Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand from the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud, whereas the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)! Alternatively, are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

I think its more fundamental than that.

I have a DigiTrack TruTrack fitted to mine and connected to a Garmin 796, previously a AVMAP EKP V, and it needed the RMB and RMC data from these to work. I’d have to check but I don’t think the GPS Pucks give out those messages.

If you have the manual then the 4800 baud is recommended so as not to overrun the input processing of messages and giving false steering.

The Pucks can be programmed as you say but you need to make sure that the new settings are retained, usually with an internal battery which if not retaining its change will lose the almanac and any changes over time as the battery deteriorates.

The TrueTrack needs RS232 at +/- 12v most pucks are 5v logic levels and won’t drive it.

f you are only using a puck I guess you are not using the track following from a GPS mode but wish to use the internal Magnetometer to steer a magnetic track and you will need the RMB and RMS messages from the GPS to set it up to start with after that it should just work from the internal magnetometer.

Alan

Quote:
On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:06, Davidcripps <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand from the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud, whereas the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)! Alternatively, are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

David, this is a link to the Garmin GPS18x if you have not already seen it: https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPS_18x_Tech_Specs.pdf

The device only outputs the RMC position message and not the RMB tracking message.

There are also three variants and the 18x 5Hz according to the manual is a 0-12v signal output where as standard RS232 is +/- 12v swing.

Bottom line - not sure I can help further.

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Alan.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. You clearly know a lot about this!

I was not planning to link the AP to follow a flight track which I had pre-programmed into a GPS as I only use SkyDemon on an iPad for GPS navigation, and that has no output capability (as far as I know). However I was planning to use the AP’s ‘controller display’ to manually input the GPS track I wanted and for the AP to get its reference about whether to turn or not, from a dedicated GPS feed, which is where the idea of the puck came in (since the pucks looked small and neat). I hadn’t planned to get it to follow a magnetic heading using the AP’s own magnetometer (unless I’m missing something here - why would it then need a GPS if it’s just controlling to a magnetic heading that it senses itself ?)

However, it seems that the pucks won’t (easily) give me what the AP needs to steer a manually inputted GPS track.

Do you think my not-currently-used-and-rather-clunky Skymap IIIC might give the GPS output required for the AP to follow a manually inputted desired track?

Many thanks for all your advice.

David

Quote:
On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:29, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

I think its more fundamental than that.

I have a DigiTrack TruTrack fitted to mine and connected to a Garmin 796, previously a AVMAP EKP V, and it needed the RMB and RMC data from these to work. I’d have to check but I don’t think the GPS Pucks give out those messages.

If you have the manual then the 4800 baud is recommended so as not to overrun the input processing of messages and giving false steering.

The Pucks can be programmed as you say but you need to make sure that the new settings are retained, usually with an internal battery which if not retaining its change will lose the almanac and any changes over time as the battery deteriorates.

The TrueTrack needs RS232 at +/- 12v most pucks are 5v logic levels and won’t drive it.

f you are only using a puck I guess you are not using the track following from a GPS mode but wish to use the internal Magnetometer to steer a magnetic track and you will need the RMB and RMS messages from the GPS to set it up to start with after that it should just work from the internal magnetometer.

Alan

> On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:06, Davidcripps <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:
>

> I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand from the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud, whereas the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)! Alternatively, are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!
>

> Read this topic online here:

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Not familiar with the Skymap but worth checking if it has a sérail port and the ability to send the NEMA message set then worth investigating.

If that doesn’t work then borrow a Garmin 196 or 295 with a data cable and that will certainly get you the data you need to set up the AP so it can then default to the internal magnetometer.

The internal magnometer needs the initial GPS output, with the track data, to allow it to set up the compass cardinals after which it will then allow AP to follow input track on front panel without the need for the GPS data If you follow the setting up in the manual you don’t need a route in the GPS.

One of the many reasons I don’t use a tablet GPS inflight is that I have the ability to display traffic, Drive the AP and also input frequencies direct into the Com without fiddling though the 8.33 knob twiddling.

You could just buy a second hand GPS to replace the skymap which would at least let you use the AP how you want. Plenty old Garmin stuff around at not much money.

When you have it fitted let me know and I could fly over and assist, I have an old 196 which would get you sorted if you cannot find one. I fly out of Brimpton.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 7 Nov 2022, at 18:48, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

> [...]

> Alan
>

>>> On 7 Nov 2022, at 17:06, Davidcripps <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand from the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud, whereas the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)! Alternatively, are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Thanks Alan and Peter.

Seems from what Peter has said in his reply, the Skymap III would work.

I was only thinking that I would manually input the track required into the AP in order to avoid having to program another GPS device with my intended route (since the primary route plot is on SD). I don’t think there is yet an easy way to take a route from SD on an iPad and then load it into a Garmin handheld device.

Even if I don’t use a preprogrammed route, but instead manually enter the track required, would it fly more accurately with a constant GPS feed of what track it’s actually on rather than getting its reference from a magnetic sensor (due to influence of other electrical devices on magnetometer)?

Alan, I might well take you up on your offer of helping with the set up when I get to that point (AP installation is a winter project back at home) and your 196 might be a better use of space than the Skymap (which is no longer in the panel). Brimpton is not far from the IOW.

Many thanks for all the advice.

David
G-BWJH

Quote:
On 7 Nov 2022, at 19:18, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

>> Alan
>>>
>>> I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand from the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud, whereas the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)! Alternatively, are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!

Rowland_Carson

Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham, England

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

On 2022-11-07, at 22:29, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

Quote:
I don’t think there is yet an easy way to take a route from SD on an iPad and then load it into a Garmin handheld device.

David - I agree with your conclusion, that there is no way to get GPS routes from an iPad to a Garmin handheld.

There may be another possibility for you. My setup (not yet tested in flight!) is also a TruTrak wing leveller, driven from a Garmin GPSmap 296. I run the SkyDemon app on my Mac Mini with an M1 chip, which allows me to install and run (some) iPad apps. I can plan a route on the Mac and export a GPS file (.GPX) from SkyDemon, and then transfer it to the 296 using the LoadMyTracks app and a USB-serial adaptor. If you’re not a Mac person, I understand that there is a SkyDemon app for Windows but know nothing about it.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Thanks, Rowland.

Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesn’t have the M1/2 chip and I don’t have a PC, but you’re right that this would work for file transfer.

When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you easily ‘override’ or cancel that route and choose a different track, but yet continue to use the 296 to provide GPS location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming the 296 in flight with a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to just punching in a new track number to the Trutrak box?

David

Quote:
On 7 Nov 2022, at 23:20, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2022-11-07, at 22:29, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t think there is yet an easy way to take a route from SD on an iPad and then load it into a Garmin handheld device.

David - I agree with your conclusion, that there is no way to get GPS routes from an iPad to a Garmin handheld.

There may be another possibility for you. My setup (not yet tested in flight!) is also a TruTrak wing leveller, driven from a Garmin GPSmap 296. I run the SkyDemon app on my Mac Mini with an M1 chip, which allows me to install and run (some) iPad apps. I can plan a route on the Mac and export a GPS file (.GPX) from SkyDemon, and then transfer it to the 296 using the LoadMyTracks app and a USB-serial adaptor. If you’re not a Mac person, I understand that there is a SkyDemon app for Windows but know nothing about it.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Rowland_Carson

Joined: 04 Jul 2008
Location: Cheltenham, England

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

On 2022-11-08, at 09:06, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

Quote:
Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesn’t have the M1/2 chip and I don’t have a PC, but you’re right that this would work for file transfer.

When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you easily ‘override’ or cancel that route and choose a different track, but yet continue to use the 296 to provide GPS location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming the 296 in flight with a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to just punching in a new track number to the Trutrak box?

David - as I said, my aircraft is not yet flying so I can’t answer that properly, but I think your assumption is probably right. I have flown pre-programmed tracks with the Garmin GPSmap296 in C150s etc (but obviously not coupled to an autopilot!). I try not to fiddle with tracks on the GPS in the air but revert to the chart if I have to divert from the plan.

I’ve had another thought - I think you should be able to save a SkyDemon GPX file to iCloud on the iPad (Files app) and then pull it off iCloud onto your Mac for transfer. Still need the USB-serial cable and LoadMyTracks.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Thanks, Rowland. I’ll investigate that route to save and download a gpx file.
Quote:
On 8 Nov 2022, at 16:32, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2022-11-08, at 09:06, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesn’t have the M1/2 chip and I don’t have a PC, but you’re right that this would work for file transfer.
>
> When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you easily ‘override’ or cancel that route and choose a different track, but yet continue to use the 296 to provide GPS location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming the 296 in flight with a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to just punching in a new track number to the Trutrak box?

David - as I said, my aircraft is not yet flying so I can’t answer that properly, but I think your assumption is probably right. I have flown pre-programmed tracks with the Garmin GPSmap296 in C150s etc (but obviously not coupled to an autopilot!). I try not to fiddle with tracks on the GPS in the air but revert to the chart if I have to divert from the plan.

I’ve had another thought - I think you should be able to save a SkyDemon GPX file to iCloud on the iPad (Files app) and then pull it off iCloud onto your Mac for transfer. Still need the USB-serial cable and LoadMyTracks.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

I think I can help on this one and having flown with mine connected to the Garmin 796 then I do the following.
I plan on a Tablet, RunwayHD, and get my Wx, NOTAM etc sorted. I don’t transfer anything direct o the 796. I could use the Garmin Pilot app but, I don’t have an active subscription, then you can do it through bluetooth but the 196 and 295 models don’t have that.

I manually enter the plan into the 796, fairly easy to do as its touch screen etc and i have the CAA chart option on mine so its displays wither the Jepp Chart or the CAA Chart for the UK.

to Engage the Trutrack, apply power and display lights up with words OFF on the display. There are three controls on/off and the a left ↶ and right↷ arrows.

Push the On/Off button and the trutrackk engages and tracks the current with the display changing to the magnetic track, say 270. The display willl then alternate flashing the track digits and then -F- meaning is has a track from the GPS. To engage push the two arrows simultaneous and the trutrack will then turn the aircraft to engage the gps track and maintain.

If you want to disengage the GPS track, push one of the arrows and it will then display the current magnetic track and maintain that. To alter that by using the left or right arrows to step to turn left or right onto new track, say 260, to avoid something, and then if you want to re-engage and the -F- symbol is alternating the the display push two arrows simultaneously and the trutrac will then turn the aircraft to re-engage the GPS track. It plans to join a track at about 30deg.

If you want to disengage the trutrack altogether then push the on/off button or, if you have wired it, the alternate button you can connect though the rear connector wiring - most people have this on the control column for rapid disengage. then you are bak to manually flying with no input drive from the APP servos.

That’s best description I can do on email but if Wx and runway conditions allow this then could easily demonstrate in a flight.

Alan
Quote:
On 8 Nov 2022, at 16:28, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)>On 2022-11-08, at 09:06, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com (dpc(at)knightonweb.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesn’t have the M1/2 chip and I don’t have a PC, but you’re right that this would work for file transfer.When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you easily ‘override’ or cancel that route and choose a different track, but yet continue to use the 296 to provide GPS location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming the 296 in flight with a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to just punching in a new track number to the Trutrak box?
David - as I said, my aircraft is not yet flying so I can’t answer that properly, but I think your assumption is probably right. I have flown pre-programmed tracks with the Garmin GPSmap296 in C150s etc (but obviously not coupled to an autopilot!). I try not to fiddle with tracks on the GPS in the air but revert to the chart if I have to divert from the plan.I’ve had another thought - I think you should be able to save a SkyDemon GPX file to iCloud on the iPad (Files app) and then pull it off iCloud onto your Mac for transfer. Still need the USB-serial cable and LoadMyTracks.in friendshipRowland| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com (rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com)> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carsonhttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-Listhttp://wiki.matronics.com

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

The TruTrak will fly a track slaved from a 296. But it won't fly routes very well, because the turns will be overshot. Eventually it will get back on to the track of the selected route, by which time airspace may have been bust!
The older Skymap referred to in the OP should also work with the TruTrak and has pre-emptive steering (i.e. it has an algorithm that anticipates the turn to better maintain a route, on the later Bendix Kings this was adjustable in the settings) so should be better suited to following a route.
I found that other non-aviation Garmin GPSs (e.g. eTrex) also worked for basic guidance, so long as it had the NMEA output.

Duncan McF.

Quote:

On 2022-11-08, at 09:06, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately my Mac is an older one that doesn’t have the M1/2 chip and I don’t have a PC, but you’re right that this would work for file transfer.
>
> When you use your GPSmap 296 to fly a route with the Trutrak, can you easily ‘override’ or cancel that route and choose a different track, but yet continue to use the 296 to provide GPS location/track info to the Trutrak? Reprogramming the 296 in flight with a temporary new track, would seem fiddly compared to just punching in a new track number to the Trutrak box?

David - as I said, my aircraft is not yet flying so I can’t answer that properly, but I think your assumption is probably right. I have flown pre-programmed tracks with the Garmin GPSmap296 in C150s etc (but obviously not coupled to an autopilot!). I try not to fiddle with tracks on the GPS in the air but revert to the chart if I have to divert from the plan.

I’ve had another thought - I think you should be able to save a SkyDemon GPX file to iCloud on the iPad (Files app) and then pull it off iCloud onto your Mac for transfer. Still need the USB-serial cable and LoadMyTracks.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Davidcripps

Joined: 09 Aug 2021

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Alan

Just so I am clear, does the Trutrak need the GPS track data that it uses to ‘set up the compass cardinals’ every time it is switched on or is this just a one-off requirementduring initial commissioning?

If the latter then that would mean I wouldn’t have to have the GPS permanently installed?

Maybe that’s too much to hope for…!

> [...]

>> Alan

>>> I have a pre-used Digitrak Trutrak AP that I plan to fit to our Europa. Are there any experts out there that can tell me whether the Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz puck that I have been offered, will work as a feed to it? As far as I can understand from the various manuals, the Trutrak can only be set up to 9600 baud, whereas the default baud in the 18x 5Hz is 19200. It seems possible to reprogram the 18x 5Hz to 9600 baud but the process looks very complicated for those of us not used to Garmin code (and who also don't have a PC with serial port!)! Alternatively, are there any simpler 'plug and play' GPS 'pucks' that have been found to work well with the Trutrak? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

According to the manual after calibration - I have just recalibrated mine- it will then continue to use the internal magnetometer when the GPS is disconnected/failed.

I need to test that concept when the Wx and the state of the strip lets me fly again.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 9 Nov 2022, at 15:53, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

> [...]

>>> If you have the manual then the 4800 baud is recommended so as not to overrun the input processing of messages and giving false steering.
>>>
>>> The Pucks can be programmed as you say but you need to make sure that the new settings are retained, usually with an internal battery which if not retaining its change will lose the almanac and any changes over time as the battery deteriorates.
>>>
>>> The TrueTrack needs RS232 at +/- 12v most pucks are 5v logic levels and won’t drive it.
>>>
>>> f you are only using a puck I guess you are not using the track following from a GPS mode but wish to use the internal Magnetometer to steer a magnetic track and you will need the RMB and RMS messages from the GPS to set it up to start with after that it should just work from the internal magnetometer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Thanks, Alan. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Assuming the magnetometer is not affected too badly by electronics around it, then using it to fly a simple, manually inputted magnetic track, without it requiring any further GPS input, would make life very simple, especially as in the U.K. at the moment magnetic and true tracks are virtually interchangeable.

Is Brimpton waterlogged at the moment?

David

Quote:
On 9 Nov 2022, at 16:14, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

>>> However, it seems that the pucks won’t (easily) give me what the AP needs to steer a manually inputted GPS track.
>>>
>>> Do you think my not-currently-used-and-rather-clunky Skymap IIIC might give the GPS output required for the AP to follow a manually inputted desired track?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

We’ve had three inches of rain this month plus about four inches in last week of October.

Going down tomorrow to check on aircraft and airfield.

I routinely fly with a track set in AP without a route on GPS but have to pull it (gps) out of panel inflight to check failure mode.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 9 Nov 2022, at 18:30, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

Thanks, Alan. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Assuming the magnetometer is not affected too badly by electronics around it, then using it to fly a simple, manually inputted magnetic track, without it requiring any further GPS input, would make life very simple, especially as in the U.K. at the moment magnetic and true tracks are virtually interchangeable.

Is Brimpton waterlogged at the moment?

David

> On 9 Nov 2022, at 16:14, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>

> According to the manual after calibration - I have just recalibrated mine- it will then continue to use the internal magnetometer when the GPS is disconnected/failed.
>
> I need to test that concept when the Wx and the state of the strip lets me fly again.
>
> Alan
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>> On 9 Nov 2022, at 15:53, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:
>>

>> Alan
>>
>> Just so I am clear, does the Trutrak need the GPS track data that it uses to ‘set up the compass cardinals’ every time it is switched on or is this just a one-off requirementduring initial commissioning?
>>
>> If the latter then that would mean I wouldn’t have to have the GPS permanently installed?
>>
>> Maybe that’s too much to hope for…!
>>
>> David

>>> Not familiar with the Skymap but worth checking if it has a sérail port and the ability to send the NEMA message set then worth investigating.
>>>
>>> If that doesn’t work then borrow a Garmin 196 or 295 with a data cable and that will certainly get you the data you need to set up the AP so it can then default to the internal magnetometer.
>>>
>>> The internal magnometer needs the initial GPS output, with the track data, to allow it to set up the compass cardinals after which it will then allow AP to follow input track on front panel without the need for the GPS data If you follow the setting up in the manual you don’t need a route in the GPS.
>>>
>>> One of the many reasons I don’t use a tablet GPS inflight is that I have the ability to display traffic, Drive the AP and also input frequencies direct into the Com without fiddling though the 8.33 knob twiddling.
>>>
>>> You could just buy a second hand GPS to replace the skymap which would at least let you use the AP how you want. Plenty old Garmin stuff around at not much money.
>>>
>>> When you have it fitted let me know and I could fly over and assist, I have an old 196 which would get you sorted if you cannot find one. I fly out of Brimpton.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Digitrak will show a different display if it has defaulted to magnetometer input.
Personally, I've found the magnetometer function to be pretty useless, irrespective of calibration; maybe too much interference.

As an aside, I'd be interested to hear whether others experience misfunctioning during winter dampness; mine wouldn't work in winter until about 1/2 hour in to a flight when things had warmed up. Last year the circuit boards were dusted and sprayed with silicone and the problem seems to be cured (for now at least).
Also often experienced is an offset of 3 or 4 degrees between displayed track and actual track (both referenced to GPS).

Duncan McF.
Quote:
On 09 November 2022 at 16:10 Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

>>> However, it seems that the pucks won’t (easily) give me what the AP needs to steer a manually inputted GPS track.
>>>
>>> Do you think my not-currently-used-and-rather-clunky Skymap IIIC might give the GPS output required for the AP to follow a manually inputted desired track?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Thanks, Duncan.

Interesting observations re magnetometer-driven track following and also the effects of damp/winter!

I’m being rather slow here but I’m still not clear: If we want the Trutrak to control by GPS input rather than by it’s own magnetometer input (which seems to be ‘wobbly’), do we need to have a desired ROUTE programmed into the GPS, or can the Trutrak just use the actual GPS track flown as its input (or maybe the GPS can’t provide actual track info without a desired one first being programmed in?)

The mysteries of GPS NMEA output data are eluding me!

David

Quote:
On 10 Nov 2022, at 09:44, D McFadyean <ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net> wrote:

Digitrak will show a different display if it has defaulted to magnetometer input.
Personally, I've found the magnetometer function to be pretty useless, irrespective of calibration; maybe too much interference.

As an aside, I'd be interested to hear whether others experience misfunctioning during winter dampness; mine wouldn't work in winter until about 1/2 hour in to a flight when things had warmed up. Last year the circuit boards were dusted and sprayed with silicone and the problem seems to be cured (for now at least).
Also often experienced is an offset of 3 or 4 degrees between displayed track and actual track (both referenced to GPS).

Duncan McF.
> On 09 November 2022 at 16:10 Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>

> According to the manual after calibration - I have just recalibrated mine- it will then continue to use the internal magnetometer when the GPS is disconnected/failed.
>
> I need to test that concept when the Wx and the state of the strip lets me fly again.
>
> Alan
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>> On 9 Nov 2022, at 15:53, Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:
>>

>> Alan
>>
>> Just so I am clear, does the Trutrak need the GPS track data that it uses to ‘set up the compass cardinals’ every time it is switched on or is this just a one-off requirementduring initial commissioning?
>>
>> If the latter then that would mean I wouldn’t have to have the GPS permanently installed?
>>
>> Maybe that’s too much to hope for…!
>>
>> David
>>
>>> On 7 Nov 2022, at 19:18, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>> Not familiar with the Skymap but worth checking if it has a sérail port and the ability to send the NEMA message set then worth investigating.
>>>
>>> If that doesn’t work then borrow a Garmin 196 or 295 with a data cable and that will certainly get you the data you need to set up the AP so it can then default to the internal magnetometer.
>>>
>>> The internal magnometer needs the initial GPS output, with the track data, to allow it to set up the compass cardinals after which it will then allow AP to follow input track on front panel without the need for the GPS data If you follow the setting up in the manual you don’t need a route in the GPS.
>>>
>>> One of the many reasons I don’t use a tablet GPS inflight is that I have the ability to display traffic, Drive the AP and also input frequencies direct into the Com without fiddling though the 8.33 knob twiddling.
>>>
>>> You could just buy a second hand GPS to replace the skymap which would at least let you use the AP how you want. Plenty old Garmin stuff around at not much money.
>>>
>>> When you have it fitted let me know and I could fly over and assist, I have an old 196 which would get you sorted if you cannot find one. I fly out of Brimpton.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Digitrak only needs basic positional information from the GPS on a regular basis. It will use this information to fly the track that has been set on the Digitrak.
If a route is programmed in to the GPS, it will fly that too (with different commands being set at the Digitrak control head to enable this), so long as the GPS is also putting out the crosstrack error signal; not all of them do.

Duncan McF.
Quote:
On 10 November 2022 at 10:31 Dpc <dpc(at)knightonweb.com> wrote:

Thanks, Duncan.

Interesting observations re magnetometer-driven track following and also the effects of damp/winter!

I’m being rather slow here but I’m still not clear: If we want the Trutrak to control by GPS input rather than by it’s own magnetometer input (which seems to be ‘wobbly’), do we need to have a desired ROUTE programmed into the GPS, or can the Trutrak just use the actual GPS track flown as its input (or maybe the GPS can’t provide actual track info without a desired one first being programmed in?)

The mysteries of GPS NMEA output data are eluding me!

David

> On 10 Nov 2022, at 09:44, D McFadyean <ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net> wrote:
>

> Digitrak will show a different display if it has defaulted to magnetometer input.
> Personally, I've found the magnetometer function to be pretty useless, irrespective of calibration; maybe too much interference.
>
> As an aside, I'd be interested to hear whether others experience misfunctioning during winter dampness; mine wouldn't work in winter until about 1/2 hour in to a flight when things had warmed up. Last year the circuit boards were dusted and sprayed with silicone and the problem seems to be cured (for now at least).
> Also often experienced is an offset of 3 or 4 degrees between displayed track and actual track (both referenced to GPS).
>
> Duncan McF.
>> On 09 November 2022 at 16:10 Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> According to the manual after calibration - I have just recalibrated mine- it will then continue to use the internal magnetometer when the GPS is disconnected/failed.
>>
>> I need to test that concept when the Wx and the state of the strip lets me fly again.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Alan
>>>
>>> Just so I am clear, does the Trutrak need the GPS track data that it uses to ‘set up the compass cardinals’ every time it is switched on or is this just a one-off requirementduring initial commissioning?
>>>
>>> If the latter then that would mean I wouldn’t have to have the GPS permanently installed?
>>>
>>> Maybe that’s too much to hope for…!
>>>
>>> David

Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Trutrak AP with Garmin GPS 18x 5Hz Reply with quote

Ok I’ve had a. Ha ce to fly mine with the GPS feed off.

As Duncan says below the display drops to show -|—|- but maintains the track last set or you are holding when you switch it on.

The are no heading digits on the display so you will need use your compass/DI to show that.

If you press the left or right ⤵️ buttons then you can alter the track the AP is following either left or right and a number appears which if you press the button you can increase or decrease after the AP locks on the numbers disappear and you have the -|—|- on the display.

Useful if you have a GPS failure but wouldn’t want that as normal mode of operation so my suggestion is you need a GPS feed with the right NEMA message set to get the most out of the AP and the ability for it to follow a track you have programmed in is a bonus.

One word of caution, I have come across some GPS that don’t put out any messages, even the position message for driving a Transponder ADS-B output, unless there is a track in the GPS. That was how some of the older version worked, GARMIN 430 and possible the early AVMAP were guilty of that.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote: