot air overboard if its open
or
divert all the air into the Europa defroster vent. Works great. I have an
external
NACA inlet with a Scat hose to the front side of the oil cooler so there is
no air from the
engine compartment entering the oil cooler.

Glenn

Quote:
From: <brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:21:52 -0000

Hi,

Three of us are just acquiring a trigear XS which has a Jabiru 3300 engine.
It doesn't have any cabin heat and so is a bit parky!

I have looked on the Europa club abd manufacturer's website but can't find
any details on cabin heat.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brian

(almost G-BYFG)

96victor(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Hi Brian

I have a mono with a Jab 3300. I used a separate NACA duct to take air to a control box. From there it can be switched to supply freash air to the cockpit or air to a muff on the muffler where it is heated. From there it either goes to the air box/filter or to the cockpit or some of both.

I am not flying yet but ground running it seems to work fine.

Tom

On 11/3/06, brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk (brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk) <brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk (brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk)> wrote: [quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: <brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk (brian.lonnon(at)tiscali.co.uk)>

Hi,

Three of us are just acquiring a trigear XS which has a Jabiru 3300 engine.
It doesn't have any cabin heat and so is a bit parky!

I have looked on the Europa club abd manufacturer's website but can't find

[b]

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Hi! Tom
I do hope you have a reliable carbon monoxide alert ? I wouldn’t trust a Jabiru welded muffler?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison

I have a mono with a Jab 3300. I used a separate NACA duct to take air to a control box. From there it can be switched to supply freash air to the cockpit or air to a muff on the muffler where it is heated. From there it either goes to the air box/filter or to the cockpit or some of both.

I am not flying yet but ground running it seems to work fine.

Tom
<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]> [quote] [b]

96victor(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Thanks, I do. 30 minutes of ground running showed no CO and with my cowl flap, no high temps.

Tom

On 11/3/06, R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk (ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk)> wrote: [quote]
Hi! Tom
I do hope you have a reliable carbon monoxide alert ? I wouldn't trust a Jabiru welded muffler?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-P TAG

Robt.C.Harrison

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Tom
it's cracks in the system after many hours in flight that will be the
problem. 1/2 an hour is nothing. Vibration and rapid heating/cooling are
the dangers.
Graham

<mailto:ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk>> wrote:

Hi! Tom

I do hope you have a reliable carbon monoxide alert ? I wouldn't
trust a Jabiru welded muffler?

96victor(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Thanks Graham

You are the sage and have given years of great advice. Thanks.

I had the inlet and outlet welds on the muffler redone. My CO monitor will be on always. As as a physician, I am most aware of the insidious problems with CO.

I have flown for 50 years, all in air cooled engines and none with other kinds of heat.... I am still flying. (Oops, I don't where the heat from the redial engines came from, maybe from the oil coolers?)

On the Jab, what are the alternatives? Lots of underwear? Electical? Gas burners with their own problems? I am happy with my setup.

Tom

On 11/3/06, Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com (grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com)> wrote: [quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: Graham Singleton < grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com (grahamsingleton(at)btinternet.com)>

Tom Friedland wrote:

Quote:
Hi Bob

Thanks, I do. 30 minutes of ground running showed no CO and with my
cowl flap, no high temps.

Tom
On 11/3/06, * R.C.Harrison* <ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk (ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk)
<mailto:ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk (ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk)>> wrote:

Hi! Tom

[b]

robert.hitchcock(at)virgi
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Have a heater, never needed it. I just wear a dashing leather jacket

Regards

Bob

grahamsingleton(at)btinte
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Tom
thanks for the compliment but never forget, I'm not always right, :-[
I find it hard to believe that the Jab doesn't need an oil cooler and
that's what I would be tempted to use. Otherwise go with an exhaust
muffler and an electronic CO monitor, as you syggest, but not one of the
cheap brown dot things. Wouldn't trust one of those.
Graham

Tom Friedland wrote:

Quote:
Thanks Graham

You are the sage and have given years of great advice. Thanks.

I had the inlet and outlet welds on the muffler redone. My CO monitor
will be on always. As as a physician, I am most aware of the
insidious problems with CO.

I have flown for 50 years, all in air cooled engines and none with
other kinds of heat.... I am still flying. (Oops, I don't where the
heat from the redial engines came from, maybe from the oil coolers?)

On the Jab, what are the alternatives? Lots of underwear?
Electical? Gas burners with their own problems? I am happy with my
setup.

*
*

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Cabin heat Reply with quote

Hi all,

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the Jab doesn't need an oil cooler and
that's what I would be tempted to use. Otherwise go with an exhaust
muffler and an electronic CO monitor,

Our kit manufacturer developped a double walled heat muff for the Jabiru
exhaust. The probability for cracks to develop in the two walls at the
same time is small.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France