Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

914 Air Filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: 914 Air Filter Reply with quote

I'm replacing my 20 year old 914 with a new 914 purchased from Leading Edge Airfoils. I want to replace the 20 year old K&N air filter too.

I purchased a new air filter from Leading Edge, Rotax P/N 825-750 which is a K&N P/N RU0800. The problem is that the flange of the turbo measures 2.35 inch (60 mm) diameter and the diameter of the filter measures 2.44 inch (62 mm) diameter. The flange of the filter is not very flexible and I am concerned that tightening it to fit will be a problem.

I have searched K&N's website and do not find a filter with the correct flange diameter. My old K&N filter fits properly but does not have a part number on it.

What air filters do others use on 914?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: 914 Air Filter Reply with quote

Jim,
That is standard for K&N. You should see a series of about 5 small rings in the filter opening which are a quarter a mm high so not much to assist in clamping. The filter will smoothly clamp down. When the oil soaks the filter neck (which is normal) the filter will simply slide off because the clamp supplied tends to loosen and nobody safety wires the clamp. So here is some suggestions:

Some consider using heat shrink or thin metal ring of 0.016 to .0625 to compensate. I don't, but the size difference and filter looseness is the reason the book has a warning that all items of the air inlet have to be secured against loss. I have been installing safety wire to prevent it from slipping off.
Photos are attached on how I've done it the last 20 years. Note I use the K&N RU1750 with the 20 degree angle back as it clears my cowl inlet better. I have two springs rather than just safety wire for a quick and easy removal for cleaning. One piece of wire is all that is needed. I loop wire round the turbo, then spin it and bring it through a hole and make a loop for the spring. The filter has two small holes and 25 thou safety wire through the black plastic between the pleats then around and out a hole opposite to it for two or simply do one loop through the filter.

This year I am modifying my filter further for oil collection of oil dripping out of the turbo into the filter (yea, I know, who cares about that oil drip). The air filter has a 1/8 inch barb to flow the oil into one of my catch cans. I know, overkill. It's because I hate that small amount of turbo seal oil soaking the filter because I let the plane sit so long.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Air_Filter_Modification.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.49 KB
 Viewed:  2061 Time(s)

Air_Filter_Modification.png

air_inlet_duct.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.43 MB
 Viewed:  2061 Time(s)

air_inlet_duct.jpg

h&jeuropa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Air Filter Reply with quote

I have determined that K&N RU0600 air filter fits a 914 turbo inlet properly.

The turbo inlet measures 2.35” (59.69mm).

Rotax specifies P/N 825750. The illustrated parts manual shows filter ID is 2.44” (62mm), filter media height is 3.94” (100mm) and media diameter is 3.54” (90mm). I purchased this filter and received a K&N RU0800 filter, with the Rotax part number on the box. Indeed K&N website confirms the above dimensions.

The inlet diameter is too large. If you tighten the clamp enough to secure the filter, the filter is forced off the turbo.

K&N states “All filters are constructed with ultra-strong molded pliable rubber flanges which absorb vibration and allow for secure attachment and can also be stretched for up to 1/16 of an inch (1.5mm) to fit in-between sizes.”

RU0600 is listed with ID 2.25” (57mm). Media height and diameter are the same as RU0800.

I purchased RU0600 from a local parts store with hopes that it would stretch and fit. It fits the 914 turbo perfectly! The clamp holds it in place without distortion and does not try to force the filter off the turbo.

I have advised Leading Edge Airfoils of my finding and also filed a report with Rotax.

RU1700 appears to have the same dimension with a 20 deg offset that some need to fit their aircraft.

Jim Butcher

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: 914 Air Filter Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jim,
Even K&N on-line did not show the RU1700 for the Rotax (granted that was 10 years ago).

I'll stick with my 1750 for now but knowledge is power. Thanks for taking the time to research that part number, I'll definitely update my spares list.

Bud Yerly

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: