Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area-51

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

The Speed Kit has been an interesting study and has seen the resolution of our test environment cranked up from medium to fine... as a result solution times have somewhat quadrupled however the real world accuracy is now around 95% as opposed to 90% and earlier results are now superseded from a guidance qualitative level to a more advisory level.

Several variations were examined, being, Clean Plug (baseline), Speed Kit (factory), Partial Kit (outrigger cowl only), Alternative (known custom outrigger cowl only)... Velocity of 51m/s and Attitude of 0deg was used across all tests.

Results: Drag (kg) / Lift (kg)
Clean Plug - 43.7 / 426.1
Speed Kit - 57.2 / 432.9
Partial - 56.3 / 434.2
Alternate - 55.8 / 433.9

Initial shared thoughts regarding the effectiveness of fitting the speed kit were supported using a courser resolution for the above and presented a broad contrast of results of some 8kg of drag in favour of no speed kit being used; so as a qualitative measure the mathematical resolution was pushed until more accurate and stable results were achieved.

The Alternate cowl provides a more streamlined flow and lower Acoustic levels and although the differences are minor, across the entire airframe, every little bit adds up! Having the Clean Plug available as a Baseline Control model provides an additional perspective toward what is the maximum aerodynamic efficiency of the airframe if freed of all embellishments and features.

The conclusion we can assume on this subject is that the factory Speed Kit consumes speed!

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

67BCBBD7-A4C6-4DF7-AB08-0743CB001A01.jpeg
 Description:
Factory Outrigger Cowl
 Filesize:  73.12 KB
 Viewed:  3242 Time(s)

67BCBBD7-A4C6-4DF7-AB08-0743CB001A01.jpeg

6046451B-B83B-461D-BDC2-A3E2955E7665.jpeg
 Description:
Alternate Outrigger Cowl
 Filesize:  71.15 KB
 Viewed:  3242 Time(s)

6046451B-B83B-461D-BDC2-A3E2955E7665.jpeg

clivesutton

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Area 51 - more excellent illustrations, thanks for the view on the drag caused by the speed kit fairings.

I think from your results, the inference is that the speed kit actually increases drag wrt the 'clean' airframe (Mono) - but maybe i have misinterpreted the meaning of 'clean'?

My main interest is a comparison between the drag for a Mono with no speed kit fairings fitted vs just symmetrical 'pairs' for wing fairings fitted and for individual fairings like the tail-wheel fairing installed.

Regarding your non-linear simulation of the door departure, are you able to generate a short time-step 'movie' sequence that shows what the doors does as it leaves the aircraft? That would be really cool.

Thanks again for your efforts - very enlightening for us all

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Area-51

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Thanks... still too early in the game for time stepped results; very intensive to setup and run...

Definition of Clean Plug pictured below... one with wing root flare, one without

220AAE62-D66E-4327-9B86-D560A69E77C1.jpeg
 Description:
Clean Plug - Control Model
 Filesize:  73.7 KB
 Viewed:  3200 Time(s)

220AAE62-D66E-4327-9B86-D560A69E77C1.jpeg

5D55AA73-173B-4778-90E9-99722F21519D.jpeg
 Description:
Clean Plug - Control Model
 Filesize:  56.85 KB
 Viewed:  3200 Time(s)

5D55AA73-173B-4778-90E9-99722F21519D.jpeg

IanGale

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Really interesting work, thanks so much for publishing. I’m wrestling with the speed kit being most efficient if you don’t fit it! It doesn’t seem logical - the outrigger assembly is not at all aerodynamic whilst the fairing seems to offer an improvement. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on why the results were as they were? At present my speed kit is off and this has made me delay refitting 🙂

Area-51

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Ian its simply a case of Frontal Area Volume; the speed kit being broader than the hinges; changing the overall hinge post shape to fill the operating gap during wing building would likely provide more benefit... The outrigger cover is still beneficial to fit as it allows the free stream air to flow around the mechanism block a bit more cleanly; it also prevents stuff that may cause badness getting into the mechanism... changing the outrigger cover shape to something more sculptured does not provide that much gain on the CFD analysis for the work involved; but it certainly can look the goods!

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Just a comment to Ian, I installed the “speed” kit and love the looks of the wings with them. Just for that reason I wouldn’t doubt installing them.

In my case, living in a coastal area, I feel they offer some protection against corrosion. I’m going to remove them now, after a year of use, and see how everything looks in there.

Chris

IanGale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Ah thank you both - yes, I think I’ll try just the outrigger fairing next - it does look better and seems to bring at least some benefit. Now, just need to get it to fit over the outrigger pivot mod! Thanks again for all the work on aerodynamics, it’s absolutely fascinating and I’m learning a lot

Area-51

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Obsidian Files - Speed Kit Reply with quote

Thanks Ian,

The hinge covers are of benefit toward foreign objects etc as mentioned above.

They do not add enough significant drag to really worry about or make any detrimental impact on overall performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: