Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Alan

Thank you very much for this update. Very helpful indeed.

I have been offered a Garmin Aera 500 which would be a much neater and smaller GPS input source than my Skymap IIIC. Would you happen to know if the Aera would have the necessary output for the Trutrak?

Hope your strip has not become too waterlogged in all this rain. Would love to fly up and see your AP in action. Sandown is currently closed as the grass is so boggy but us residents can operate off the astro. Quite challenging to remain within its 430m with just 80hp up front!

Best regards

David

Quote:
On 19 Nov 2022, at 16:26, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

Ok I’ve had a. Ha ce to fly mine with the GPS feed off.

As Duncan says below the display drops to show -|—|- but maintains the track last set or you are holding when you switch it on.

The are no heading digits on the display so you will need use your compass/DI to show that.

If you press the left or right ⤵️ buttons then you can alter the track the AP is following either left or right and a number appears which if you press the button you can increase or decrease after the AP locks on the numbers disappear and you have the -|—|- on the display.

Useful if you have a GPS failure but wouldn’t want that as normal mode of operation so my suggestion is you need a GPS feed with the right NEMA message set to get the most out of the AP and the ability for it to follow a track you have programmed in is a bonus.

One word of caution, I have come across some GPS that don’t put out any messages, even the position message for driving a Transponder ADS-B output, unless there is a track in the GPS. That was how some of the older version worked, GARMIN 430 and possible the early AVMAP were guilty of that.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

> On 10 Nov 2022, at 10:52, D McFadyean <ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net> wrote:
>

> Digitrak only needs basic positional information from the GPS on a regular basis. It will use this information to fly the track that has been set on the Digitrak.
> If a route is programmed in to the GPS, it will fly that too (with different commands being set at the Digitrak control head to enable this), so long as the GPS is also putting out the crosstrack error signal; not all of them do.
>
> Duncan McF.

Rowland_Carson

Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham, England

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

On 2022-11-20, at 16:22, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com (dpc(at)knightonweb.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for this update. Very helpful indeed.I have been offered a Garmin Aera 500 which would be a much neater and smaller GPS input source than my Skymap IIIC. Would you happen to know if the Aera would have the necessary output for the Trutrak?

David - it’s my understanding that the Aera 500 would drive the TruTrak OK. Way back in 2009-11-05 I logged in my build journal:

“Note that the just-announced Garmin aera 500 touchscreen GPS appears to offer more screen area in a smaller box than the 296, and to have superseded it (the 296 has disappeared from the Garmin website), and Transair already have it listed at a lower price than the 296 - ho hum.”

So it looks as though I had at that time checked the capability of the Aera 500 to drive my TruTrak wing leveller and found it to be compatible. I was just disappointed that it was “nicer”, smaller and cheaper than the GPSmap 296 to which I had already committed!

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Rowland
Thanks for sharing that. Most helpful.
Is your 296 still working well with the Trutrak?
David

Quote:

On 2022-11-20, at 16:22, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com (dpc(at)knightonweb.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for this update. Very helpful indeed.I have been offered a Garmin Aera 500 which would be a much neater and smaller GPS input source than my Skymap IIIC. Would you happen to know if the Aera would have the necessary output for the Trutrak?

David - it’s my understanding that the Aera 500 would drive the TruTrak OK. Way back in 2009-11-05 I logged in my build journal:

“Note that the just-announced Garmin aera 500 touchscreen GPS appears to offer more screen area in a smaller box than the 296, and to have superseded it (the 296 has disappeared from the Garmin website), and Transair already have it listed at a lower price than the 296 - ho hum.”

So it looks as though I had at that time checked the capability of the Aera 500 to drive my TruTrak wing leveller and found it to be compatible. I was just disappointed that it was “nicer”, smaller and cheaper than the GPSmap 296 to which I had already committed!

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Rowland_Carson

Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham, England

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

On 2022-11-20, at 17:20, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

Quote:
Is your 296 still working well with the Trutrak?

David - I think I may have mentioned in a previous posting on this topic that I am not yet actually flying in my Europa!

However, I have done some simple testing on the ground and it appears to be functioning as desired.

My website <http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk> is down now for some reason (I have raised a support ticket!) but when it comes back you should be able to find the relevant part of the journal on the entry for 22 Feb 2021.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Ah, yes Roland. You did mention this but good to see that you have it working in 'ground mode'. Look forward to seeing more on your website once it is back up and running.