Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low profile connector plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Low profile connector plug Reply with quote

I have installed a new tail light in my rudder and want to improve the connector.
Previously I had the regular Whelen strobe & position moles connectors which made removing the rudder particularly difficult.
I have fitted an LED strobe/position light so have more flexibility in what can be used.
It has 4 terminals – strobe power, position power, ground & strobe sync – I’m using 20 & 22g wire.
The rudder doesn’t have to be removed often but I don’t want to have to cut anything other than the odd cable tie.
I have a 3/8” conduit that penetrates the stern post – the terminals or connector should pass through that.
Currently the favourite is one of these https://uk.farnell.com/cinch-connectivity-solutions/4-140/terminal-block-barrier-4pos-8awg/dp/1608627 with ring terminals.
Does anyone have any easily available (in Europe) alternatives?

Peter

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
stuart(at)stuarthutchison

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Low profile connector plug Reply with quote

Plenty of 4-pin Molex connectors out there or you could just use a 9-pin D-sub connector.  If you don’t have access to a D-sub pin crimper, just get connector halves with solder pins and be sure to use heat shrink for strain relief.  The pattern is universal, so easy to make a plate mount for the airframe side., then you can just connect the rudder and secure with a cable tie or use backshells with screw locks.
Regards, Stuart 
Quote:
On 13 Mar 2022, at 8:35 pm, Peter Pengilly <Peter(at)sportingaero.com (Peter(at)sportingaero.com)> wrote:
I have installed a new tail light in my rudder and want to improve the connector. Previously I had the regular Whelen strobe & position moles connectors which made removing the rudder particularly difficult. I have fitted an LED strobe/position light so have more flexibility in what can be used.  It has 4 terminals – strobe power, position power, ground & strobe sync – I’m using 20 & 22g wire. The rudder doesn’t have to be removed often but I don’t want to have to cut anything other than the odd cable tie.  I have a 3/8” conduit that penetrates the stern post – the terminals or connector should pass through that. Currently the favourite is one of these https://uk.farnell.com/cinch-connectivity-solutions/4-140/terminal-block-barrier-4pos-8awg/dp/1608627 with ring terminals.

Peter

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

werner schneider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Low profile connector plug Reply with quote

Peter,

I would go CPC connectors, but you might need another tool for crimping:

https://uk.farnell.com/amp-te-connectivity/206061-1/circular-connector-rcpt-11-4-panel/dp/589688?st=cpc

there are plenty of different styles for that you might have to dig into it.

Or use a DB9 and remove the pins to get the cables through the conduit?

good luck

Werner

On 13.03.2022 10:35, Peter Pengilly wrote:

Quote:
(at)font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}(at)font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0cm; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:#0563C1; text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I have installed a new tail light in my rudder and want to improve the connector.
Previously I had the regular Whelen strobe & position moles connectors which made removing the rudder particularly difficult.
I have fitted an LED strobe/position light so have more flexibility in what can be used.
It has 4 terminals – strobe power, position power, ground & strobe sync – I’m using 20 & 22g wire.
The rudder doesn’t have to be removed often but I don’t want to have to cut anything other than the odd cable tie.
I have a 3/8” conduit that penetrates the stern post – the terminals or connector should pass through that.
Currently the favourite is one of these https://uk.farnell.com/cinch-connectivity-solutions/4-140/terminal-block-barrier-4pos-8awg/dp/1608627 with ring terminals.

Peter

art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Low profile connector plug Reply with quote

Peter,
I used automobile trailer wiring plugs for my fuel tank senders, which only required three wires. The plugs are cheap, virtually indestructible, and readily available anywhere should I ever need to replace one. You can see my installation in the photo at the bottom of this blog post.
I used the flat kind, like this https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Hopkins/HM48235.html
but similar sturdy connectors are available in several form factors. Check the aviation aisle of your local auto parts store.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 4:51 AM Peter Pengilly <Peter(at)sportingaero.com (Peter(at)sportingaero.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Peter

--
My blog: CheerfulCurmudgeon.com
The good is already there. Practicing gratitude means being fully aware of the good that is already yours.

Ceengland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Low profile connector plug Reply with quote

On 3/13/2022 4:35 AM, Peter Pengilly wrote:

Quote:
(at)font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}(at)font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0cm; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:#0563C1; text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Peter
Others have mentioned subD connectors. Assuming color coded wires... If you use the machined pins, you can crimp male/female pairs for each wire, and instead of using the housing & shell, just slide a short length of shrink tubing over each joined pair & shrink it. They'll never come apart on their own, and if you need to remove the rudder, just slit the shrink tubing. I think Bob has a cookbook drawing on the AEC website.

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

chaskuss(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Low profile connector plug Reply with quote

Charlie beat me to making his suggestion, so I'll second it. Be sure to stagger where you make these connections, so that you don't have a big wad of connectors in on place to get through to hole in the rudder bottom and the vertical stabilizer spar.

On Sunday, March 13, 2022, 09:15:02 PM EDT, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On 3/13/2022 4:35 AM, Peter Pengilly wrote:

Quote:
_filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv3250331820 p.yiv3250331820MsoNormal, #yiv3250331820 li.yiv3250331820MsoNormal, #yiv3250331820 div.yiv3250331820MsoNormal {margin:0cm;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv3250331820 a:link, #yiv3250331820 span.yiv3250331820MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv3250331820 span.yiv3250331820EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv3250331820 .yiv3250331820MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv3250331820 div.yiv3250331820WordSection1 {}

Peter
Others have mentioned subD connectors. Assuming color coded wires... If you use the machined pins, you can crimp male/female pairs for each wire, and instead of using the housing & shell, just slide a short length of shrink tubing over each joined pair & shrink it. They'll never come apart on their own, and if you need to remove the rudder, just slit the shrink tubing. I think Bob has a cookbook drawing on the AEC website.

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: