Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb Under New Ownership

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slingshot003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

Maybe this is old news to you, but I just talked to Tom Cooper and found out that he and a partner bought the Kolb company and they are open for busines. New kits will now be offered again and they are building some Fireflys for sale right now. He said he is monitoring the current website phone number.

Merry Christmas and long live the Kolb legacy!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
kolbflyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

I've been on the phone for about an hour with Kolb, trying to validate that I have a KXP based on gear leg diameter. They have confirmed the model, ut think my gear legs are sleeved.

Anyways, wanted to let you all know that they can be reached at 606-862-9692 via phone call or text.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

My Firestar ll had sleeved gear legs. Although I think that the sleeve
wasn't very thick. Why don't you use a set of calipers and measure the
inside dia.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 1:47 PM kolbflyer <j-lauer(at)live.com> wrote:
Quote:

I've been on the phone for about an hour with Kolb, trying to validate that I have a KXP based on gear leg diameter. They have confirmed the model, ut think my gear legs are sleeved.

Anyways, wanted to let you all know that they can be reached at 606-862-9692 via phone call or text.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=509773#509773

--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email
address before sending.

jhauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

Original Firestar legs were 1" solid 7075 aluminum rod with a aluminum sleeve, probably .65.

The original Twinstar used 1 1/8" solid rod, no sleeve.

john h
Titus, Alabama

--

jhauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

Need to correct .65 to .065".

Haven't done any airplane building in a while. Wink

john h
Titus, Alabama Department of Education

--

kolbflyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

here are some pictures that I took today. the attached gear are solid chromoly custom made ones and the fuselage side looks like there is a clamp system, but its not. the picture is of the original aluminum legs and also 1" dia...same as the chromoly ones.

IMG_0058 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  776.95 KB
 Viewed:  3208 Time(s)

IMG_0058 copy.jpg

IMG_0056.HEIC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.56 KB

IMG_0056.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_0054.HEIC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.14 KB

IMG_0054.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_0053.HEIC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.27 KB

IMG_0053.HEIC.jpeg

jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Kolb Under New Ownership Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Kolb company. Now it makes sense, possibly, why they weren't selling kits, nobody was answering texts, emails, nor the phone for the past year or so when I've tried getting in touch. I was wondering if the former owners had gotten burned out, ready to retire, and didn't have anything left in them to go on. It seems that might have been the case. Life happens.

Hopefully with new owners they will want business and I wish them well. I will try to contact them again with a few of the questions I still have that only they can answer (paperwork stuff). I thank everyone on the list for answering my many questions in my build since I couldn't reach Kolb.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in my build as I've just taken everything apart (wings, stabilizers and controls were all mounted and rigged) as I'm ready to fabric cover. I had a friend come over Thursday night while everything was all put together and rigged and we verified the drawings to the complete build, counting rivets and bolts to make sure everything is done and ready, and it is. I was missing 4 rivets and I redid 3 more we didn't like.

For the covering I plan to do the wienerdogaero method as I am using a garage under a residence. Just using a little rattle can of spray paint to cover the seat pan had the resident coming down asking if I plan to paint much else? Oops. She'll be gone next week so I will use lacqer thinner to clean all my parts while she is gone. Plus, it's going to be 50-60 degrees next week here in my part of WY so I can open the garage doors when I do that (after having minus 30f this week). I already have the fabric and tapes, 3m Fastbond 30nf in green, enamel primer and Behr hi-gloss that Malcolm used on his Pietenpol. I'm going with Behr "Extreme Yellow" for the classic airplane look.

Merry Christmas to all!
Jay 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: