Help Required from our American Friends

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Hi Guys

The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished glider wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your wonderful FAA. I have just been informed that they will not allow an experimental aircraft built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace. There suggestion was to completely dismantle the aircraft and have it rebuilt in America of at least 51% of it. Obviously this is a ridiculous suggestion. Surely there must be a way for me to import the aircraft? All suggestions and assistance would be appreciated as we plan to move to Florida for the winters and I want to bring my aircraft with me if at all possible.
Many Thanks

Alan

gcrowder2

Location: Golden, Colorado USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

We're the Friendly Aviation Authority and we're here to help you!
Quote:
From: "Alan Burrows" <alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Help Required from our American Friends
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:37:02 -0000

Hi Guys

The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished glider
wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your wonderful FAA. I
have just been informed that they will not allow an experimental aircraft
built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace. There suggestion was to completely
dismantle the aircraft and have it rebuilt in America of at least 51% of
it.
Obviously this is a ridiculous suggestion. Surely there must be a way for
me
to import the aircraft? All suggestions and assistance would be appreciated
as we plan to move to Florida for the winters and I want to bring my
aircraft with me if at all possible.

Many Thanks

Alan

trip!
http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline

asarangan(at)YAHOO.COM
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

I would be careful about who you are getting these answers from.
Different FSDO offices are notorious for interpreting rules
differently. Ask them to cite the FAR where this requirement is spelled
out. Check the regs for yourself. They are all available online. If the
FAR is vague, call EAA or contact an office higher up the chain,
perhaps an office in Washington, DC.

I am not aware of any regulation that says the 51% must be performed
within the U.S. As far as I know, the only requirement is that the
aircraft must be inspected by a FAA authorized inspector. Does the fact
that your aircraft is already registered in a foreign country prevent
you from registering it in the U.S? I doubt it, but unless someone can
show you where it says you can't, you have to assume that you can.
--- Alan Burrows <alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com> wrote:

[...]

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org

96victor(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

On 11/1/06, Andrew Sarangan <asarangan(at)yahoo.com (asarangan(at)yahoo.com)> wrote: [quote]--> Europa-List message posted by: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan(at)yahoo.com (asarangan(at)yahoo.com)>

--- Alan Burrows <alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com (alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com)> wrote:

[...]

Something is screwy. There are lots of experimental aircraft that are built in other countries and fly in the USA. In fact, Thomas (last name excapes me) that flew around the world in his Europa is presently flying in California and it was built in Germany! As Andrew said, check with another FSDO. If you continue to have trouble, I will try to help by contacting some here.

Tom Friedland, XS Mono, Washington State.

fklein(at)orcasonline.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Thomas Sherer would be a logical source of information regarding this
issue.

Thomas?

Fred
A194

On Wednesday, November 1, 2006, at 02:37 PM, Alan Burrows wrote:

Quote:
Hi Guys

The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished
glider wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your
wonderful FAA. I have just been informed that they will not allow an
experimental aircraft built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace. There
suggestion was to completely dismantle the aircraft and have it
rebuilt in America of at least 51% of it. Obviously this is a
ridiculous suggestion. Surely there must be a way for me to import the
aircraft? All suggestions and assistance would be appreciated as we
plan to move to Florida for the winters and I want to bring my
aircraft with me if at all possible.

Many Thanks

Alan

scrimm

Location: Gilbert, SC SC99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

This is complete BS. There is not a restriction to keep an aircraft
registered in an ICAO country from flying in US airspace. I remember
reading where a Europa was put on the boat on it's trailer, shipped to the
US hauled to an airport, assembled and it flew over here all summer.

They can't restrict an aircraft certified by another international approving
authority from flying in the US. If you were to fly here they can't stop
you. The same thing that they didn't question Thomas's trips around the
world in his US registered EXPERIMENTAL aircraft. Same rule applies.

Steve
Give them hell

Steve Crimm
N42AH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SPurpura(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

THE FAA CAN BE VERY ANAL,TRY ANOTHER FSDO. [quote][b]

europa flugzeug fabrik

Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

alan(at)kestrel-insurance wrote:
...have been dealt a severe blow by your wonderful FAA. I have just been informed that they will not allow an experimental aircraft built abroad to fly in U.S. airspace.

Will this be a temporary visit? Is it foreign registered? If yes to both, just fly the airplane here. There’s foreign registered aircraft which fly here all the time. ATC doesn’t give a hoot, and controllers don’t know the fine points of rules which don’t concern them, nor care. I just looked at the Regs, and I’m confused. If there’s a rule which says a foreign, amateur-built A/C must be N# registered (verses registration as an import of a production A/C, retaining its foreign registration and markings), I can’t find it yet.

Fred F.

europa flugzeug fabrik

Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

scrimm wrote:
This is complete BS. There is not a restriction to keep an aircraft registered in an ICAO country from flying in US airspace.

That be true, but their response was only partial BS. Disassembling the A/C (as if we could do so to a composite design) and reassembling it would _not_ meet the 51% rule. A foreign homebuilt appears to be in Regulatory limbo for basing here permanently.

What I get from the Regs is the restriction is to prevent construction of A/C in a foreign country under their amateur-built rules and then export for sale here, retaining foreign registration. There would be airplanes manufactured by forced child labor in Bangladesh, if that gov’t didn’t care if their amateur-built rules were being cheated.

Ironically, we do have a new rule sort of like that. Light sport aircraft. Most of the ones for sale here are manufactured in foreign countries, not quite Bangladesh or Namibia...yet. The manufacturer need merely certify on a simple form they send FAA that the aircraft complies with industry standards. N# registered here like anything else.

Fred F.

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Alan,

If you are only in Florida for the winters why do you want to keep the
Europa there for the whole year ? You can fly it on the G registration, and
take it back home in the spring. Car ferries operate frequently between
Southampton and East Coast ports, including Florida, and their shipping
rates are quite reasonable. And unless you happen to have free storage for
the motorglider, you would save a lot on hangarage charges.

Karl
Quote:

Hi Guys

The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished glider
wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your wonderful FAA. I
have just been informed that they will not allow an experimental aircraft
built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace. There suggestion was to completely
dismantle the aircraft and have it rebuilt in America of at least 51% of
it.
Obviously this is a ridiculous suggestion. Surely there must be a way for
me
to import the aircraft? All suggestions and assistance would be appreciated
as we plan to move to Florida for the winters and I want to bring my
aircraft with me if at all possible.

Many Thanks

Alan

steven.pitt2(at)ntlworld.
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Alan
When you do get an answer to your question please let me know as I was hoping to do the very same thing in years to come.
BTW what about the transport costs to the US. Do you have any figures?
Steve Pitt

rowil(at)clara.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

At 2006-11-01 22:37 +0000 Alan Burrows wrote:

Quote:
The grand plan to transport my trigear(complete with newly finished
glider wings) to the U.S. have been dealt a severe blow by your
wonderful FAA. I have just been informed that they will not allow an
experimental aircraft built abroard to fly in U.S. airspace

Alan - you should probably talk with James or Hugh McDiarmid (father
or son, I can't remember which is which now) who took G-BWRO to USA
for an extended period some time ago. The aircraft is with another
owner John Holt now, but James or Hugh might be able to offer some
advice. See old copies of the Club member list for their contact
details.

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson (former Europa Club Membership Secretary)
| e-mail <rowil(at)clara.net>

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Hi Fred

Yes it's British registered and I am hoping to keep it in the U.S. permanently, I am happy to move it to the N register if that helps as we will be living at Spruce Creek airpark in Florida for the winters. I am told that the rules covering experimental aircraft are different to those governing certified aircraft, but I can't find anyone who actually knows. Just the FAA guy who says NO..!
Any help you can offer would be great.
Kind Regards

Alan

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Karl

I do have free storage I live on Spruce Creek airpark in Florida and
presently have a large EMPTY hanger just waiting for my aircraft, but your
idea of just having it there for part of the year is interesting. I am told
that I can't have in the U.S. at all..!
Do you know anything different to that? Bear in mind it's an experimental
aircraft not a certified one, therefore the rules are different.

Alan

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Hi Steve
I found a company that specialized in transporting aircraft and the cost is about 2k or in my case about 2.5k as I need a 40ft container due to the length of the glider wings.
Hope you are well and look forward to seeing you at Sun n Fun next year?
All the Best

Alan

When you do get an answer to your question please let me know as I was hoping to do the very same thing in years to come.

BTW what about the transport costs to the US. Do you have any figures?

Steve Pitt
Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5

alan(at)kestrel-insurance
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Hi Roland

I don't have access to the old membership lists do I? Any chance you can get
me an email address for them please.
Kind Regards

Alan

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Alan,

There is an article in issue 26 of the Europa Aircraft News (4 1/2 pages) by
James McDairmid, who took his G-BWRO to the States and flew it there for a
year. There is no indication of any restriction flying the foreign
registered aircraft.
The car ferry is probably of no interest to you, unless you have a trailer,
but it is the easiest and cheapest way to transport a Europa to anywhere in
the world.

Karl

[quote]From: "Alan Burrows" <alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com>
To: <europa-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 14:33:46 -0000

<alan(at)kestrel-insurance.com>

Hi Roland

I don't have access to the old membership lists do I? Any chance you can
get
me an email address for them please.
Kind Regards

Alan

paul.mcallister

Location: Waukesha, WI USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

Alan

I just got off the phone with "Joe" from the EAA in Oshkosh. It sounds like bringing experimental aircraft from the UK has been done plenty of times before. In general terms the process is.

1. The aircraft is first de registered in the UK. I am not sure if you are asked to provide proof of this or not.

2. You then apply for registration with the FAA. It must be registered with a legal entity that the FAA can use, for example a US citizen, permanent resident, or a holding company.

3. You then need to apply for an airworthiness inspection. This doesn't have to be done by the FAA, a designated inspector is okay. He will be looking for a condition inspection, and proof that it meets the US rules for amateur build aircraft, such as the 51% rule. A builders log would help a lot.

You might have trouble getting a repairmens certificate issued, I know Thomas did, however if your the builder and you can prove it with builders log then I would just ask for one, chances are there won't be a problem.

Hope this helps, Paul

europa flugzeug fabrik

Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: North Coast, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Required from our American Friends Reply with quote

alan(at)kestrel-insurance wrote:
...I am hoping to keep it in the U.S. permanently, I am happy to move it to the N register if that helps as we will be living at Spruce Creek airpark in Florida for the winters.

Alan --

The oral opinion Paul obtained seems to me to clearly support what FAR Part 21 literally says, but I recommend you get it in writing. However, a written one from even a local office manager is not binding upon the agency. Our administrative law on this rule is said to date back to your rather old principle in the UK where “The King can do wrong.” Called "due deference" in our Courts. Deregister in UK and thence fail with a local FAA guy is called legal limbo.

Write to FAA in Washington and ask for a Chief Counsel Opinion, not a Legal Interpretation. If they back it down to an interp, their privilege. See www.faa.gov. State exactly what the situation is and what you propose -- N# registration, and following an FAA inspection and approval, certification as amateur-built. Say she’s on FAA’s presumptive list of 51% kits. Describe your rules and how the PFA is really anal about the dinkiest of mods, so no unapproved ones done. Point out that it’s a motorglider, as a special rule for them. State that one FAA office has advised that you would have to disassemble/reassemble, but that does not meet the 51% rule in the slightest. It makes absolutely no sense to compromise safety in such a bizarre manner -- a perfectly good airplane now under PFA analness. Cite Paul’s offering of contrary advice found, so they know to please cogitate over the question.

There is a possibility they might issue an opinion that won’t work. I worked 30 years for a federal agency, both civil and criminal enforcement, but we didn’t behave quite the way FAA does. On the FAA web site is a database of FAA legal opinions. The vast majority appear very sound, but a few I’ve read are sophomoric in analysis or insulting in tone. It suggests a loosely-structured shop of lawyers who really need the job in high-cost Washington. Unlike many other federal agencies, there’s no future, high six-figure career path for a lawyer in that field.

Briefly in the 70s, I managed the shop which cranked out opinions under President Nixon’s wage/price controls. We called them interpretations, not rulings, as no procedural regulation gave then that status. Unlike FAA’s, ours were appealable, but the hoot was I was the appeals officer. Hence, my subordinates signed them, like FAA’s interps. Around an $8 trillion (in today’s dollars) economy in part managed by fakery. Nobody wanted the job; I applied for the perceived, pure fun of it. It was.

If you wish further help in writing to our FAA, just lemme know via private email. I was a federal bureaucrat once, and how enquirers get treated is what they say. Very little British idiom in your posts, BTW. We can easily work on that! Important also in context here, among other matters.

Fred F.