ANL fuse 60 amp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

My RV-10 has a 60 amp ANL fuse installed right below the shunt for the
ammeterr, The fuse has blown, and I cannot find where I got the fuse 10
years ago. Aircraft Spruce appear to be no help. I know they used to be
common on experimental airplanes.

I have a 60 amp Plane power alternator.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

Those things aren’t really aircraft parts. They’re more for car speakers and things like that. Not that they don’t work fine. I have them in my airplanes too. But you can buy them on Amazon, or eBay. I haven’t even ever looked at them in local stores before, but you might have luck if you have a high and car stereo store around you.
Tim
Quote:
On May 29, 2024, at 5:01 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

My RV-10 has a 60 amp ANL fuse installed right below the shunt for the ammeterr, The fuse has blown, and I cannot find where I got the fuse 10 years ago. Aircraft Spruce appear to be no help. I know they used to be common on experimental airplanes.

I have a 60 amp Plane power alternator.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

That is what I eventually found. Looks like Home Depot can get within a
day or two.

On 5/29/2024 7:02 PM, Tim Olson wrote:
Quote:

Those things aren’t really aircraft parts. They’re more for car speakers and things like that. Not that they don’t work fine. I have them in my airplanes too. But you can buy them on Amazon, or eBay. I haven’t even ever looked at them in local stores before, but you might have luck if you have a high and car stereo store around you.
Tim
> On May 29, 2024, at 5:01 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:
>

> My RV-10 has a 60 amp ANL fuse installed right below the shunt for the ammeterr, The fuse has blown, and I cannot find where I got the fuse 10 years ago. Aircraft Spruce appear to be no help. I know they used to be common on experimental airplanes.
>
> I have a 60 amp Plane power alternator.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

Make sure the connections are tight. A loose connection gets hot and could
cause a fuse to blow. Do you have a lithium battery?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

I'll make sure the connections are tight. I just has an Odyssey AGM battery

Kelly

On 5/29/2024 8:02 PM, user9253 wrote:
Quote:

Make sure the connections are tight. A loose connection gets hot and could
cause a fuse to blow. Do you have a lithium battery?

--------
Joe Gores

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
Dave Saylor

Location: GILROY, CA

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

B&C and SteinAir have them.

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 7:06 PM Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)>

Those things aren’t really aircraft parts. They’re more for car speakers and things like that. Not that they don’t work fine. I have them in my airplanes too. But you can buy them on Amazon, or eBay. I haven’t even ever looked at them in local stores before, but you might have luck if you have a high and car stereo store around you.
Tim

> On May 29, 2024, at 5:01 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
>
> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>
>
> My RV-10 has a 60 amp ANL fuse installed right below the shunt for the ammeterr, The fuse has blown, and I cannot find where I got the fuse 10 years ago. Aircraft Spruce appear to be no help. I know they used to be common on experimental airplanes.
>
> I have a 60 amp Plane power alternator.

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
--Dave
KWVI
jimkale(at)roadrunner.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

Large trucks use those fuses try a large truck shopSent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 29, 2024, at 22:41, Dave Saylor <saylor.dave(at)gmail.com> wrote:

B&C and SteinAir have them.

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 7:06 PM Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)>

Those things aren’t really aircraft parts. They’re more for car speakers and things like that. Not that they don’t work fine. I have them in my airplanes too. But you can buy them on Amazon, or eBay. I haven’t even ever looked at them in local stores before, but you might have luck if you have a high and car stereo store around you.
Tim

> On May 29, 2024, at 5:01 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:
>
> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>
>
> My RV-10 has a 60 amp ANL fuse installed right below the shunt for the ammeterr, The fuse has blown, and I cannot find where I got the fuse 10 years ago. Aircraft Spruce appear to be no help. I know they used to be common on experimental airplanes.
>
> I have a 60 amp Plane power alternator.

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
N1921R

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

If you have Amazon Prime

Search "Blue Sea Systems 5123 ANL Fuse, 60A" within Amazon and select "All Prime"

$21.04

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
John Bright, RV-6A N1921R, working on FWF.
Single battery, alternator on main bus, Monkworkz generator on engine/essential bus.
My links here
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

Read this thread:
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=16778818
Especially the post by Charlie and his picture of fusible links.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:19 am    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

At 10:31 PM 5/29/2024, you wrote:
Quote:
B&C and SteinAir have them.

Those things aren't really aircraft parts. They're more for
car speakers and things like that. Not that they don't work
fine. I have them in my airplanes too.

Not sure there is ANY catalog part, fuses and
limiters included, that you might call an
'aircraft' part. Catalog components become
suited to task for aviation 'cause
they appear on the drawings for a certified
airplane, military vehicle, spacecraft, etc.

The ANL/ANN series devices have been used aboard
aircraft for about 100 years . . . lots of them
scattered about B17's, KingAirs, LearJets and the
like. I introduced them to OBAM aviation a few
decades ago after an abortive decision to try
the JNN series fuses as bolt-on, in-line fuses
for b-lead protection.

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Bussman/JNN_Specs.pdf

Bad idea, these critters didn't have the mechanical\
robustness needed for such service. Plan-B was
the ANL series devices and companion fuse-holders . . .
certainly ROBUST but rather huge for little
airplanes.

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Bussman/ANL_Specs.pdf
http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Bussman/Limiter_FuseBlocks.pdf

Not too many years after that, the major players
in fusible protection (Bussman, Littlefuse, etc)
Brought out some hardened and more attractive
alternatives to the sheet-metal, limiters common
to some European cars. Those are illustrated on
the website as:

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Littlefuse/498.pdf
http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Littlefuse/298.pdf

A visit to about any big automotive parts store
will provide sources for devices cited above
or very similar.

Holders for the modern devices are simple insulating
blocks drilled for fuse/wiring and attachment to the
airframe. I've made many of these things with a table
or band-saw and drill press. Phenolic, Delren, Lexan,
even kitchen cutting boards offer sufficiently
robust, non-conductive material for a base.

The car parts stores, amazon, ebay, et.als. will also
have manufactured holders.

http://aeroelectric.com/Mfgr_Data/Fuses_and_Current_Limiters/Littlefuse/0498-MIDIFuseholder.pdf

But I usually build 'em when I need one.

You could also consider a fusible link. If it were
my airplane, a 6AWG b-lead protected by a 10AWG
fusible link would be an attractive up-grade from
bolt-on current limiters.

The nagging question is, Why did your original
limiter open up? Electrical fault or mechanical
aging? I think I'd jumper across your original
ANL mounting space with a hung of 12AWG wire
and fire up the engine to see how the alternator
is performing. Without seeing the wiring diagram
for your airplane, I'm guessing that the ANL was
for alternator b-lead protection?

Inquiring minds would like to know . . .

Bob . . .

////
(o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
for the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and repeatable experiment.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: ANL fuse 60 amp. Reply with quote

Bob,
I am procuring tomorrow the necessary pieces to test with a fusible link, as I have not found what caused the fuse to blow.
It is 10 years old so age could have been a factor I didn't have the pieces leftover from my build. I will test the system before installing a new fuse.
Kelly

On 5/31/2024 3:19 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours