Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any suggestions for pockets with painted interior?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparigoris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Any suggestions for pockets with painted interior? Reply with quote

Hi Group

Happy Holidays to all!

We're in process of painting interior of our XS Mono.

Any suggestions for install of desirable pockets or pouches?

Thx.
Ron P.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
DuaneFamly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Any suggestions for pockets with painted interior? Reply with quote

With fabric on all my walls, I have added two pockets, one at each knee level, for each seat position. Large enough for charts, checklists, small notepads, and cellphones.
Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Monday, December 18, 2023, 11:07 AM, rparigoris <rparigor(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "rparigoris" <rparigor(at)hotmail.com (rparigor(at)hotmail.com)>

Hi Group

Happy Holidays to all!

We're in process of painting interior of our XS Mono.

Any suggestions for install of desirable pockets or pouches?

Thx.

Ron P.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=512803#512803

http://www.matr=================

http://wiki.matronics.com<====================

https://mat====

Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rparigoris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any suggestions for pockets with painted interior? Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thx. for reply. You by chance have a pic? Where did you buy from? Ron

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Any suggestions for pockets with painted interior? Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
It is always prudent to design in storage for a small cockpit.
With a mono, a map case is very difficult but there are ways around it.

A pocket can be made by simply laying up three to four layers of glass to make a roughly conformal plate for your center tunnel or fuselage side pocket area. I would make a two layer and trap fabric between each glass layer then glue it together and mount it. The stitching in of a pocket to the glass after painting and fussing over the attachment (glue works best) is always a test of your craftsmanship. Never use a fastener that extends into the cockpit near your legs as in the event of an accident it can rip you wide open. Keep the inside pockets and other doo dads clear of your body parts. I personally don’t make hard fiberglass pockets or slots because of leg interference also.

The same sewn pocket can be done with the instrument panel top surface. Of course, that is a matter of taste, but a couple of slots in a molded or fabric piece across the glare shield can be useful and very easy to grab in flight. Be sure to add grommets to secure the thing from sliding around. (Nothing is quick and fast.)

Other things to plan (which I think you have already done):

Make a spot out of plexiglass for your registration (as it must be displayed) I put mine behind the pilot on the fuselage. On other aircraft I put it on the fuel neck cover.
Although the headrests are open many times, they are not good for charts or even good access.

I fly with chart backup when flying cross country and my map case comes in handy, but for your mono it’s a bit too hard to do that.

In the early F-4 and A-7 our parachute shops made a leather panel top cover with two pockets just map sized that fastened on the instrument glare shield for the maps as there was no storage for the pilot other than our G suit. On later models they did away with this for some reason. Probably because we wore G suits, and they made the pockets larger for just this sort of thing.

Today we have cargo pants and some of these pants have large pockets on the lower leg. ( I’ve even seen some vests that are quite good looking and may be useful but too hot to wear for Florida.) These cargo pants pockets were handy for me for quick in-flight map grabs from my G suit but in Florida I wear shorts 10 months out of the year so pockets in the plane cockpit on the tunnel was necessary for me. I keep my checklist there with spare pencils and paper if needed. Although I have the capability for putting the checklist in my EFIS and Phone, I find using the electronic checklist to be tedious.
Even with a painted cockpit, it is not cost prohibitive to have an upholsterer make a cover for your center console sides and put in pockets. Lay it out in paper for him because the XS cockpit is rather odd shaped, and he can pattern from that. It won’t be cheap, but with a couple of grommets or simply fabric glue (3M 77 or similar strong contact cement) it will stick the saddle type cover on for years and be handy..

I got tired of the scratches in my tray on the pax side because guys would throw their keys and other pocket contents into the tray area scratching it all up. That was a pain. I ended up molding in an insert to make it easy to keep nice looking. I also put in a pylon with a Ram mount for holding phones/iPad etc. Maybe I should have made the tray with some fabric so I wouldn’t have to repaint it. (Later!)

Since maps are now so passe, and we have electronic doo dads to fly with, I made a phone holder for the console to keep my android phone with my mapping program, and other info.  Anything else I need to fly with or consult for planning is in my phone (except my checklist). Many use a small tablet or iPad mini for this also. I have files on the phone for everything: Mx mapping program (Avare), Flight Planning info and prep, plus all the repair manuals, personal medical, insurance, registration, my custom repair and mx items specific to my plane, my building info (panel wiring, engine mx, mods, and field repair info just in case) and all of it in the tablet/phone so stuff in the cockpit is now cut down to where even I fly in a near paperless cockpit. (Although I still have a kneeboard, pencil, and paper on my leg as I don't go heads down to punch buttons or try to select/deselect on computers which I think is really annoying while flying. As you have seen, I have a personal Europa checklist to fly with that is laminated and a cockpit pocket to keep handy is a necessity for me.)

Keep in mind, any tablet will suck your head and hands away from job 1 of flying the plane which means getting you off course, altitude and perhaps even in an unusual attitude when inputting or searching for data. Without an autopilot I find these cockpit devices actually add to the cockpit workload. Plus, with my CRS, I have to look at the NAV computer manual to figure out how to put in that dammed extra nav point while flying. I’ve had to add the procedure to my in-flight checklist. (That is when grabbing the chart and finger plotting a basic heading is nice (VFR Flying of course)). To remedy that CRS issue, I should fly cross country more also.

Enjoy your building,

Bud Yerly

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: