Tailwheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
wrk2win4u

Joined: 12 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Tailwheel Reply with quote

Hi List,

I have a Mark III classic with a Rotax 912 UL. I want to put on an Aviation Products 6" tailwheel on because some of my takeoffs and landings are off runway, gravel, dirt & grass. I currently have a 4" tailwheel made by Aviation Products that weighs 2 lbs. 12.3oz. The new 6" tailwheel weighs 4 lbs. 8.1 oz.

Have any Mark III Classic owners changed to the larger / softer tailwheel?  If so, has it been an improvement over the 4-inch wheel? Is there a reason NOT to make the change?

Kurt
Kolb Mark III Classic
Rotax 912UL

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Jerry-TS-MkII

Joined: 23 Aug 2017
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Tailwheel Reply with quote

Two extra pounds hanging that far back will likely change your weight
and balance significantly. Tail heavy is never good! Or as they say,
"if at first you don't succeed.. tail heavy is not for you.."

On 2021-06-18 4:03 pm, K I wrote:
Quote:
Hi List,

I have a Mark III classic with a Rotax 912 UL. I want to put on an
Aviation Products 6" tailwheel on because some of my takeoffs and
landings are off runway, gravel, dirt & grass. I currently have a 4"
tailwheel made by Aviation Products that weighs 2 lbs. 12.3oz. The
new 6" tailwheel weighs 4 lbs. 8.1 oz.

Have any Mark III Classic owners changed to the larger / softer
tailwheel? If so, has it been an improvement over the 4-inch wheel?
Is there a reason NOT to make the change?

Kurt
Kolb Mark III Classic
Rotax 912UL

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
twoflyboys(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Tailwheel Reply with quote

I did something like that on my firestar 1. I had to take it off after one flight and it only weighed like 3lbs
Very dangerous
Salvador

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Jun 18, 2021, at 3:52 PM, 1957grnchev(at)bluemarble.net wrote:

Two extra pounds hanging that far back will likely change your weight and balance significantly. Tail heavy is never good! Or as they say, "if at first you don't succeed.. tail heavy is not for you.."

> On 2021-06-18 4:03 pm, K I wrote:
> Hi List,
> I have a Mark III classic with a Rotax 912 UL. I want to put on an
> Aviation Products 6" tailwheel on because some of my takeoffs and
> landings are off runway, gravel, dirt & grass. I currently have a 4"
> tailwheel made by Aviation Products that weighs 2 lbs. 12.3oz. The
> new 6" tailwheel weighs 4 lbs. 8.1 oz.
> Have any Mark III Classic owners changed to the larger / softer
> tailwheel? If so, has it been an improvement over the 4-inch wheel?
> Is there a reason NOT to make the change?
> Kurt
> Kolb Mark III Classic
> Rotax 912UL

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours