Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aeroshell 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coop85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Aeroshell 6 Reply with quote

I’m slow getting my conditional inspection done this year in part due to no availability of Aeroshell 6 for the prop hub. Does anyone have a source for 14 oz tubes or a good alternative? Everything I’ve come across indicates you have to do a complete gun disassembly to switch to a different grease.

Thanks,
Marcus

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

rleffler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Aeroshell 6 Reply with quote

Hartzell switched to a different product last year, but I don’t know if you can co-mingle the grease. I suspect not.

I made the switch when I had my prop serviced last year.  

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Marcus Cooper <cooprv7(at)yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2022 10:22:58 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Aeroshell 6

--> RV10-List message posted by: Marcus Cooper <cooprv7(at)yahoo.com>

I’m slow getting my conditional inspection done this year in part due to no availability of Aeroshell 6 for the prop hub. Does anyone have a source for 14 oz tubes or a good alternative? Everything I’ve come across indicates you have to do a complete gun disassembly to switch to a different grease.

Thanks,
Marcus

===========
Email Forum -
-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
ps://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Aeroshell 6 Reply with quote

You can absolutely NOT co-mingle the grease. They have been using the new grease for several years now. There will be a sticker on the prop hub (mostly hidden by the spinner front plate) that will say what grease is used. They say that if you use the wrong grease, you have 25 hours to get the prop torn down, cleaned and resealed. Don’t ask me how I know. Make sure you use the grease that is in the hub.
Also, most prop shops tell me that the grease needs to be added every 100-500 hours (differing based on the source), not necessarily every year.
Jesse SaintSaint Aviation, Inc.jesse(at)saintaviation.com (jesse(at)saintaviation.com)C: 352-427-0285

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2022, at 10:42 AM, Bob Leffler <bob(at)thelefflers.com (bob(at)thelefflers.com)> wrote:
Hartzell switched to a different product last year, but I don’t know if you can co-mingle the grease. I suspect not.

I made the switch when I had my prop serviced last year.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)> on behalf of Marcus Cooper <cooprv7(at)yahoo.com (cooprv7(at)yahoo.com)> Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2022 10:22:58 AM To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com) <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)> Subject: Aeroshell 6

--> RV10-List message posted by: Marcus Cooper <cooprv7(at)yahoo.com (cooprv7(at)yahoo.com)> I’m slow getting my conditional inspection done this year in part due to no availability of Aeroshell 6 for the prop hub. Does anyone have a source for 14 oz tubes or a good alternative? Everything I’ve come across indicates you have to do a complete gun disassembly to switch to a different grease. Thanks, Marcus =========== Email Forum - -List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List =========== p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - ums.matronics.com =========== p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI - matronics.com =========== p; - List Contribution Web Site - p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin. ps://matronics.com/contribution ===========

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aeroshell 6 Reply with quote

Yep, the "new grease" (Nyco something??)can NOT be mixed with Aeroshell 6, you need to take the hub apart and clean out all the old grease. However, Aeroshell 5 can be mixed with 6 (you have to placard against low temperature operations, I forget the number but it's pretty cold.) if you can find that. In line with an earlier post, I know of at least one A&P who recommends never re-greasing the hub, as over-greasing causes all sorts of problems. Of course this is contrary to Hartzell's instructions, do at your own risk.

Edit: In case you didn't know, the shortage is due to a massive fire destroying the production plant 18 months ago. I believe that as of today Aeroshell 6 has still not returned to production.

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Aeroshell 6 Reply with quote

I just heard some new-to-me information on this (3rd hand-use at your own risk). As stated above, Hartzell has switched to a Nyco grease, which absolutely may not be mixed with Aeroshell 5 or 6. However (this is the new info) they are now recommending that, as long as you don't operate in truly cold temperatures (below -40 F/C), you should use Aeroshell 5 for all future additions of grease (assuming you now have Aeroshell 6, and aren't ready to do an Overhaul to completely remove the existing #6 and switch to Nyco).
Apparently the formulation of Aeroshell 6 was changed a few years back, and Hartzell is not happy with the new stuff. After about a year it tends to separate into a clay like compound, and a thin runny oily liquid (I have seen this myself, a thin oily liquid ran out of my grease gun after sitting a year).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: