12v to 9v converter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
Jim Merrill

Joined: 08 Dec 2021

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

I have 2 headsets that use 9v batteries for the noise canceling feature. I would like to eliminate the batteries with a converter wired to 12volts. A quick search found some really cheap ones such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QGXL9XP/?coliid=IYLAXI7YVIXIG&colid=21QIC5UMRO2OL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Would this do the job without making noise in the headsets or radio (a handheld currently)? The plane is an Aeronca Champ with no electrical system. My ultimate plan is to use a small Earthx battery to power the headsets and a Garmin GTR200 radio . This radio also has a nice intercom. Thanks for any advice!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
alec(at)alecmyers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

You might investigate whether they’ll happily run from 12V without any conversion.

On Dec 15, 2022, at 4:46 PM, Jim Merrill <glastar5901(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have 2 headsets that use 9v batteries for the noise canceling feature. I would like to eliminate the batteries with a converter wired to 12volts. A quick search found some really cheap ones such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QGXL9XP/?coliid=IYLAXI7YVIXIG&colid=21QIC5UMRO2OL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Would this do the job without making noise in the headsets or radio (a handheld currently)? The plane is an Aeronca Champ with no electrical system. My ultimate plan is to use a small Earthx battery to power the headsets and a Garmin GTR200 radio . This radio also has a nice intercom. Thanks for any advice!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

Good point, and a quick phone call to the mfgr would probably answer that question.
On the converter, you really won't know until you try it. Some cheap buck converters are noise-free, others aren't, and some people have bought one that was noise-free, bought another from the same vendor and it wasn't.
If you want total silence at the expense of some efficiency loss, you can roll your own linear regulator with some sort of small container & whatever wire/connectors you choose to make everything play together. I've used plastic film canisters (remember those?) and plastic prescription bottles. There are probably better, more modern options available these days, but my 5 decade old favorite for extremely low current demand stuff like GPS pucks and headsets is the LM78xx series 3 terminal regulator. With such low power consumption you shouldn't even need a heatsink;  all you need is a wire from input to the battery, a pair of wires from the ground terminal to the battery ground and the device ground, and a wire from its output to the device's power input. For 9V, you want an LM7809; the last two digits denote the output voltage.
Unsolicited advice: You can get equivalent results from the battery if you look almost anywhere else (scroll down for the smaller cheaper versions), for a 12V Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. And if you're comfortable with the battery in the cellphone in your pocket while flying, you could also go to Lithium Ion. They're actually making L-I 9V batteries now, or you really want a lot of capacity, you could forget about the linear regulator and just use a battery pack intended for remote controlled hobby a/c & cars. You'd need a charger, but that applies to any of the others as well.
Charlie
On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 3:53 PM Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com (alec(at)alecmyers.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com (alec(at)alecmyers.com)>

You might investigate whether they’ll happily run from 12V without any conversion.

On Dec 15, 2022, at 4:46 PM, Jim Merrill <glastar5901(at)gmail.com (glastar5901(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Jim Merrill" <glastar5901(at)gmail.com (glastar5901(at)gmail.com)>

I have 2 headsets that use 9v batteries for the noise canceling feature. I would like to eliminate the batteries with a converter wired to 12volts. A quick search found some really cheap ones such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QGXL9XP/?coliid=IYLAXI7YVIXIG&colid=21QIC5UMRO2OL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Would this do the job without making noise in the headsets or radio (a handheld currently)? The plane is an Aeronca Champ with no electrical system. My ultimate plan is to use a small Earthx battery to power the headsets and a Garmin GTR200 radio . This radio also has a nice intercom. Thanks for any advice!

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

Well, duh. Just noticed the need to power the radio in the original post. The regulator advice still applies,  as does the choice for 12v batteries.
Apologies for my careless reading.
Charlie
Get BlueMail for Android

On Dec 15, 2022, at 5:13 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent replies. My headsets have anr modules from Headsets Inc.. According to them the modules require " a very stable power supply.Do not attempt to power them directly from the aircraft".They say voltage spikes and static will damage the very sensitive circuits. Hmmmm!
They do sell ($40 each) a panel mount unit that has-"dual voltage regulators and is isolated with a DC/DC converter". It seems to me that since I have no charging system in the plane that isolation wouldn't be necessary.
The simplest solution would be to cough up $98 for 2 of their units but I am the ultimate tightwad! Good call on the cheaper batteries- they are on my list now!

Edit- I just saw these-
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Terminal-Voltage-Regulator-Module/dp/B08BZG8MZ8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1KV3C1L94CT9P&keywords=lm7809&qid=1671204614&sprefix=lm7809%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-4
any advantage to these over the voltage regulator by itself?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

At 08:17 AM 12/16/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Jim Merrill" <glastar5901(at)gmail.com>

Thanks for the excellent replies. My headsets have anr modules from Headsets Inc.. According to them the modules require " a very stable power supply.Do not attempt to power them directly from the aircraft".They say voltage spikes and static will damage the very sensitive circuits. Hmmmm!

Agree with the 3-terminal regulator solution but acquiring
a 7809 can be expensive. The part is available and cheap

https://tinyurl.com/2zcf3vcr

but shipping minimums are problematic.

The LM317 ADJUSTABLE regulator can be used too . . .
and I've got a fist full in a drawer. Can send
you a couple along with the resistors and capacitors
to craft your own VERY stable, VERY quiet, 9v
supply. *NOTE* changing from a battery (totally
isolated, floating supply) to a ship's system power
source raises potential for ground-loop generated
noises.

A quiet, ISOLATED ground, DC/DC converter would
probably work fine and bring no issues with it.

Those little Amazon offers are priced right
and a cheap experiment. It's easy to test
for input-output ground isolation.

Quote:
The simplest solution would be to cough up $98 for 2 of their units but I am the ultimate tightwad! Good call on the cheaper batteries- they are on my list now!

My intercom uses a 9v battery too . . . I can't remember
how many times I replaced it during 10+ years of
service . . . two maybe? Compared to other expenses
of operating the airplane, batteries for headsets
were trivial. In fact, for the last 10 years I was
actively flying, I would put fresh AA cells in my
DUAL hand held GPS receivers EVERY outbound departure
to avoid changing cells while airborne with risk
of dropping cell, battery case back, in turbulence
or dark etc.

Back then, AA cells from Sams were about $.26
each so the fresh-set-every-trip only added
about a dollar to the expense.

Of course, if your headsets use the clip-in
9V batteries, those are considerably more than
$.26! But then, how often do you need to replace
them?

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

On 12/16/2022 4:09 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
At 08:17 AM 12/16/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Jim Merrill" <glastar5901(at)gmail.com> (glastar5901(at)gmail.com)

Thanks for the excellent replies. My headsets have anr modules from Headsets Inc.. According to them the modules require " a very stable power supply.Do not attempt to power them directly from the aircraft".They say voltage spikes and static will damage the very sensitive circuits. Hmmmm!

  Agree with the 3-terminal regulator solution but acquiring
  a 7809 can be expensive. The part is available and cheap

https://tinyurl.com/2zcf3vcr

  but shipping minimums are problematic.

[snipped]

My bad; I should have just said, 'generic 1.5A 7809 regulator'.

Like
ebay regulator
Or, for a lifetime supply for any conceivable a/c need:
[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/295336432626?hash=item44c36c53f2:g:3PsAAOSw9YdfQAIV&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkPGyaruPFwk7evYbjo3gDb80EFq4AGxzrKozKXpGPqz%2Bh0B6GrReCgtd8bVaJrWUwUBd1h1Djz7aStijcA7Siga6g0%2B%2BrMzejHleBRDUEMG9L22G%2F3gagpAX9GNPI%2BOK4hW4BuLyRGAY9tpMfvkTXdvi5oH6xEg4a4Sd%2F2eRNAWvqEbu4FMWcz%2FB08Xjk7APcg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8iV5dGjYQ,or, for a lifetime supply meeting every conceivable a/c need:,https://smile.amazon.com/BOJACK-Package-Positive-Regulator-Assortment/dp/B07T5ZHY63/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3HCXSN27IUIM3&keywords=lm7809&qid=1671230714&sprefix=lm7809%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSVcwRjMyN1E2QjJFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODcxMjI5M0U1VTEzSzFOMk9aOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjcwMDI4MllKVUVJM1RPNjI1NCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=]Amazon regulator kit[/url]

Charlie
Virus-free.www.avast.com[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
Eric Page

Joined: 15 Feb 2017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

Jim Merrill wrote:
Edit- I just saw these-
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Terminal-Voltage-Regulator-Module/dp/B08BZG8MZ8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1KV3C1L94CT9P&keywords=lm7809&qid=1671204614&sprefix=lm7809%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-4
any advantage to these over the voltage regulator by itself?

Yes, indeed. The 7809 version of that is exactly what you want: all the necessary components neatly packaged on a small board. You probably couldn't source the parts for those modules for what they're charging for them.

After you screw down the terminals good and tight on your wires, put a few drops of superglue on them so they won't vibrate loose on you.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

At 09:31 PM 12/16/2022, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Eric Page" <edpav8r(at)yahoo.com>

Jim Merrill wrote:
> Edit- I just saw these-
> https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Terminal-Voltage-Regulator-Module/dp/B08BZG8MZ8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1KV3C1L94CT9P&keywords=lm7809&qid=1671204614&sprefix=lm7809%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-4
> any advantage to these over the voltage regulator by itself?

Yes, indeed. The 7809 version of that is exactly what you want: all the necessary components neatly packaged on a small board. You probably couldn't source the parts for those modules for what they're charging for them.

After you screw down the terminals good and tight on your wires, put a few drops of superglue on them so they won't vibrate loose on you.

Bingo. Good find. As long as a common ground doesn't prove
problematic, you won't find a simpler/cheaper solution.

Those terminal strips are particularly friendly for terminating
stranded wire . . . they have a flat surface that is driven
down onto the strands as opposed to the end of a screw.

Vibratory forces are not transferred from wire to screw.
Thread locking is not necessary.

However, they do lack wire support. expose minimum
length of strands so that insulation tucks up tight to
terminal strip body. Dab of E6000 will take care of
the vibrational-flexing issue.

Those regulator assemblies are well populated with
capacitors that go to noise issues. They might
well be quieter than a battery. Bet you didn't
know that batteries generate noise . . . exceedingly
tiny but not zero.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Jim Merrill

Joined: 08 Dec 2021

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 12v to 9v converter Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I just ordered the regulators from Amazon along with a 6ah LiFepo4 battery. Once I get everything together, I'll let you know how it works out. At the very least, this stuff is fun to play with!
My headsets consume a 9v battery every 6 or 8 hours. It's been a while since I used a portable intercom but they used 9v batteries too and lasted about the same length of time.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours