Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grounding through engine control cables.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
podo3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Grounding through engine control cables. Reply with quote

This excerpt from the Aeroelectric Connection Rev.12, Appendix Z, Note 5 reads:

"Even then, make sure that jackets for engine
controls do not ELECTRICALLY ground both a metal panel
and the engine . . . they can easily become a SECOND
ground path on the wrong side of the airplane and create the
same problems we're striving to eliminate."

Since my control cables touch the engine, firewall, and instrument panel/throttle quadrant, the above statement seems in indicate that I need to insulate them so as not to provide multiple ground paths in addition to the grounding strap I will install from the engine to the firewall mounted grounding post (forest of tabs).

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
user9253

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grounding through engine control cables. Reply with quote

Notice that note 5 begins with, "When the battery and engine are on opposite
ends of the airplane"
Is that the situation in your airplane? What is the make and model of your aircraft?
Engine cables are not insulated from the firewall or instrument panel in hundreds of RV-12s.
Audio cables should only be grounded at one end, especially microphone
cables or other cables that carry signals which will be amplified.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

podo3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Grounding through engine control cables. Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
Notice that note 5 begins with, "When the battery and engine are on opposite
ends of the airplane"
Is that the situation in your airplane? What is the make and model of your aircraft?
Engine cables are not insulated from the firewall or instrument panel in hundreds of RV-12s.
Audio cables should only be grounded at one end, especially microphone
cables or other cables that carry signals which will be amplified.

Thank you, Joe. I'm building a Bearhawk Patrol. I'm using Z11 rev. P for my electrical. I read the statement as opposite sides not "opposite ends". My battery is on the cabin side of the firewall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: