Canopy gas strut Specifications

MEE

Joined: 26 Sep 2020

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Canopy gas strut Specifications Reply with quote

Anyone know the specifications of the Canopy gas struts?
In particular their pressure rating.
I need to replace both.

Ian McClelland
15 Harvard Road
Burleigh
Blenheim 7201
NewZealand
027 389 2173

Ian McClelland
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Canopy gas strut Specifications Reply with quote

Hi Ian,I take my struts to Strut Power here in Christchurch. He will test them first for faulty seals and then re-gas them to the required pressure. I haven’t had to buy new ones yet.
Cheers, Tim

Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 5/07/2023, at 8:32 PM, macstar1224(at)gmail.com wrote:

(at)font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; } (at)font-face { font-family: Calibri; } p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; } span.EmailStyle17 { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: windowtext; } .MsoChpDefault { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; } (at)page WordSection1 { size: 612pt 792pt; margin: 72pt; } div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Anyone know the specifications of the Canopy gas struts?
In particular their pressure rating.
I need to replace both.

Ian McClelland
15 Harvard Road
Burleigh
Blenheim 7201
NewZealand
027 389 2173

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Canopy gas strut Specifications Reply with quote

Providing you have done Mod 66>

I had LST struts in Canada make me replacements for my customers in case Europa couldn’t supply replacements.
The struts are 110-300mm with 25 newton pressure for me and my customers.
None of my customers have mechanical door openers or extra latches but do have door locks, vent windows and the like making the doors heavier.

Heavy doors (big pull handles, door locks, extra latches small vent door in the window), I prefer 25 newtons.
Light doors pressure is a minimum of 20 newtons. Most of my clients prefer the 25 newtons, even for the light doors, as the wind doesn’t blow the doors closed.
Expect gas spring struts to last about 10 years before they start to sag. Get them pumped up at 10 years and go fly.

I’m out of the shop this morning but I still have a couple struts in stock. If the pressure drops on these LST shocks, I send them back to the manufacturer via post and get them refurbished. Cheap insurance.
I also keep a spare set.
As for options: I prefer the locking metal strut end for the 8 mm ball.
If you have a shop down under that services struts don’t go past 25 newtons on the Europa strut or a 25 year old strut or you may blow it out.
If you go to an auto-parts store to replace your struts, be sure they fit exactly or move your posts as the Europa is not a real common size. Too short and the door doesn’t open wide enough. Too long and the door doesn’t close.

If you haven’t moved your struts to the Mod 66 position, it is highly recommended.

Just my experience.
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations