2005 Firestar KXP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
kolbflyer

Joined: 12 Dec 2022

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: 2005 Firestar KXP Reply with quote

I recently bought the KXP, but it didn't come with any documentation (build log, build documents, parts list,..)

Curious if anyone on here would happen to have a set digitally.

I'm looking forward to flying this and experiencing the freedom this will bring, but it. might have to wait for warmer weather being in the New England area.

Right. now I'm planning to trailer the plane and will need to get a trailer and set it up for easy loading and unloading.

I am curious of the folding of the wings, current owner had the ailerons facing straight up, but on the videos of Kolb folding wings it shows them folded inside laying on the inside of the wing.

Any recommendations on making the folding wing post key pin installation easier? previous owner said it was a PITA and never used them.

Thank for anything you could help out with.

Jeremy.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: Jordan Valley, Or

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: 2005 Firestar KXP Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding a kxp. I have a friend that has one and he
runs circles around my FII. As for the pin, I bought a 1/2- 1/3- 1/4
one inch wooden rod, ( light but stiff enough to do the job.) like you
will find at one of the hardware stores, cut a slot in one end secured
a pin that is a "tow hitch pin"

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%20trailer%20hitch%20pin&qs=n&form=QBRE&=%25eManage%20Your%20Search%20History%25E&sp=-1&pq=trailer%20hitch%20pin&sc=10-17&sk=&cvid=9846A58FF81E45EC9B9ACAC0752A88A2&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=

You would drill a hole in the post when it is holding the wing. Then
when you want to secure the wing, you stick the "tow Hitch pin in the
hole from the back end of the plane. The hump in the pin keeps it from
vibrating out.
Larry

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 1:35 PM kolbflyer <j-lauer(at)live.com> wrote:
Quote:

I recently bought the FXP, but it didn't come with any documentation (build log, build documents, parts list,..)

Curious if anyone on here would happen to have a set digitally.

I'm looking forward to flying this and experiencing the freedom this will bring, but it. might have to wait for warmer weather being in the New England area.

Right. now I'm planning to trailer the plane and will need to get a trailer and set it up for easy loading and unloading.

I am curious of the folding of the wings, current owner had the ailerons facing straight up, but on the videos of Kolb folding wings it shows them folded inside laying on the inside of the wing.

Any recommendations on making the folding wing post key pin installation easier? previous owner said it was a PITA and never used them.

Thank for anything you could help out with.

Jeremy.

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email
address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
do not archive
kolbflyer

Joined: 12 Dec 2022

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 Firestar KXP Reply with quote

Thank you very much and I'll look into making some of those. I bring the plane home tomorrow and will be going through it and replacing some worn out hardware. This one has a Rotax 447 with about 30 hours on. I'd love to put a 503 on it, but am trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. I'll try to post some pics when I get it home.

do the ailerons fold to the inside of the wing towards the boom when folded or do they extent from the trailing edge? the firefly video I saw shows them folded inside the wing. I'll be doing a lot of learning and coming up with methods to make it so that I can efficiently fold and unfold by myself at the airport.

I'll also have to make a special trailer also and saw an older post here for some interesting designs.

Thanks again and can't wait to get some airport permissions, trailer set up, and some taxi testing done to get a feel for handling.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: 2005 Firestar KXP Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,
Welcome to the group. Congratulations on picking up a bird. While I've been here a few years, and I own 2 Firestar IIs, I've not flown one yet. One I bought was almost complete and had flown with a total of 12 hours on a 447 with a 2 blade ground adjustable ivoprop but when I got it it was missing a fuselage. The second FSII is a new kit that was partially completed without an engine/prop/instruments. I'm currently in the process of finishing the kit and I hope to start fabric covering next week. The engine, prop, and instruments from the first one are going onto the kit. I replaced the engine seals and put in new ceramic coated pistons since I had it all tore down. I'm on track to be flying by early Spring, depending on when I can get a DAR. I've started the process for paperwork with the FAA.

I do have over 450 hours in a CGS Hawk I built in the early 90s with a 447 and I've flown a few Hawks with the 503 DCDI. I'm not tempted to have a 503 on my Kolb unless I was planning on flying often with 2 people, personally. The reason I say that is my 447 Hawk, turning a wooden 40" x 70" pitch prop, would cruise at 55-60 mph (I don't recall the RPM but the engine was comfortably loafing and not screaming) would only use 1.5 gallons per hour consistently. When I ran a 40" x 68 prop it burned closer to 1.8-2 gallons an hour. My Hawk weighed in at 305 lbs but with a 447 it was a rocket and literally the most fun flying I've ever done. I have around 2,400 hours in GA (flying some nicely modified bush planes) not including the 450 in my Hawk but beyond a doubt the Hawk was the most fun. The Kolb appears it should fly similarly to the Hawk. The dual carb 503 was a bit more of a rocket but not as much as I expected the difference to be. That was partly due to a higher empty weight of the craft and it had to carry more fuel. The fuel burn though went upwards of 4 gallons an hour. The one I had the most experience with that was burning around 4gph though had a 3 blade, in-flight adjustable Ivoprop but there was no way to consistently dial it in and that might have been part of the problem with fuel burn because the engine was either underloaded or overloaded, in my opinion. For me, the fuel burn wasn't worth the extra power that wasn't really necessary in a single place but to each their own. Flying 2 up would certainly be beneficial to have the extra hp at the higher cost of carrying more fuel and burning more. I might change my tune though as I don't live 700' above sea level anymore as I'm at 4,600 and summer days are really hot so the density altitude might change my opinion quickly.

I have an idea of why your ailerons don't fold down because I am building my kit and just rigged the ailerons over a week ago. I don't like the piano hinges for the ailerons. To me, it seems any loading on the aileron (when it is turned up or down) is loading the hinge in a way that it's as if the hinge is trying to pry out the rivets, again just my opinion. I won't come out and say they are dangerous as I have never heard of Kolbs having hinge problems so it must not be dangerous and is fine. I have built my wing and ailerons to accept eyebolts for hinges even though the previous owner of the kit has it set up for the piano hinges. The CGS Hawk used the eyebolt hinges. With the piano hinges the ailerons will fold down because the hinge point is far enough back to allow it (there is a 3/4" gap between spars). If the previous owner of yours built it or converted over to eyebolts, the ailerons won't fold down because the rear spar of the wing will be in contact with the front spar of the aileron at a certain point because the hinge point is so much closer together. I don't know if that is the reason or perhaps they mounted the piano hinges on the top of the rear wing spar and top of the aileron spar. It could be the hinges are mounted on the bottom but there isn't a 3/4" gap. These are just guesses but something you could check.

I'm curious as to what hardware is "worn out"? That sounds strange to me unless there are corrosion issues like with the galvanized cables.

I have the Firestar plans and book but I don't have them digitally. I would tell you to call, text, or email Kolb directly for information, but I have tried all 3 methods of contact with questions and have never gotten any response, so much so I'm guessing if they aren't out of business they must be close to it. At one point not long ago I was looking to buy the fabric covering kit from them and some other stuff but I figured stuff out instead since I couldn't get any response from them. I have decided to go with the wienerdogaero method of fabric coverings and my glue just came yesterday.

The group here has answered many questions I have had so ask away. Stuart's website has a lot of good photos and information of Firefly stuff at http://www.harnerfarm.net/serenity/serenity.html and much of it is similar. Stuart has also been good about answering my many questions.

I hope that helps with information. I guess I felt like rambling this morning. Now to get back to the project, putting in floors, seat, and nose cone.

Jay in WY

Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 6:31 AM
From: "kolbflyer" <j-lauer(at)live.com>
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: 2005 Firestar KXP

[...]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 Firestar KXP Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and I'll take a look at the hinges.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours