Oil temp still too high

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
jonboede(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

My oil temperature continues to be too high during engine break-in despite attempts to mitigate it.

Engine: zero-time overhaul M-14P, standard compression Barrett pistons, auto harness, no other engine mods (on a stock CJ-6A)

Does have Criag's oil filter kit. Oil cooler recently overhauled by Pacific Coast.

Previously I had very high oil temps and high CHTs so I went from a 1.4mm suction jet to a 1.3mm suction jet and switched from Aeroshell 100 straight mineral to Aeroshell 120 straight mineral (which is quite hard to find!)

Ambient air temperature 36C/97F. Field elevation 500 MSL.

Engine start showed oil pressure at 5 bar with inlet temp 35C.

Take-off at 2900 RPM and full throttle resulted in CHTs climbing to 210C and oil inlet temp to 65C, outlet climbing to 85C, oil pressure 5 bar.

Settled in a little lower than pattern altitude due to high CHT then CHT came back to 160-170C at 650-700mm MAP. Oil pressure 4 bar at 2400 rpm.

Oil temp continued to climb to 75C inlet temp, 100-110C outlet temp, while CHT 160C, oil pressure 4 bar at 2400 rpm.

Two circuits in the pattern at ~650mm MAP, oil inlet temp stabilizes at 75-80C, outlet 110C, CHT 160C, oil pressure a little below 4 bar at 2400 rpm.

Landed, CHT now dropping, oil inlet still 75C outlet 100C, approximately 1000 rpm, oil pressure now below 1 bar.

Ideas?

Jon

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
heaysr(at)telus.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Are the gills confirmed to remain open in flight?
Royden

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 7:23 PM Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com (jonboede(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

n13472(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Have you checked the bypass relief valve to see if it is
correctly installed after the cooler was cleaned ?

Tom Elliott
CJ-6A NX63727
777 Quartz Ave
PMB 7004
Sandy Valley NV.
89019
Cell 541-297-5497
N13472(at)AOL.COM

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Yes, in fact I pulled the bypass out and put a few extra turns on the spring tension just to make sure. At this point I doubt it would open at an oil pressure less than 10 Kg/cm^2.

And the gill shutters are wide open. Changing the suction jet got the CHT under control but the oil temp remains a mystery.

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Tom Elliott <n13472(at)aol.com> wrote:

 <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
[...]

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Who overhauled the engine and have you discussed the problem with them?Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Royden Heays <heaysr(at)telus.net> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Richard Goode / Aerometal. Still scratching our collective head. They sent the smaller suction jets which helped the CHT. Richard thinks that since the engine is making much more power than a Chinese engine perhaps the Chinese oil cooler is struggling to get rid of the extra heat.
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

[...]

pennington.construction.i
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Jon
I fly and M14P powered CJ.  It has a Chinese oil cooler.  I replaced mine with a new one from Doug.  Mine was leaking.
The new cooler is very efficient.  Cools very well.  I flew this week on a 90 degree day.  Had the cooler door closed completely to get the temperature up.
Chinese cooler is not a problem.
Call anytime.
Mark Pennington
N621CJ.
804 399 4224

On Jun 20, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Royden Heays <heaysr(at)telus.net (heaysr(at)telus.net)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Could be. I know Richard’s/Aerometal’s engines are outstanding engines and Richard always takes care of his customers.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Jon
I fly and M14P powered CJ.  It has a Chinese oil cooler.  I replaced mine with a new one from Doug.  Mine was leaking.
The new cooler is very efficient.  Cools very well.  I flew this week on a 90 degree day.  Had the cooler door closed completely to get the temperature up.
Chinese cooler is not a problem.
Call when you a minute
Mark Pennington
N621CJ.
804 399 4224

On Jun 20, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com (jonboede(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Richard’s customer service is fantastic. I’m very happy with him and with the engine.

I’ve sent an order to Doug for a new cooler. Perhaps Pacific Coast didn’t do as great a job on my overhaul as I’d hoped.

Jon

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 5:36 PM, Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

[...]

hill(at)doctor-hill.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

I fly a CJ with a low time M-14P. In June here in central Arizona we’re seeing temps around 110°F on a routine basis. Bought a new, stock CJ oil cooler from Doug. Oil temps have been fine.
Warren

Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 3:42 PM, Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com (jonboede(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Richard’s customer service is fantastic. I’m very happy with him and with the engine.
I’ve sent an order to Doug for a new cooler. Perhaps Pacific Coast didn’t do as great a job on my overhaul as I’d hoped.

Jon
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 5:36 PM, Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:  Could be. I know Richard’s/Aerometal’s engines are outstanding engines and Richard always takes care of his customers. Sent from my iPhone
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Jon Boede <jonboede(at)hotmail.com (jonboede(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:  Richard Goode / Aerometal. Still scratching our collective head. They sent the smaller suction jets which helped the CHT. Richard thinks that since the engine is making much more power than a Chinese engine perhaps the Chinese oil cooler is struggling to get rid of the extra heat.
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net (dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:  Who overhauled the engine and have you discussed the problem with them? Dennis Sent from my iPhone
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Royden Heays <heaysr(at)telus.net (heaysr(at)telus.net)> wrote:  Are the gills confirmed to remain open in flight?

[...]

richard.goode(at)russiana
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

As I think it is clear, we – that is Aerometal, my partner in Hungary – overhauled Jon’s engine. As I think people know, we have a proper dynamometer, and every engine on which we work undergoes a formal test programme in which it is run for a minimum of three hours and every parameter recorded, and provided to the customer. Certainly, everything was absolutely normal in terms of oil temperature and pressure. As I believe Jon will confirm, we have been doing everything we can to help him – since he clearly has a problem, and my view is that those temperatures are definitely too high. But of course we are inevitably in the dark since we have no idea of what modifications were done to the Nanchang oil system to accommodate the M 14 engine. It would seem from what Jon has told us, everything is as it should be, but of course there is always potential if one is deviating from original, of something being strange.

In particular I was concerned about the oil cooler – I'd emphasise that we know very little about the Chinese oil cooler, but I do know that in the Russian cooler, which originally were fitted with a thermostatic valve, but this was very prone to sticking, and has been removed from virtually all aircraft. I understand that the Chinese oil cooler has a bypass valve operating on pressure, not temperature. But given that Jon has an engine delivering a lot more power than 285 hp, and so that much more heat, I suggested that he should remove all bypass aspects of the cooler, ensuring that all oil would have to go through the cooler.

But we are obviously in touch with him and will do what we can to sort out the issues.

Richard Goode

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

The temperature numbers you listed are pretty much what one should expect for the initial stages of break-in. The oil pressure, on the other hand, is not. Can you tell me the total time on the cylinders and whether they installed new cylinder barrels. If indeed the overhaul facility is a reputable organization you should have a multi page overhaul report detailing all new components and details of all the inspection, repair and restoration procedures complied with.

Best;

Walt

[...]

Harv

Joined: 01 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil temp still too high Reply with quote

Jon

Interesting issue.

With the stock Housai 285hp engine I find the stock oil cooler way too effective (although I would like a nice lightweight version that fits in the stock location as this one weighs 25kg!) and find its hard to maintain temps in the green even in the summer when we see 25degC (UK based).

Agree with Richard to disable the stock cooler bypass function (I wouldn't remove the bypass internals to do that as the oil likely to take the path of least resistance and go through the by-pass line and not through the cooling section) test the flow on the bench.

Are you still using the Chang's stock CHT and oil temp senders and gauges or a mix of bits from the YAK and Chang?

Couple of other things come to mind generally (you may have done these)

Are you able to do a infrared heat tester check on the CHT and oil cooler temps on the ground to see if they correlate to what the gauges are reading?

Do you have a way to test if the engine is running lean or not (rig up a basic stoichiometric tester and observe readings at different rpm points on a ground run?)

Cheers
Harv

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours