Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monowheel w/ GA Prop Speed Improvements - Conclusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Monowheel w/ GA Prop Speed Improvements - Conclusion Reply with quote

Dear Europa Friends,

I little while back I requested feedback from the group regarding performance numbers monowheel users are achieving (and I got one Tri) and I promised to provide results from such study. I do thank those that provide data, and although the data was a bit scarce and riddled with a little too much variability to provide a conclusion regarding monowheel performance, I will share the end result of my effort to get reasonable performance from my airplane.

First let me say: please, let me beg that we don't sidetrack the conversation on a discussion about operation of the 912ULS at lower RPMs again. That discussion resulted on very important info from Rotax coming to light that supports operation in the regimes discussed here (if proper fuel is used) but that conclusion has been reached on the previous thread.

So my conclusion: the monowheel can indeed achieve operational performance with a simple ground adjustable (GA) prop that will stamp a huge grin in your face worthy of all the Europa marketing hoopla Very Happy and without the need to install a CS prop. Of course, you can achieve even better performance with the CS prop but not all of us can afford one of those props (and besides, I don't want to install one until I am reasonably sure I am not going to ground loop my mono).

I went from a meager 110 KTAS (at) 23"/5200RPM cruise speed to consistent 135 KTAS with just changing the prop (to another GA prop, which prop revealed later). I have been flying the prop for a couple of weeks, including a couple of x-countries, and this speed is achieved at 23"/5200RPM 4500' (at 3000' I get around 133 KTAS at 24"/5200RPM) and T.O at 5200RPM with climb a little over 1500fpm(at)75KIAS. Today conditions in the ground were 25C/30.02"/hg. I was fairly light today with 10 gallons of fuel, me (164lbs), 20 lb ballast in copilot seat and empty weight of around 780lbs. My airplane doesn't have the speed fairings.

A few days back I did a few GPS runs at WOT and was getting around 145 KTAS at something like 5600-5700RPM

True airspeed was calculated using a three leg GPS cloverleaf run and the NTPS GPS_PEC spreadsheet for calculations.

Although not an objective observation, I think the takeoff run is a little longer with this new prop. But it is still short (next time will pay more attention). Although the RPM is steady at 5200RPM during the TO roll and initial climb, the prop loads up quickly during acceleration to 75 kts. But once at 75 kts the climb is so brisk that by the time I was a little past the end of our 4000' runway I had to level off at around 900' (class C on top of my field). Simply stunning. On cruise climb I power back to around 4800 RPM which gives me around 25-26"/hg and still get around 1000fpm climb.

Although haven't really pushed to the limits of Florida temps, my oil and CHT temps remain OK, a little over 210 for CHT and oil tends to run lower at around 195. Lower in the air.

So what prop did I use: I found a used DUC Swirl 68.1" Inconel three blade I got from a friend. According to him, it didn't do much for him on his LSA but what a difference is this prop making in my Europa.

So I am not making the claim that you don't need a CS prop. On the contrary, that would make the airplane even better and truly extract it's true performance. But again, for those of us that can't afford it, this is a viable option. As JohnFrance indicated to me (he gets similar performance with an EProp), the use of these modern GA props does require a bit of understanding of how they work as they do get this performance with some compromises. In my case the compromise is that the prop will load up in cruise climb and run at lower RPM. But once you accelerate to cruise speed the RPMs go up.

But heck, I am happy right now. On my last short x-country I had some tailwind and during descent I was showing around 155 knots GS. I know, that is cheating but it was sweet. My friends in their RVs took off maybe 5 minutes after me and I landed before them. Now they don't make fun of my Europa anymore.

Now, If I could only get this grin out of my face.... Smile

And I wonder what will happen when I install the speed mods, paint the airplane (on primer right now) and tweak it a bit more (or install one of those awesome CS props).

Best Regards,
Chris

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Peter pender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Monowheel w/ GA Prop Speed Improvements - Conclusion Reply with quote

Great write up Chris, congratulations on finding your performance. I'm only a few weeks away from liftoff and you have just given me a bit more confidence that I too might be able to achieve some decent performance.
Cheers Peter

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n7188u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Monowheel w/ GA Prop Speed Improvements - Conclusion Reply with quote

Best of luck Peter. The Europa is certainly a great airplane. It's starting to grow on me and I am really starting to enjoy it.

Chris

Peter pender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Monowheel w/ GA Prop Speed Improvements - Conclusion Reply with quote

Thanks Chris I had a classic nearly twenty years ago and thought it was a great little aircraft so heres hoping my memory has served me well.

Cheers Peter

Hitchflight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Monowheel w/ GA Prop Speed Improvements - Conclusion Reply with quote

Hi Chris

Well done! From successful test flight just a few months ago to continuing joy!

Let’s have a feature for the EF magazine, including envious RV faces

Wink
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: