Master Relay current draw...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
andymeyer

Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Location: SW MI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

Old master relay in my Long EZ - it's pulling about 2.3 amps - just the relay itself - sounds like it's way high. Any recommendations for a low current replacement?

What's the typical draw for one of these and what would cause the high draw? (I don't have the model of relay in front of me, but it appears to be a fairly standard relay) 12V system...

Do these relays have a pull-in and a holding circuit, or are they just a single pull-in coil that is energized the entire time the relay is closed?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

On 12/25/2022 3:34 PM, andymeyer wrote:
Quote:

Old master relay in my Long EZ - it's pulling about 2.3 amps - just the relay itself - sounds like it's way high. Any recommendations for a low current replacement?

What's the typical draw for one of these and what would cause the high draw? (I don't have the model of relay in front of me, but it appears to be a fairly standard relay) 12V system...

Do these relays have a pull-in and a holding circuit, or are they just a single pull-in coil that is energized the entire time the relay is closed?
Might be a little high; you can download a datasheet from Spruce here:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/masterrelay.php

Any chance the builder installed a starter relay in the master slot?
Starter relays typically have higher coil current to engage quicker, etc.

You can spend a bunch more money on a solid state model, but I wouldn't
consider it good value.

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

According to this post:
http://www.matronics.com/searching/getmsg_script.cgi?INDEX=117069337?KEYS=.6_amps_warm?LISTNAME=AeroElectric?HITNUMBER=3?SERIAL=18371020034?SHOWBUTTONS=YES
A Cole-Hersee contactor draws 1 amp cold and drops to about 0.6 amps warm.
Current is determined by the load, the contactor coil is this case.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

Bob's Contactor duty cycle controller

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Contactor_Duty-Cycle_Controller.pdf

Download
 Filename:  Contactor_Duty-Cycle_Controller.pdf
 Filesize:  55.27 KB
 Downloaded:  91 Time(s)

_________________
Joe Gores
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

At 03:34 PM 12/25/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "andymeyer" <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com>

Old master relay in my Long EZ - it's pulling about 2.3 amps - just the relay itself - sounds like it's way high. Any recommendations for a low current replacement?

Yes, that IS waayyy too high for a battery contactor.
It's been suggested that you may have inadvertently
installed an intermittant duty contactor. Here's
one option for a more appropriate device.

https://tinyurl.com/y9nbkhgo

See:

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Contactors/Battery_Contactor_Temps_1.jpg

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Contactors/Battery_Contactor_Temps_2.jpg

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
bob.verwey(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

Andy the " homebuilt" master relay I purchased from Spruce recently  does not even draw 1 amp. While working on the aircraft late one afternoon I forgot to turn it off...the next morning it was warm to the touch but the battery voltage was still in the normal range. On my old Bonanza I noticed that the starter contactor drew higher current than the master contactor, also they are the older style devices..
Best...Bob
On 26 Dec 2022 00:39, "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

On 12/25/2022 3:34 PM, andymeyer wrote:
> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "andymeyer" <meyerkc135(at)gmail.com (meyerkc135(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Old master relay in my Long EZ - it's pulling about 2.3 amps - just the relay itself - sounds like it's way high. Any recommendations for a low current replacement?
>
> What's the typical draw for one of these and what would cause the high draw? (I don't have the model of relay in front of me, but it appears to be a fairly standard relay) 12V system...
>
> Do these relays have a pull-in and a holding circuit, or are they just a single pull-in coil that is energized the entire time the relay is closed?

Might be a little high; you can download a datasheet from Spruce here:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/masterrelay.php

Any chance the builder installed a starter relay in the master slot?
Starter relays typically have higher coil current to engage quicker, etc.

You can spend a bunch more money on a solid state model, but I wouldn't
consider it good value.

Charlie

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
andymeyer

Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Location: SW MI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Master Relay current draw... Reply with quote

Thanks! Getting a new one on the way ASAP.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours