Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re : Question about cruise altitudes with a 912ULS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwigney(at)windstream.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re : Question about cruise altitudes with a 912ULS Reply with quote

<![endif]--> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--> <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";} <![endif]-->Hi Chris,

I have been interested to see the comments regarding running rich at altitude. I have 1100 hours on my XS mono, N262WF, with the 912ULS engine. The engine is unmodified and I have had zero issues with running rich during that time. Also the engine has never missed one beat.
A few comments :-
  • My flying is typically a mix of recreational trips and visits to local flyins plus flights to Sun N Fun (8 times) and Oshkosh (10 times). Local flying is usually done at part throttle and averages about 4 gallons an hour door to door. My longer airshow trips are normally done by climbing to get to smooth air, usually above 5,000 to 6,000 ft., I then set full throttle at 5500 rpm with my Whirlwind C/S prop. In the summer, I often have to fly higher to stay above the tops of towering cumulus and occasionally I get to 11,500 ft.
  • During my early test flying, I did a check on my Service Ceiling. I loaded the plane up to gross with a full tank and borrowed some oxygen gear. At 16,000 ft., the plane was still going up at 200 ft/min so I was happy with that.
  • The bottom line is that I have had absolutely no problems with rich running. The engine has never missed a beat and the CHT's and EGT;'s have always been in spec. The condition of the plugs at routine replacement has always been good. At the last condition inspection, my cylinder leakdown numbers were 80/80 on 3 cylinders and 78/80 on the fourth.
  • I did consider installing a Hacman package a long time ago when I saw some discussion on the subject. After consideration I chose not to do this due to the high amount of administrative work and knob twiddling required for this to run satisfactorily. It also will kill the engine if leaned out too far and that was unacceptable for me..
  • With my C/S prop, all my flying is done at rpm's between 5,000 and 5,500.
  • I note that my Rotax Operator’s Manual specifies - “The engine allows operation with fully open throttle over the whole r.p.m. range without limitation. But full throttle performance above 5,500 r.p.m. is limited to 5 minutes.” I comply with that. I also see nothing in the manual which suggests that rich running is a concern.
Cheers, John
Mooresville, North Carolina

Quote:

<![endif]-->

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

<![endif]-->

<![endif]-->

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";}

<![endif]-->Subject: Question about cruise altitudes with a 912ULS
From: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com> (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)

Dear Forum Members,
Quick question for those familiar with operating the Europa with the 912ULS engine: What would you consider would be the highest altitude for normal cruising with this engine. Read "normal" were the engine is not running overly rich and causing other issues such as fouled plugs?
Yesterday I did a fairly long cross-country around Florida (about 3.5 hours total) and on the return flight I was getting beat up by turbulence at 5,500 feet (can the Europa be rough on turbulence or what??).
I understand the 912 is still happy at 5,500 but what about higher altitudes. I put up with the turbulence. Rather silly since I could have just tried to go up to 7,500 feet) but not knowing if the engine starts running too rich to be happy I just put up with it.
Best Regards,
Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: