OVP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

So my snazzy BandC voltage regulator is outputting a bit of AC and getting hot.  To be fair “newish” means 3 years old.  The BandC includes and OVP unit.   I am assuming that this is a manufacturing issue since this was one of the first produced.

So my question is who has overvoltage protection AND expensive avionics?
I had an old style OVP with a relay/crowbar etc which I stupidly trashed when I got my new BandC so I cant simply put it back in.
So should I put in my old but (fully functional) rotax regulator and fly without OVP pending the arrival of my new (and hopefully improved) BandC or just be patient….?   (My name is Will and Im a flying addict)

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Curious, what is “a bit”?

Quote:
On Dec 18, 2022, at 8:28 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

4-5 volts and one of the outputs is a bit burnt - heat shrink melted

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 08:36 Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)>

Curious, what is “a bit”?

> On Dec 18, 2022, at 8:28 AM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>
> So my snazzy BandC voltage regulator is outputting a bit of AC and getting hot.  To be fair “newish” means 3 years old.  The BandC includes and OVP unit.   I am assuming that this is a manufacturing issue since this was one of the first produced.
>
> So my question is who has overvoltage protection AND expensive avionics?
>
> I had an old style OVP with a relay/crowbar etc which I stupidly trashed when I got my new BandC so I cant simply put it back in.
>
> So should I put in my old but (fully functional) rotax regulator and fly without OVP pending the arrival of my new (and hopefully improved) BandC or just be patient….?   (My name is Will and Im a flying addict)
>

> --
> William Daniell
> LONGPORT
> +1 786 878 0246

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

And crackle in the headset

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Radio Noise
If you are getting radio noise that seems to be alternator-related, you can use your multimeter to do a quick check of the alternator output voltage. Set your meter to AC voltage and measure from the main bus to ground while the engine is running. If you see more than one volt in the AC scale, suspect a blown diode inside the alternator or possibly bad brushes. Remember, the alternator is only supposed to output DC voltage. This isn’t a perfect test, but it is quick and easy. A ripple meter is an even better way to check stator and diode condition, but most amateur builders will not have one in their toolbox.

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Ouch!
What did BandC say?
Thx,
PeteZ

Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Brushes?

Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Ill be calling them monday - just checked the installation date and it was Nov 2021…so lasted a year.  They normally produce good kit so this must have some kind of an issue.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 08:55 Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com (peterz(at)zutrasoft.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Ouch!
What did BandC say?
Thx,
PeteZ

Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Sad

Fingers x’d for mine (and my EarthX). I agree BandC have a good rep

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Hi! William /All.

When I had G-PTAG Three times on inspection I found that the continuation connectors from the alternator standard Rotax wires where I had a rubberlite connection assembly taking the electrical power into the panel/regulator I discovered the lot all heat welded together.

I found that the spade connectors did not have sufficient contact area and were arcing generating heat from sparking . I didn't find a solution to the problem which was initiated by Rotax using spade connectors on the power delivery spades which only have knife edge contact area . Some form of screw clamp connectors would generate less heat from arcing , which in turn would remove radio interference and potential for fire.

regards
Bob Harrison .......Ex G-PTAG.

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Spade connectors of that size are rated to 10 amp and 300v according to the R/S-Components specification sheet.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 18 Dec 2022, at 21:53, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net> wrote:

Hi! William /All.
When I had G-PTAG Three times on inspection I found that the continuation connectors from the alternator standard Rotax wires where I had a rubberlite connection assembly taking the electrical power into the panel/regulator I discovered the lot all heat welded together.
I found that the spade connectors did not have sufficient contact area and were arcing generating heat from sparking . I didn't find a solution to the problem which was initiated by Rotax using spade connectors on the power delivery spades which only have knife edge contact area . Some form of screw clamp connectors would generate less heat from arcing , which in turn would remove radio interference and potential for fire.
regards

Bob Harrison .......Ex G-PTAG.
.
Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

I hear what you say but the nature of spade connectors utilise a knife (male) connector into a female receptor and they can spark.....I've seen them arcing .....put your head in the sand and ignore it at your peril. The reason I had three examples of molten connector assembly speaks volumes, not withstanding the original "posting on subject" reported the same issue. In test conditions the connectors may be adequately rated but subject them to vibration and that rating is obviously open to question, in other words "they are shit".
regards.
Bob Harrison ex G-PTAG.
regards
Bob Harrison
Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

…and why assume that the BandC is delivered with plated (i can’t remember with what) replacement connectors in an attempt to carry more current without overheating, per their instructions.
I have no idea if they are effective, but mine are not (yet?) charring fwiw.
PeteZ

Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

Monoman

Joined: 01 Nov 2020

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: OVP Reply with quote

After a little research I think I now know what this thread is about and have a couple of questions.
1. Is this a straight replacement for the Ducati units?
2. Does the ducati unit contain OVP?
3. I have just fitted an Earth X battery (but not yet run the engine), will this charge OK using the original Ducati regulator?
Sorry for my electrical ignorance.

Cheers

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

1 - yip!
2- Nope
3 - it may?  but the BandC has an adjustable/settable output for the higher requirements of the EarthX
-PeteZ

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 5:55 AM Monoman <mike(at)nyumba.co.uk (mike(at)nyumba.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Monoman" <mike(at)nyumba.co.uk (mike(at)nyumba.co.uk)>

After a little research I think I now know what this thread is about and have a couple of questions.
1. Is this a straight replacement for the Ducati units?
2. Does the ducati unit contain OVP?
3. I have just fitted an Earth X battery (but not yet run the engine), will this charge OK using the original Ducati regulator?
Sorry for my electrical ignorance.

Cheers

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

I have an EarthX and the Rotax Ducati Regulator. It charges the EarthX and not had any problems.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 19 Dec 2022, at 11:23, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

1 - yip!
2- Nope
3 - it may? but the BandC has an adjustable/settable output for the higher requirements of the EarthX
-PeteZ

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 5:55 AM Monoman <mike(at)nyumba.co.uk (mike(at)nyumba.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Monoman" <mike(at)nyumba.co.uk (mike(at)nyumba.co.uk)>

After a little research I think I now know what this thread is about and have a couple of questions.
1. Is this a straight replacement for the Ducati units?
2. Does the ducati unit contain OVP?
3. I have just fitted an Earth X battery (but not yet run the engine), will this charge OK using the original Ducati regulator?
Sorry for my electrical ignorance.

Cheers

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Ducati regulators vary. My last regulator's output was 13.79v, which was not enough even for a Red Top battery let alone Lithium. Fairly easily fixed though.

Duncan mcF.
Quote:
On 19 December 2022 at 11:35 Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: OVP Reply with quote

Thanks chaps for the replies I now have a better grip and at least know that it shouldn't blow up upon engine start.
Duncan, you mention that a low charge rate was easily fixed, can you let me know how?
Thanks
Mike

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

Lots of references to this in Forum the archives and elsewhere. e.g. Europa forum on Sun May 02, 2021 3:31 pm
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=16776904&highlight=shottky

Duncan McF.
Quote:
On 19 December 2022 at 13:16 Monoman <mike(at)nyumba.co.uk> wrote:

Thanks chaps for the replies I now have a better grip and at least know that it shouldn't blow up upon engine start.
Duncan, you mention that a low charge rate was easily fixed, can you let me know how?
Thanks
Mike

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: OVP Reply with quote

The bandc charges as 14.4 volts from the box but is adjustable and does have OVP built in.
Plugs straight in.
It's a lot nicer looking than the rotax item but costs USD300....
Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246