Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re[3]: Tailwind Electrical System Drawing and Power Analys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_tailwind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re[3]: Tailwind Electrical System Drawing and Power Analys Reply with quote

I don't like the key switch. If you turn it off with the engine running it could cause a load dump by disconnecting the alternator from the battery. Use a DPDT key switch to turn off the alternator as well, or I used a momentary key switch in place of a pushbutton for the starter. Not so much for theft protection, but to protect from having some kid (or adult) accidentally engage the starter at Oshkosh.

On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 01:30:30 PM CST, Gerry van Dyk <gerry.vandyk(at)eastlink.ca> wrote:

Hello again all
Peter I'll follow-up here on those couple of points...

I've attached the latest revision to my architecture. Thinking about what you've suggested, separating the main alternator to it's own switch, I've done so, and it cleans up both the drawing and the electrical system quite a bit. Effectively what we've done is separate the "battery / alt / DC power" switch shown on the Z13/8 drawing into two. I've got a keyed switch which I want for some basic theft deterrence, and then the main alt switch.

In operation we'll turn on the main bus, which will mean the entire panel will be up. The big consumers will of course be off, pitot heat, exterior lighting, AP servos, boost fuel pump, and the radios will be in passive receive mode. At this point we'd close the ebus / aux alt switch and start the engine. Dynon says this will not bring down the EFIS's so with the EMS operating we should see the aux alternator bump the voltage, I'd flip the switch on and off if need be to see this change. Satisfied that the aux alternator is operating we'll then bring the main alternator online and turn the e-bus / aux alt switch off. Or I may come around on leaving it on for normal operations.

For alternator-out condition: turn the e-bus / aux alt switch on, open the main battery switch, dropping out the battery contactor and therefor the main bus. If the main alt has failed or thrown the belt, it won't matter much if we turn off the main alt switch or not.

What are your thoughts on this layout?  I known I haven't used all your suggestions, I hope you take no offense to it, I think some were moving away from the original Z13/8 philosophy which I do rather agree with.

Best regards
Gerry

----

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: