Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New kid on the block in automatic chargers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: New kid on the block in automatic chargers Reply with quote

At 10:10 PM 9/13/2023, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: westmeath(at)rcn.com

Thanks for the link. Yes, I have the exact same charger but with different results from others.

I tried charging a motorcycle battery (with the "motorcycle" setting) and it attempted to boil away the electrolyte.

If you can see bubbling, are we talking about a flooded
lead-acid battery?

Quote:
I tried charging a 12V deep cycle battery that still had enough power to get the solenoids for a pump to click. I was watching the display and it jumped to 28V. Over the course of a minute or two the voltage didn't come down and I started to smell battery acid.

ANY TIME YOU GET SMELLS/BUBBLES/VISIBLE LIQUID during
a charge operation, something is seriously wrong. Unplug
charger first, disconnect later, measure open circuit
voltage after things settle down.

Quote:
I ended up charging the deep cycle battery with a regular charger. After the regular charger had dropped to a low charge rate,

Do you know what the battery voltage was at 'end of charge'?
What brand and model of the 'regular' charger?

Quote:
I disconnected it and connected the Yonhan charger and put it into pulse repair mode. A couple of previous
lister's comments mentioned the short cables and the spark when the charger was connected. I had the
battery on the floor and the charger on top of it due to cable length issues. I disconnected one of the
leads from the charger to the battery to check the battery voltage. When I reconnected the lead to
the battery, the battery exploded and blew out one side and part of the top. My ears were ringing
for the next 20 minutes from the blast.

I'm so glad you were not seriously injured!

I've had occasion to use and gather data on three of those
chargers two of which are now in the hands of clients.
One is on my bench.

We don't have enough data to offer a reasonable analysis
of what you experienced. I've plotted the behavior
of the yonhan charger in the 'pulse mode' and I'm
preparing a report along with voltage plots which
will come in a day or so.

I was off line in Oregon for a couple of weeks and
then it took a week to get back in gear when I got
home!

In the mean time, can you give us a history of the
two batteries you cited and a description of the
'standard' charger?

Bob . . .

////
(o o)
===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
< Go ahead, make my day . . . >
< show me where I'm wrong. >
=================================

In the interest of creative evolution
of the-best-we-know-how-to-do based
on physics and good practice.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: New kid on the block in automatic chargers Reply with quote

westmeath,
Can you give us a timeline of the events described above?
How much time had passed since the battery was bubbling and the spark that caused the explosion?
This is scary stuff. The same thing happened to my dad some 50 years ago with some truck batteries that were part of a test bench. These were big flooded-cell batteries and electrolyte spilled out all over the shop floor. Yet another good reason to wear eye protection when working with batteries.
-Jeff

On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 05:40:55 PM PDT, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Yes, I have the exact same charger but with different results from others.

I tried charging a motorcycle battery (with the "motorcycle" setting) and it attempted to boil away the electrolyte.

lead-acid battery?

Quote:
I tried charging a 12V deep cycle battery that still had enough power to get the solenoids for a pump to click. I was watching the display and it jumped to 28V. Over the course of a minute or two the voltage didn't come down and I started to smell battery acid.

Quote:
I ended up charging the deep cycle battery with a regular charger. After the regular charger had dropped to a low charge rate,

Quote:
I disconnected it and connected the Yonhan charger and put it into pulse repair mode. A couple of previous
lister's comments mentioned the short cables and the spark when the charger was connected. I had the
battery on the floor and the charger on top of it due to cable length issues. I disconnected one of the
leads from the charger to the battery to check the battery voltage. When I reconnected the lead to
the battery, the battery exploded and blew out one side and part of the top. My ears were ringing

One is on my bench.

home!

'standard' charger?

Bob . . .

////
(o o)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: New kid on the block in automatic chargers Reply with quote

Bob,
It seems as though you sent me the original posting, which is what I was responding to... not sure why ????
I'm curious about how long between the batteries bubbling due to over-charging and the spark which induced the explosion. How many minutes between the two events? How much time was there to allow the hydrogen to dissipate. Obviously not long enough, but I would like to know how long.
-Jeff

On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 07:13:55 PM PDT, Jeff Luckey <jluckey(at)pacbell.net> wrote:

westmeath,
Can you give us a timeline of the events described above?
How much time had passed since the battery was bubbling and the spark that caused the explosion?
This is scary stuff. The same thing happened to my dad some 50 years ago with some truck batteries that were part of a test bench. These were big flooded-cell batteries and electrolyte spilled out all over the shop floor. Yet another good reason to wear eye protection when working with batteries.
-Jeff

On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 05:40:55 PM PDT, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:

Quote:

lead-acid battery?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One is on my bench.

home!

'standard' charger?

Bob . . .

////
(o o)

racerjerry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: New kid on the block in automatic chargers Reply with quote

My favorite trick for limiting the charging rate on small motorcycle type lead-acid batteries is to connect the charger in series with an old automotive ignition coil ballast resistor. These resistors were used long ago before fuel injection and electronic ignition became commonplace; but I see that they are still available as an aftermarket item.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: