The culprit

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

PXL_20220716_164328200.jpg
 Filesize:  1.6 MB
 Viewed:  2048 Time(s)

PXL_20220716_164328200.jpg

Back to top
freddythek10(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Will…Can you describe the location of the crack in the tank?…F.

Quote:
On Jul 16, 2022, at 3:32 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com> wrote:

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246
<PXL_20220716_164328200.jpg>

spcialeffects

Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Kent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: The culprit Reply with quote

And is it possible to scale the photo down to get it into a page so you can View the whole thing?

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Top "shelf" horizontal part....just to the right ot the reinforcement which was stuck pretty hard.

In other words exactly where youd expect stress.
The tank material is in pretty good shape.    However when i put in the tank many years ago i followed the manual.  It is glued in very well.....very well Sad

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022, 23:48 Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com (freddythek10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com (freddythek10(at)gmail.com)>

Will…Can you describe the location of the crack in the tank?…F.

> On Jul 16, 2022, at 3:32 PM, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com (wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
>

> William Daniell
> +1 786 878 0246
> <PXL_20220716_164328200.jpg>

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Mallard

Joined: 22 Oct 2019
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Will, Xmas before last I had a leak which turned out to be a fuel hose that had been sawn through by the rudder cable. During the course of asking for help here on the forum & before I found the cause, someone said that their tank developed a crack & he cut an access opening on the top big enough to get 2 hands in, to weld the crack.

Would this solution be easier for you, rather than removing the complete tank?

Cheers
James

Get Outlook for Android

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Seat of my pants
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

James,
What did you use to "weld" the tank?

Duncan McF.
Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Mallard

Joined: 22 Oct 2019
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Duncan,
It wasn't me who had a cracked tank. I'll have to search through the forum to find out who it was and get back to you.

James

Get Outlook for Android

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Seat of my pants
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Everything now ripped out.  What a job.  So much for hdpe not sticking to epoxy!   The lay up delaminated rather than release the hdpe.

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

spcialeffects

Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Kent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: The culprit Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VJf1a6RhKxc

Fuel tank repair

Mallard

Joined: 22 Oct 2019
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Will,
The Europa owner Dave Disney gave me the following (in red) info regarding the work he did on his fuel tank.

I had to cut a hole in the top of the tank to gain access so I cut some of the material I cut out into strips to use as 'welding rods'. I used a small hot air gun to soften the tank and rods to complete the welding process. It was a bit of a pain to do and I had to develop a repair scheme for the LAA which included strengthening the area between the headrests where I cut the access hole.
In many ways I'm glad I did the repair this way. The LAA specify that I must remove the tank top panel every annual for inspection. This gives me access to inside the tank so I can check the welded area and clean out any debris from the tank. If I ever fitted a new tank, I would cut an access to it in the same way so I can inspect the tank internally.

Regards
James

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Seat of my pants
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Interesting. So rather like welding a polyethylene landfill liner, which process is Environment Agency approved!

Duncan McF.
Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]--> On 18 July 2022 at 19:23 James <james(at)kingdom.ie> wrote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:47 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

I wonder whether the fluorination process enables a good epoxy to plastic bond? My early (non fluorinated) tank debonded from the supports at an early stage, so 'floats' about with (possibly) less stress points. Or was yours also not the later tank?

Duncan mcf
Quote:

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer noreferrer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://matronics.com/contribution
===========

Fred Klein

Joined: 26 Mar 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm a date when kits with the fluorinatied tanks began to be shipped from the factory?
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2022, at 2:46 AM, D McFadyean <ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net (ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:

I wonder whether the fluorination process enables a good epoxy to plastic bond? My early (non fluorinated) tank debonded from the supports at an early stage, so 'floats' about with (possibly) less stress points. Or was yours also not the later tank?
Duncan mcf

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

My kit was bought in 2003.   Given the state of the tank i am reasonably sure that if i hadnt glued it in place there would not have been an issue.

The plastic was definitely not brittle.
Will

William Daniell
+1 786 878 0246

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022, 20:17 fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com) <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Can anyone confirm a date when kits with the fluorinatied tanks began to be shipped from the factory?

Quote:
On Jul 19, 2022, at 2:46 AM, D McFadyean <ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net (ami-mcfadyean(at)talktalk.net)> wrote:

I wonder whether the fluorination process enables a good epoxy to plastic bond? My early (non fluorinated) tank debonded from the supports at an early stage, so 'floats' about with (possibly) less stress points. Or was yours also not the later tank?
Duncan mcf

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: The culprit Reply with quote

Dunno, but my 2001 was reportedly factory fluorinated, but after i had it “redone” the surface finish was markedly different (frosted)…. So there are degrees i would assume fwiw.
PeteZ

Quote: