Jacking Mono
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Peter pender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

A question if I may, can you jack a mono off the wings or should it be lifted from the fuse/engine frame. Wishing to check flap/gear retraction.
Cheers Peter

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

I just lifted from the top two engine mounts (airframe side - not on the rubber) with straps.  Works great.
Cheers,
Pete

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 5:18 PM Peter pender <ppen(at)live.com.au (ppen(at)live.com.au)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Peter pender" <ppen(at)live.com.au (ppen(at)live.com.au)>

A question if I may, can you jack a mono off the wings or should it be lifted from the fuse/engine frame. Wishing to check flap/gear retraction.
Cheers Peter

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Hi Peter, This is what I do. See photo. Use long bolts into cowl anchor nuts to secure rope position. Once lifted secure aircraft with sawhorses either side of fuselage under wing spar position. Lower and raise under as need be. Use tow rope. Takes 30mins.
Cheers,
Tim
[img]cid:26F393B9-52B9-4696-8AE1-86493C433F6E[/img]

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton
CHRISTCHURCH 8052
Hom 03315166
Quote:
On 18/06/2021, at 10:26, Pete Zut <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

[...]

image0.jpeg
 Filesize:  95.38 KB
 Viewed:  6349 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

Back to top
rparigoris

Joined: 24 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Hi Peter
I have 2 pump jacks I've lifted plane up by root of wings. Motor and prop was installed but weight of plane probably 75% and no wing root fairings. Think with 100% weight it would work fine but you need to distribute weight evenly. I stacked a number of fairly hard rubber foam knee pads to conform to wing.
I much prefer dual scissor jack dolly that allows wing rigging, gear retraction and you can even roll plane sideways:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah1S270Nwg9VxHmeciLuKZ4QTdYy?e=D53TX3
Ron P.

Peter pender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Thanks fellas,
Will lift it with the engine hoist as per Tim’s photo.

Cheers Peter

Patrick Tunney

Joined: 24 Sep 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Hi i used a strapp around the through the engine mount frame and an hoist.

IMG_2451.JPG
 Filesize:  2.08 MB
 Viewed:  6299 Time(s)

IMG_2451.JPG

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Peter, Lifting the plane via an engine hoist is a good solution if you have one! Otherwise you can lift a Europa via its wings although you need to be extremely careful that the load is well spread. Dealing with a puncture on a trigear is relatively easy by getting someone to lift the wing on the punctured side and putting a well padded trestle under that wing to keep the punctured wheel off the ground. this technique could be doubled up to get a mono off the ground, but there are better methods. I would recommend making a jacking block as in the picture the two sawn off coach bolts fit into two equivalent holes drilled in the U/C arm and that gives a firm horizontal surface for putting any conventional jack under. This was the only solution available when my friend suffered a puncture on one of the Arran Islands. It is also worth considering building a dolly, which makes all maintenance tasks very much easier. Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2021-06-17 23:03, Peter pender wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Peter pender" <ppen(at)live.com.au (ppen(at)live.com.au)>A question if I may, can you jack a mono off the wings or should it be lifted from the fuse/engine frame. Wishing to check flap/gear retraction.Cheers PeterRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p= --> http://www.matronics.com/; http://www.matro=====================

4.JPG
 Filesize:  2.85 MB
 Viewed:  6279 Time(s)

4.JPG

Back to top
budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

I've had to help recover a couple of collapsed gear mono's and a couple of trigears with destroyed nose gears.

In my opinion, the best and fastest way is get a mono up safely and off a runway or out of a field is a wrecker with an extension hoist arm..

I prefer to pull the top of the cowl and attach a strap to the the gear frame. Lift slightly with the extended arm of the crane and pull the plane to a safe location. Get the main down when safe and stable and get it locked down. If it won't lock down?

Remove the wings, tail planes if the crane can't handle much weight and simply pull the fuselage to an area where you can safely pull the gear down. If the gear is badly damaged and cannot be safely lowered and locked, use straps, foam, shoring or padding to protect the fuselage from rolling around on the flatbed. I have an electric winch on my flatbed so with some ply I can pull a mono fuselage up onto my trailer even in the mud. Although in hind sight a tractor would have been handy with a back hoe on it. You can get up to the axles in mud in a field with a tow truck and trailer.

Normally the mono gear will extend and can be locked. A forward facing trolley will hold even a damaged or unlocked gear. In my case I've used the trolley confidently and using plywood rolled the aircraft out of the mud on ply sheets. Egyptians used planks and rollers, and that will work also.

At KPCM, if on hard surface or blocking the runway, I just use the engine hoist and jack the plane high enough to slide a 4 wheel automotive trolley under the main and pull to the hangar to clear the runway quickly. Without a trolley, It looks funny like the Keystone Cops as we have used an engine hoist attached to the plane, and pulled the hoist using a rope and golf cart with two of us standing on the engine hoist to keep the engine hoist from tipping aft and the plane swinging forward where it may hit the hydraulic jack. You do what you have to do when you have limited equipment. After that I found a single 4 wheel trolley (the kind that fits under all four auto tires to allow the car to be rolled around) and keep it handy at all times. We keep one at KPCM also for flat tires. To change the tire in the hangar or if you have a spare wheel, if it is just a mono flat tire, use a jack pad and practice its use and roll your spare wheel into place. Most airports don't like the runway closed that long.

If you knock the nose gear off of a trigear. I have always been lucky and had a spare nose gear from a kit, but if not, I jack with the wrecker or engine hoist and pull to a safe area. Remove the nose gear (use a saws-all to cut the springs off or the stub if you must. Next I make a short saw horse tripod and put the assembly on my rolling wheel dolly to get it carefully on my flatbed or if that it is not available; pull slowly to the hangar for proper work. If time critical, I fashion a weight to the rear tie down or remove the stabs and couple of ropes with weights attached to the stab tubes. Don't tow this way carelessly. Pull the plane with great caution as it can tip up again on the nose doing more damage.

If it is a trigear main wheel, simply put your back under the spar and have the airport attendant or assistant slide your car wheel dolly under what is left of the main. I've never seen a whole main gear leg ripped off from a bad landing.

Anyway, that is how I did it and no further damage occurred to the aircraft. I don't think I would roll the plane on its side using one wing since every airport I know has an engine hoist or we can get a wrecker there in a timely manner. The problem is getting the airport authorities to comply with your request. They can be quite a pain and use slings around the wings and destroy flaps and leading edges. They don't care. And many not even listen to you as "They have a procedure"!

Be prepared to foot the bill. A farmer who volunteers his tractor and plywood deserves a good tip. Airport authorities and their crash recovery folks are another story all together.

Just my experience,
Bud Yerly

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

“I've had to help recover a couple of collapsed gear mono's and a couple of trigears with destroyed nose gears.”
Hi Bud,
From experience and a good thing to know, the local airport fire service have excellent huge inflatable bags of differing size they use for lifting heavy things. Ideal for lifting Monowheel Europa aircraft! One under each wing root/spar area and within 20 mins they had my machine lifted to enable the lowering of the undercarriage. Very easy structurally sound. Saved the day! Sheepishly I pulled the aircraft into the hangar and lowered the doors. 2004. Never again!
Cheers,
Tim
Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 20/06/2021, at 10:44 AM, budyerly(at)msn.com wrote:

I've had to help recover a couple of collapsed gear mono's and a couple of trigears with destroyed nose gears.

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

I wish ours had those air bags.
Bud

On 2021-06-20 10:44, Mallard wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Mallard" <james(at)kingdom.ie (james(at)kingdom.ie)>

Hello All,
Does anyone or the Europa Club have drawings for the proprietary 'Dolly' to which David Joyce refers in his post?

Thank you
James

--------
Seat of my pants

http://forums.matronics.cosp; - NEW arget="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com< - List Contribution Web Sit a href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank" rel="n========

<009.JPG>

image1.jpeg
 Filesize:  86.47 KB
 Viewed:  6239 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

Back to top
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Alan, thanks for that. My reply was rejected because the picture was >3 mb. Mine has rather bigger wheels and also two holes though each outer support piece for wing nutted bolts to go though 1 cm holes in the fus into captive nuts, in order to firmly fix dolly to plane. It also has steel plates with holes through just in front of the wheels to allow the dolly to be screwed down in the trailer. Regards, David

On 2021-06-20 10:44, Mallard wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Mallard" <james(at)kingdom.ie (james(at)kingdom.ie)>Hello All,Does anyone or the Europa Club have drawings for the proprietary 'Dolly' to which David Joyce refers in his post?Thank youJames--------Seat of my pantsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502469#502469http://forums.matronics.cosp; - NEW arget="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://wiki.matronics.com< - List Contribution Web Sit a href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank" rel="n========

<009.JPG>

image1.jpeg
 Filesize:  86.47 KB
 Viewed:  6238 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

Back to top
Mallard

Joined: 22 Oct 2019
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

David are your bolts into the fuselage primarily to secure the aircraft during transit in your trailer?

Regards James

Seat of my pants
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

They serve a dual function of keeping the plane secure on the trailer for maintenance or for transport. The wheels of the dolly are right at the front of the dolly in order to stay in contact with the ground when you open up the jack mechanism. Without the bolts or firm strapping of the dolly to the fuselage the dolly is not stable and can rotate in a back end down sense and lose proper contact with the fuselage, taking all its weight on the leading edge of the dolly. David

On 2021-06-20 18:07, Mallard wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Mallard" <james(at)kingdom.ie (james(at)kingdom.ie)>David are your bolts into the fuselage primarily to secure the aircraft during transit in your trailer? Regards James--------Seat of my pantsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?= --> http://www.matronics;--> http://w========================

rparigoris

Joined: 24 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Hi James
"Does anyone or the Europa Club have drawings for the proprietary 'Dolly' to which David Joyce refers in his post?"
I posted a link to my OneDrive folder that has details on my dolly in this thread on 06/17. There's some of hyper missing so you will need to copy and paste URL.
I began with Roger Targett's design.
I have all details on Europa Owners for Rodger's design, but the site has issues and is very slow. You can try this link, give it plenty of time, if it times out click try again. You may need to do this many times.:
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=77261
Ron P.

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Peter,Following on from David’s suggestion, I use a very similar method for a puncture repair
of the main wheel. Instead of drilling two holes in the undercarriage arm, I found two bolts drilled into a wooden block with rubber washers and placing the bolts between the wheel and arm is sufficient to lift the aircraft. See photos. Either two jacks as shown or one trolley jack works well. I carry the wooden block with me with a spare inner tube but not used in 18 years flying.
Cheers,
Tim
[img]cid:58BB3424-E66A-453C-9B2F-31E1E41BCDD7-L0-001[/img][img]cid:6037B256-6D45-46C0-80B6-C26FE7A47A46-L0-001[/img][img]cid:B2FA7814-BD73-4A13-A4D8-131655E31602-L0-001[/img][img]cid:3832886D-F890-4EE5-991E-3A5CB48CF643-L0-001[/img][img]cid:0828E16F-24DF-458B-9757-8DBCCBB90268-L0-001[/img]

[img]cid:0FC807A4-FA8B-4C8D-86E5-23D9AE6514A7-L0-001[/img]
Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:

On 2021-06-17 23:03, Peter pender wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Peter pender" <ppen(at)live.com.au (ppen(at)live.com.au)>

A question if I may, can you jack a mono off the wings or should it be lifted from the fuse/engine frame. Wishing to check flap/gear retraction.
Cheers Peter

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p= --> http://www.matronics.com/; http://www.matro=====================

<4.JPG>

image7.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  6211 Time(s)

image7.jpeg

image11.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  6211 Time(s)

image11.jpeg

image6.jpeg
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  6211 Time(s)

image6.jpeg

Back to top
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

Two more photo for clarity.[img]cid:3832886D-F890-4EE5-991E-3A5CB48CF643-L0-001[/img][img]cid:0828E16F-24DF-458B-9757-8DBCCBB90268-L0-001[/img]

Sent from my iPadTim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand.
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
021 0640221
Quote:
On 21/06/2021, at 4:23 PM, timward <ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:

Peter,Following on from David’s suggestion, I use a very similar method for a puncture repair
of the main wheel. Instead of drilling two holes in the undercarriage arm, I found two bolts drilled into a wooden block with rubber washers and placing the bolts between the wheel and arm is sufficient to lift the aircraft. See photos. Either two jacks as shown or one trolley jack works well. I carry the wooden block with me with a spare inner tube but not used in 18 years flying.
Cheers,
Tim
<image7.jpeg>
[img]cid:6037B256-6D45-46C0-80B6-C26FE7A47A46-L0-001[/img]<image11.jpeg>
[img]cid:3832886D-F890-4EE5-991E-3A5CB48CF643-L0-001[/img][img]cid:0828E16F-24DF-458B-9757-8DBCCBB90268-L0-001[/img]

<image6.jpeg>

On 2021-06-17 23:03, Peter pender wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Peter pender" <ppen(at)live.com.au (ppen(at)live.com.au)>

A question if I may, can you jack a mono off the wings or should it be lifted from the fuse/engine frame. Wishing to check flap/gear retraction.
Cheers Peter

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p= --> http://www.matronics.com/; http://www.matro=====================

<4.JPG>

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Jacking Mono Reply with quote

<<...and can rotate in a back end down sense and lose proper contact with the fuselage, taking all its weight on the leading edge of the dolly.>>
Resulting in permanent dents to the fuselage skin.

Ducnan McF.
Quote: