Widening the cockpit - Mod 67

n7188u

Joined: 15 Nov 2015

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

Hi,

As I mentioned on a previous message, I am considering the cockpit widening mod (67). Just checkng to make sure it makes sense since it involves some cutting and will require me to touch up the interior paint which is quite nice right now.

My concern is that the mod involves only a partial widening of the lower door edge. It seems that if you do this your arm will still touch this remaining edge of the door. I guess that yes, that remaining width of the door is further outboard than the fuselage door flange so some gain in overall width is achieved.

I’m looking for some comments regarding this mod. Impression? Are you happy or not if you did it? Is it worth it?

I once asked Bud and he gave his nod of approval which to me means a lot. Just wanted to see what other people that have done it to their airplanes thought.

Chris

SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

Hi Chris

I have done the width mod and to be honest it's a waste of time and effort. It buys you no more than 15mm on either side and requires you to cut out a chunk of the fuselage door lip and well as doing the same with the door, as well as reworking the door locking mechanism. I'd leave it personally.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
Mob: 07971 128842
E-mail: steveivell(at)pestproof.co.uk

Monoman

Joined: 01 Nov 2020

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

Chris, my aircraft has this mod already done so I didn't know any better but recently I rode in one without it and I can say that I noticed the difference. It wasn't a remarkable difference but was noticeable.
I suppose that this comment just muddies the waters for you as I'm sure you will get the opposite view.
Why don't you try to sit in one that has the mod first and decide then?

Cheers
Mike

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

The downward curvature of the canopy prevents sitting close to the door and forces the occupant towards the centreline of the aircraft.
So, providing hip space in the centre tunnel is more effective that arm/shoulder space at the door.
However, if you are sitting low with good head clearance then it can make a difference, if only to make it less noticeable that the door cill is sticking in to your arm.

Duncan McF.

[quote] On 28 March 2023 at 12:54 Steve Ivell <SteveIvell(at)pestproof.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Chris

I have done the width mod and to be honest it's a waste of time and effort. It buys you no more than 15mm on either side and requires you to cut out a chunk of the fuselage door lip and well as doing the same with the door, as well as reworking the door locking mechanism. I'd leave it personally.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
Mob: 07971 128842
E-mail: steveivell(at)pestproof.co.uk

n7188u

Joined: 15 Nov 2015

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. I still have some time before I need to commit because I will leave the painting of the fuselage to last.

Although it doesn't look hard to do I agree it is quite a bit of work. Particularly considering I already have the interior painted and would require sanding off the paint in the areas needed, and then paint it again.

I will say that, at the last flight I did last weekend, the contact of my arm against the door sill was bothering me a little. I also think that the continuous slight leaning to the side doesn't add to comfort. But as Duncan said, the head is also an issue that is not addressed my this modification.

And I am not really a wide person. I wonder what demographics Europa had in mind when they designed our beloved airplanes Rolling Eyes

Chris

SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

We did the height mod as well which is major surgery and can't be done retrospectively.
A simpler solution to the width mod would be to fashion a piece of foam to sit under the door lip to smooth the contour as the lip is quite pronounced without the width mod..... much easier. 😁

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
Managing Director
Pestproof Ltd.
07971 128842
steveivell(at)pestproof.co.uk

--> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com>

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. I still have some time before I need to commit because I will leave the painting of the fuselage to last.

Although it doesn't look hard to do I agree it is quite a bit of work. Particularly considering I already have the interior painted and would require sanding off the paint in the areas needed, and then paint it again.

I will say that at the last flight I did the contact of my arm against the door sill was bothering me a little. I also think that the continuous slight leaning to the side doesn't add to comfort. But as Duncan said, the head is also an issue that is not addressed my this modification.

And I am not really a wide person. I wonder what demographics Europa had in mind when they designed our beloved airplanes [Rolling Eyes]

Paul M 383

Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

"I wonder what demographics Europa had in mind when they designed our beloved airplanes"

Ivan Shaw is 6' 2" and not slim (I'd say that to his face, so no worries Very Happy)

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/the-europa/creator-ivan-shaw

HTH
Paul
G-PLPM

Screenshot_20230328_171244_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  1336 Time(s)

Screenshot_20230328_171244_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

b02db01a-83ec-4d94-9f3d-20cc2c057693-75880.jpeg
 Filesize:  785.9 KB
 Viewed:  1336 Time(s)

b02db01a-83ec-4d94-9f3d-20cc2c057693-75880.jpeg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
n7188u

Joined: 15 Nov 2015

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Widening the cockpit - Mod 67 Reply with quote

Yikes, that is tight (sorry Ivan, you know we love you the same) Smile

I guess he really wanted to go fast. Mission accomplished on that front.

Good idea on the foam piece. Will try that first.

Chris