aileron counter weights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
jaydub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: aileron counter weights Reply with quote

I know I've seen it somewhere but tonight I was looking at the plans and the yellow book. I cannot for the life of me find how to install the aileron counter weights. Can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jay

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jaydub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: aileron counter weights Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
I would think I'll want to install the weight mount into the aileron leading edge tube before fabric so I can get the outboard aileron "ribs" attached and get the mount riveted in. Is that correct? Then I will mess with the balance using the weight when the aileron has the fabric installed and painted. For now I can just install that mount even with the bottom of the ailerons. Does that sound correct?

Thanks,
Jay

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 5:30 AM
From: "Steve Gates" <smgates(at)tpg.com.au>
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com, "'Kolb-List Digest List'" <kolb-list-digest(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Kolb-List Digest: 5 Msgs - 12/10/22

Hi Jay,

On my Firestar II I only have turnbuckles on the elevator cable at the base
of the joystick.

There are no turnbuckles on the rudder cables on mine - I believe because
they are not needed if the cables are made the same length because the
tension is maintained in the cables by springs forward of the rudder pedals,
and then more tension on the cable from when one's feet rest or push on
them.

Regarding the aileron counterweights, they are simply a steel rod which
slides into the end-cap tube projecting forward of the aileron torque tube
just outboard of the wing tips - your drawings should show this. Before
sliding the counterweight rod into the tube, drill a clearance hole for an
AN4 bolt into through one wall of the end-cap tube about 1/2" from the open
end of the tube. Then with no external biasing loads (such as pushrods or
fabric etc, ie the aileron is able to freely swivel on its pivot hinges),
slide the rod in or out (aft or forward) to make the aileron balance so it
swings to a horizontal resting state. You may have to have the wing upside
down to be able to get the aileron to balance, by having its CoG below the
pivot line, as opposed to above the pivot line. Then lock the rod in place
by drilling a tapping drill through the outer tube clearance hole into the
rod, then remove the rod and fully tap the hole. Reinsert the rod and bolt
it in place with washer and lockwasher or Loctite.

Regards
Steve

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours